1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is the Jets game? 9 wins makes the playoffs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Oct 30, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/art...en-broncos-for-real-well-find-out-soon-enough

That is important, now if we split, or beat the Jets and Pats, our playoff chances jump, we would be 3-0 or 4-0 in the Division, as well as facing 4 somewhat winnable games after the Patriots game.

A win against the Jets means we win all tie breakers against them as well as moving them to 1-3 in the AFCE.

A win against the Pats means we move to 4-0 in the AFCE, the Pats move to 1-2...

A win against the Jets means we move to the inside rail of the horse race.

2. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    The Jets game is very important,because like you said it would really help in the division and tie breakers.However in my opinion every game from here on out is important,we can't afford to lose many more games,hopefully our Fins show up ready for each game the rest of the season.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I just want to beat the JEST. It this time, I really don't think about playoffs, ask me again come December about playoffs. For me, this is too early to think about the postseason, if we're good enough, we'll make them when that time comes.

Winning this week in New York is the only thing I care about this weekend:up:

cnc66, mullingan and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    it's only as important as the 1st 5 games we played and the next 10 we play. a 9 win team may make the playoffs in other afc divisions but we saw a 11-5 and a 10-6 team not make the playoffs in the east last yr.heck we had to win our last game of the season just to squeze in .i can't wait for the day that we don't have to worry about what 2-3 other teams do down the stretch.

5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    My God Padre I swear over the last week you have been in my head. :lol:

I have been thinking about this scenario ever since the last game (I refuse to mention it other than that).

Personally I think you have to get at least 10 wins to hope for the playoffs and as I see it Miami could technically lose the next two then rack up down the stretch against a sub par schedule. That is a could situation, however, because I think if this team can't split the next two they can't win 8 straight because the team just doesn't project to be that good.

I see it like this, Miami has to shoot realistically to lose 5 and that keeps pressure off of them. They need to know they have a little room left and play loose. For instance this week against the Jets psychologically the team should be looking at positives such as bad weather and how that can factor into a running battle. Miami knows it'll be close and they have to prepare mentally to play 60 minutes.

I think that although losing the next two doesn't put the nail in the coffin it certainly puts the nail on the coffin and hammer ready to fall. If Miami sweeps the next two I will be thrilled because their next four games after NE are: TB, @CAR, @Buffalo, and @Jacksonville before NE comes into Miami. I think Miami can sweep those four games personally and don't forget the Titans are still on the schedule as well as a Week 17 Steelers team who could be resting players. Still no game is guaranteed and if one of those teams upset Miami and they lose the next two I think the season is over. Therefore Miami needs to split the next two to give real hope and not have a desperation situation. Miami could be 7-5 going into the second Pats game and the Pats would be close to that record as well (they have the Jets, @Colts, and @NO before that second game--notable games).

I see it as a split gets Miami a real chance to have a great second half of the season even at 3-5 for the first part. Miami has the softest schedule in the AFC East from here on out.

With all that said how does that answer the importance of the Jets game? Well its the key game I think to get the split. Quite frankly NE has been great at home this year beating ATL and Baltimore at home and the chances Miami upsets them there I think are at best 25%. The Jets on the other hand lost to Buffalo at home, the weather looks bad, and Sanchez can be rattled even with a weak/banged up defense. Its a game that will be a battle but a game that can be won. It's not a season breaking game but it could still save the season.

On a scale of 1-10 the Jets game is an 8 out of 10.

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, being 2-4 is not a great position to be in, that is why Sunday is a huge game for the Phins playoff chances.

The Jets can jibber jabber all they want to, we gotta win that game.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly Sking, of the two we just beat the Jets so it would figure to be a better bet for a win, then we go on a 4 game win streak, then face the Pats in Foxboro.

The hard to predict games are the Texans and the Jags, we win those two, we are knocking on back to back playoff appearances, this team is a bit more raw than the 08 team was so my hopes aren't high, but it can be done.

That is, "if" we win this Sunday.

Let Barkin' Bart bark, we just gotta win.

dolfan7171 and sking29 like this.
  8. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well actually that game will be in Miami. :wink2:

9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I appreciate your effort Padre, and it would be good any other week but this one...
    This is the jets week.
    So therefore, winning is not important, it is essential.

dolfan7171 and padre31 like this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Win the Battle, lose the War Mark

11. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    If we dont run that table then ....I dont think I have ever said this....we should just miss the playoffs just because we'd have no business being there.

Dont give me any of that any given Sunday mess either.

Those teams stink.

Those four wins on our record right now gives us 6 wins so we have to pick up another 4 wins IMO to make it in the playoffs.

I think a win this weekend is crucial as it would mean that another win against Buffalo (which is totally possible) and a win against Houston (we've got to get that first win against them finally), and suddenly we just need one more which I am sure we can manage it so long as we dont self destruct or get screwed by the Refs ....AGAIN.

Where as some of you might think that the refs will be out for us this week...it may actually go the other way since that article makes it so clear how we got robbed that we may get the benefit of a few calls. Although I dont expect it to be more than just one game. (sorry Jet fans...not really:lol:)

TiP54 likes this.
  12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Well, winning no war will require losing to the jests.
    Therefore, our season could be donefore for all i care, we have to beat that team. Beating the jests alone wont get us in to the playoffs, but it will help. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this offseason gonna be whole lot better knowing that we swept those guys, and a got something of a streak going for us.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Lets focus on the Jets first.

steveincolorado likes this.
  14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    this early in the season you have to shoot for 12 wins. maybe in 4 weeks you can start to lower that nuimber. too early to coun t on 10 wins winning you anything though

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

It may have been an easier schedule but I do believe this is a better team that last years, and I also believe we're at the same record we were at this point last year. So why not?

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ozz!
    Haven't seen ya around! :hi5:
    How you been?

Ozzy likes this.
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

:up:

I'm doing pretty well considering I hurt my knee a week and a half ago and I'm waiting on my freaking insurance company to approve my MRI but its only the MCL which will most likely not require surgery. The pain is not that bad now but cant wait to get back on my skate.

Anywho, I've been around, just reading most of the time.

Hope thing are good with you?

18. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    tomorrow IS essential to having any type of a successful season ...

to have any hope of winning the DIV, we MUST finish 5-1, and have 10 wins ...

4-2 and 9 wins is not going to get us anywhere ... i doubt a WC is even in the cards at 9.

the tough games left are NE, NE, HOU, PIT ... we really need to win 2 of these ...

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  19. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

12 games the Dolphins will win.....

(passes flat hand in front of screen and does Jedi mind trick)