1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is the 2011 RB Draft Class Looking?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Tone_E, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    In light of Ronnie's availability and the fact that he is a free agent next year, I believe that even if Ronnie sticks this year, he is gone next.

There has been a lot of discussion and speculation that we will actually look to address the situation in this year's draft. However, we should have a good idea come draft weekend if we will have Ronnie for this year or not. If we do, I am wondering if we can address it in next year's draft.

It seems every year there are 'special' players at the position, like Reggie Bush, D.McFadded, Adrian Peterson, CJ Spiller, etc. Whether they are special is another debate.

Ultimately, I am asking a few things actually;

1. Is CJ Spiller the only 'special' player in this years class or would guys like Mathews, Tate etc. be in and around the same class as Spiller?
    and
    2. How is next year's depth at RB and are there any 'special' players? I think that would be the year we concentrate on drafting a replacement for Ronnie - again considering we are going into this season with him.

2. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Mark Ingram will be the headlining running back prospect for next year, and he's a stud. I don't much like the depth at the position behind him. In comparison to this year, I would take Ingram over Spiller. Ingram will be a 20+ carry per game back in the NFL. Spiller won't be that.

Tone_E likes this.
  3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Ok, so regarding your opinion then, it is best to address the position this year with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Maybe L.Blount in the 6th or 7th.

Is the general consensus then to address it this year with the greater depth?

4. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Running back is probably the easiest position for a rookie to come in and make an immediate impact. With all the needs this team has defensively, I probably would wait till next year to draft a runner.

Tone_E likes this.
  5. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Ingram is a beast but as far as this year goes, I m not such a big fan of Spiller. I like Hardesty and Best first and foremost then comes Matthews and Tate. Blount is a big dude but he is NO brandon Jacobs, I dont like his feet, I dont think he will be much.

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    His backup will be better IMO. Richardson I think his name is. That guy is a monster.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    From the Senior class running backs, I still like Evan Royster of Penn St. Yes, I know he's a Penn St. running back and should be feared but he's got some talent IMO. I also like Kendall Hunter, though he's had some injuries recently and he's small. Probably a mid-round guy. While he is small, he's tough as nails, has very good leg drive (or had it when I watched him) and has pretty good vision. People are going to like Demarco Murray of Oklahoma and while I think he's probably one of the most gifted running backs I've seen, he can't stay in one piece.

Trent Richardson is an animal. You're not suppose to be that big, that strong, that quick and that fast all at once lol.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  8. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I know. I thought it was criminal having that guy come in in the 4th QT when the opposing defense is gassed. That guy the first thing I noticed was how explosive he was.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6gpFTWkZY"]YouTube- Trent Richardson's Amazing Touchdown Run[/ame]

I'm almost ready to say he is a better prospect than Adrian Peterson.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He was the top running back in the nation coming out of high school. I remember the big talk around him and how EVERYONE wanted him. Dude is just nasty talented.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Spiller's ahead of others because he is dangerous in more ways than one and he's proven at the college level that he can be. The word 'special' can be used in different ways IMO but as far as players that can take it to the house on every play in this draft, I think Spiller may be the only guy who is one. He's shown in the past he can run in between the tackles, though he is not consistent yet IMO, and he's shown that he can turn the corner and outrun anybody and everybody. Further, he's a quality pass catcher. I think the difference between CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson is that Spiller's had a lot of small injuries to his legs. Seemed like every other game, he got nicked up.

Ryan Matthews has talent IMO. He can run in between tackles, turn the corner and has a good burst to take it to the end zone IMO. Problem is, he doesn't always gain yards after contact. Personally, I think he's got talent but I also think that a guy like Montario Hardesty of Tennessee has talent too and isn't far behind Matthews. Hardesty is a one cut and downhill runner that has good hands too. I've seen him run wheel routes and out routes as well as catch the ball over his shoulder down the sideline. I've always been impressed by running backs that can do that so I like Hardesty quite a bit. Problem with him is that he doesn't have that production over the last few years. Last year, the Volunteers brought in Bryce Brown and it seemed like Hardesty finally felt threatened and stepped up.

Tate is a bruiser IMO. He's got some wiggle and he's big too. I've been beating his drum for about a year and a half as Ronnie's replacement so I've been a fan of his for a while I guess you can say. I think he's got enough talent to succeed at the next level. He's had some injuries too in the past IIRC.

I think we would be best off drafting a running back this year if you want to replace Ronnie. Next years class is not as deep as this one and I think you can get some late round talent in this draft. Since the league has become a two headed running attack in backfields, you can afford to take a running back late because you know he won't have to carry the majority of the carries. With that said, you have guys like Dimitri Nance of ASU, Deji Karim of Southern Illinois and Pat Paschall of North Dakota St. who can do some things for you at a low price. You also have Lonyae Miller of Fresno St. who has talent as a cutback runner IMO but he's not a guy who you want pass blocking. He'll get your quarterback killed. If you take a chance on him and work on his blocking skills, you have a late round talent that can help you in the run game.

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Noel Devine? anyone?

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Very talented but small. Might be a change of pace back at the next level IMO.

13. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Part of me likes Lonyae Miller more than Ryan Matthews. I like one cut and downhill runners. My favorite runners in this draft are Anthony Dixon, Montario Hardesty, and Ben Tate. I don't like runners that take false steps and dance in the hole, and I think Matthews does that at times. I think it is why he doesn't generate anything after contact.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm the same way, regarding one cut and downhill runners. I'm with you on the three listed running backs. The more I watch Hardesty, the more I like him. Tate I've always liked and Dixon is a big back, which I like.

I like Matthews, some more than others. Miller has a nose for the end zone and that always brings my attention. He's also had a light workload at Fresno St. and he's still produced a good YPC and a good number of touchdowns. You can't ignore that production IMO. However, like I said, he will get you KILLED in pass blocking.

15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Wes Bunting appears to love Javhid Best. I like him some, but I think he is a back that will end up breaking down with his size and the way he runs.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jahvid has nice open field vision IMO but I think he benefited some from that run blocking offensive line. They do a good job blocking at Cal IMO.

I agree with you on him breaking down.

17. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I like the Wisconsin running back Clay. Pretty damn good bruiser back.