1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How likely/unlikely is Victor Cruz??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Lot of talks and reports on NFLN that "a few" teams are willing to pay the restricted FA cost to acquire him.

Unless we were too trade back, IMO that is a high price to pay. But his ability is unquestioned.

I really am curious since it was mentioned here before if this is a real possibility.

2. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    A first round pick for a guy close to 27? Much like Wallace, but I think maybe a more complete wr. I say no unless price is reasonable.

3. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't see it for a first. Now if they'd take a second + a fifth or later? I would think we would have a lot more interest in trading for Cruz than Harvin given our recent insistence on high character players.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Curious if multiple teams are really willing too give up a kings ransom THEN a big contract to Cruz, or maybe his agent just has NFLN ties and is stirring the pot.

Who knows.

5. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    Giving up a 1st round pick and 12 mil a year for a wr is just too much, when you factor in you can use your 1st pick on a wr and pay the 10 mil 4 year deal that floyd got at 13 last year. It's just so much cheaper to use the pick imo then to trade and give out the huge contract too big of a plus minus swing.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Agree, but it seems some teams are considering it.

7. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    yeah its even cheaper than I thought to use our pick this year looking at floyds contract at 13 its crazy not to draft one honestly

12th pick in the draft and 10-12 mil a year or use the pick on a wr and pay http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/michael-floyd/ 4 year 10 mil super cap friendly deal. It's way to risky imo and its not a move a team in our position should consider making either. We have enough holes to consider with out trading away our 12th pick. Having to pay a huge cap number when the way the NFL is set up now so you get good players on the cheap from the draft.

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Miami Dolphins best option at WR...

Victor Cruz.

I speculated back in January that if he was available, Miami should go after him. I didn't necessarily believe it would happen, primarily because it was assumed the Giants wouldn't let him get to RFA. At this point, its looking like him being tendered could very well happen.

You have to give up a first-round pick, but at the same time I think that also means you could get him for lesser money. He won't be cheap but I don't see him getting Bowe or Wallace money. None of the WRs available in the first round are worthy of the 12th pick IMO. I'm not much of a fan of Wallace, especially at a high price. I think Jennings fits the offense, but he is 30 and not the healthiest. Is Cruz better than Harvin? On the field its close, but Victor Cruz is much less of a risk. By all appearances he has great character, and doesn't have a history of injuries.

If Miami is intent on bringing in a FA WR, he is the best move. He is perfect for the scheme, and is one of the most versatile WRs in the league. He can play inside and out. He can make plays downfield as well as near the LOS. Most importantly, he is a very good route-runner. He has great ball skills and breaks tackles. He pretty much fits the bill for everything that you want in a WR:

[video=youtube;1D4BQHBj534]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1D4BQHBj534[/video]

Who is with me?

Ohio Fanatic and Fin-Omenal like this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Merge???

Stringer Bell likes this.
  10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The thing with Cruz is youre not limited to where he can play or what he can do. He drops some easy ones sometimes but hes absolutely one of the top 5 WR's in the league. He can play the slot or x or y positions. He can run every route. I would prefer to just sign a player rather then give up 12 but if Wallace was getting upwards of say 13M and Jennings was insistent on a 4-5 year deal at say 9M per then Id reconsider about moving 12 for Cruz. I would, like you say Fin-o move down and try and grab a few extra picks that way I could move back up late if we wanted to.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Did you read my mind?

12. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I like Cruz a lot and think he is an excellent choice too. Just not sure how I feel about giving up a 1st for him...

13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Giving up a 1st and at least $10M per seems like too much to me.

14. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    He's from Jersey so I know he's not a quitter and won't BS or sugarcoat things.
    Good kid and good upbringing from a single Mom who made him do the right things growing up....

Oh,and he can catch the ball well,run decent routes and play football too, but not for a 1st rounder.
    If he doesn't have that big pay day letdown,stays healthy and doesn't do that crappy dance in the endzone,
    he would be a nice addition.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  15. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd be ecstatic with Cruz but I think the price is likely to be too high.

Would have to appeal to the S Fla Latin demographic though.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Knicks fans, think a like. :hi5:

unluckyluciano and Boik14 like this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I understand the compensation is a lot, but I think this could be an extremely rare circumstance. Look at the FA WR market this season. Brian Hartline didn't even make it to FA. Young WRs of this ability simply aren't ever available.

18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    :jump:

unluckyluciano and ToddPhin like this.
  19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    The more I think about the capabilities of our offense with a Cruz, the more parting with the compensation wouldn't sting as much.

Here are a list of #12 picks since 2009.

Fletcher Cox
    Christian Ponder
    Ryan Matthews
    Knowshon Moreno

Would you trade any of these guys too make Cruz available to you???

I would.

anthony0187 likes this.
  20. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    I dunno if you could look at it with just 12th player taken i would probably look at 12-15

21. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    This commercial annoys the hell out of me. Who would pick the Hawks and Timberwolves if you could pick any two teams to watch play each other?

22. Mrtree

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry wrong thread

23. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would as well. As a matter of fact Id trade all 4 of those guys combined for 1 Cruz. Every one of those players is either average (Ponder, Moreno), unproven (Cox) or injury prone (Mathews)

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The player from #12th pick plus a pretty high level FA considering the contract you'd have to give him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    not Fletcher Cox (plus the saved FA money).
    There are some draft scenarios where I'd rather have a player at 12 + the big chunk of cap space.
    Trading back and acquiring an extra 2nd makes it much more palatable though.

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's a lot, but think about a Tannehill-to-Cruz connection for the next several years. I think many of us would forget the price pretty quickly. I wonder if Giants would take a second this year and second next year for him.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Look, if you want big playmakers you have to pay for them. It would be nice to get these guys at a discount but that's not how it works.

I'd gladly pay anything that's somewhat reasonable to get playmakers for Tannehill.

Den54 and Boik14 like this.
  28. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think we can agree on this but you can't pay and give up the 12th pick in the draft. If you want to use picks in a trade its to trade up in the draft like the redskins did for rg3.

29. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Agreed. I don't think this is even a real possibility. I'm just saying in general that if you want weapons, be prepared to pay for them.

30. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Something tells me we tried this before; trying to acquire a WR and then give him money. Not always the best way. Retain certain guys, over others. I'd rather pay Reshad Jones a bit of coin over Sean Smith. Jones is still raw, but he can make plays and brings a good dynamic to the defense. But something to consider is he is also benefiting from the scheme as well - that to me isn't in doubt.

ssmiami likes this.
  31. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It's not always the best way. but a good QB needs a playmaking WR, otherwise it's too much of an uphill battle everyweek. and Cruz would help Hartline and Bess if their the #2 and #3 WRs. Then draft Ertz at TE. that would make Tannehill's job easier. Cruz-Hartline-Bess_Ertz_Miller

32. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I would give up a 1st for Cruz.
    OR
    I would give Cruz a big contract.

I wouldn't do both.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  33. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Have to trade down from 12 first... the 12th pick is just too much (and the salary). Trade down from 12 to the mid to late 20's, pick up an extra 2nd... make a run for Cruz, draft Swope as well with one of our 2nd rounders (we'd have three)... now we're talking.

34. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Not a bad idea but finding someone to trade down with prior to the draft wouldn't be easy. Maybe if we were sitting at the top of the draft but 12?

Also, isn't the deadline for signing restricted free agents a week before the draft?

Your idea is good, just extremely difficult to pull off

Paul 13 likes this.
  35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It is difficult. You're right about that. The last time we had the 12th pick, we traded down with San Diego.... albeit on draft day. For the Dolphins to move the 12th pick in a trade down prior to the draft, there would have to be players involved. and I'm just thinking out loud...

say, with the Packers...

1.12 and DE Jared Odrick (34 player for them)

for

1.26, 2.55 and TE Jermichael Finley.

or the Broncos...

1.12 and WR Davone Bess

for 1.28, 2.58 and Safety Rahim Moore... or 1.28 and DE Elvis Dumervil.

Just stirring the pot.

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The first one, yes. The second one yes. The third one (with Dumervil) not so sure....hes a situational player and if you want what he provides just sign Osi or Abraham...same players but Id take Osi or Abraham before Dumervil....

37. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Cruz is almost my favorite player in the whole league, ( I'm a Jersey boy, like 40% of this fan base is ) I agree of all the options available to us; he's the best player/fit (2nd was Bowe, 3rd Jennings). But your talking about 1st round compensation along with top 5 money at the position. You could probably get Cordarrelle Patterson and Mike Wallace with the same resources. Still, bringing cruz in his prime to miami might just be the home run, where as wallace or jennings was a nice stand up double. I havent considred this much as i didnt think it was very realistic. But if we're targeting a WR @ #12, you have to consider it ! Furthermore, Revis would come at similar cost... so same goes for CB.

38. I usually hate the idea of trading for a WR but I think it's probably worth it in this case, the only guy that really gets me excited to draft at #12 is milliner and he will most likely be gone by then.

Sent from the depths of hell
    using Tapatalk.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    A Dolphin named Cruz has some chemistry to it.