1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many HDMI inputs do I need?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by DrAstroZoom, Dec 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I'm just about to buy an HDTV. I have a PS3, so I know I want a TV that has at least one HDMI input. However, I am wondering if I need a TV with two HDMI inputs if I'm planning on plugging in both a PS3 and HD cable from my cable company?

To ask the question more briefly: do I need two HDMI inputs, or will an HDTV with one HDMI input be sufficient?

2. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i would get one with 2. you could feasibly switch an hdmi cable back and forth between the ps3 and cable, but it'd be kind of a pain. however, make sure that your cable company even provides boxes with hdmi hookups, otherwise you might only be able to use it on your ps3. and if you're getting a nice enough hdtv, you should be able to notice the difference with an hdmi cable so it is worth it.

usually though, most newer tv's should have 2 hdmi ports anyway, i haven't seen too many with only 1 that are brand new.

this site might help a bit:
    Understanding Digital Cable TV

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You need as many HDMI inputs as HDMI-capable devices you have. I know that sounds like a Captain Obvious answer, but a lot of people don't consider their media habits when deciding on this stuff.

You've mentioned a PS3 and an HD cable box as peripherals so far. Do you normally hook anything else up to your TV? Are you planning on getting a 360 at some point?

It's also worth noting that you can buy an HDMI splitter box. If you need more than two ports in the future, you're not necessarily limited to those two alone if you get a splitter.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    2 would be good. Personally, I need at least 3, but that is why I have an A/V receiver.

Having more than what you currently need (1 as you said) is never a bad thing. Future proofing now can save you some headache later.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  5. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    You can also get an HDMI hub or switch. Radio Shack carries them.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    As mentioned, I would opt for two.

Very similar to having "Firewire" ports on your computer, you might not have a need for them right now, but I garuanteee you will before long :up:

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Monoprice :wink2:

vmarcilfan75 likes this.