How many other NFL GMs have had the opportunity to rebuild their own mess?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Ireland will never ever be able to rebuild this mess.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm in the middle of the Jeff Ireland debate. I think he deserves some criticism, but I also believe he is unfairly attacked and not giving enough credit.

One of the biggest debates with Ireland was the whole Dez Bryant fiasco, and ultimately not drafting him.

I came upon this article, and just had to laugh. The dude is talented, but it's quite obvious why Ireland didn't want him. This dude has serious issues.

Jerry Jones grounds Dez Bryant.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Its a very legitimate question and one that has an obvious answer. Certainly no young, first time GM that has no background of success has been given this kind of break. I can understand wanting some stability in the front office, but really once Ross figured out that Parcells conned him he should have rid himself of anyone Bill P. hired down to trainers and parking attendants.

SuperMarksBros. likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I've made it pretty clear where I stand on Vontae Davis. He was a good pick at the time, has been a dominant player for us most of the time, and has the potential to be a shut down corner in this league. One of the few Parcells/Ireland wins and he shouldn't have been traded away, IMO. Not for a 2nd round pick. Especially when you look at the track record of the guy who will be making the pick if he isn't fired.

And none of the Ireland supporters have answered the question: How many GMs have been awarded the opportunity to rebuild their own failed rosters? And, no, I'm not talking about GMs who have been allowed to rebuild their successful but aged rosters.

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    CK, when you say foregone conclusion, do you mean foregone conclusion he's fired at the end of the season?

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the trade. I'm not sure if I missed them in another thread.

Edit: N/M I found them:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...ded-to-Colts&p=1829871&viewfull=1#post1829871

Agreed. I never thought how attractive the pick might look to prospective GMs. If Ross finally gets rid of Ireland.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bump

It's not even a little bit complicated.

Vontae Davis didn't live up to the value if a first round draft pick, but he was a reasonably successful pick. I realize you're highly unlikely to do the research yourself, so here's the 2009 first round.

How many of those players would go for a 1st round pick if traded today? Matthew Stafford would go for more than one 1st, and Clay Matthews likely would, but after that? Probably not any of them, and I think that's a first round with above-average success historically.

You also can't say Davis was unproductive in the context of that group, either. There are easily 15+ players who have been worse than he has on that list, which makes him very conservatively a pretty average pick in that first round.

7. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I heard you the first time. Maybe I would have responded if your post wasn't filled with smarmy backhanded remarks like the one I bolded.

And I've never said Davis was unproductive. I'm angry we traded him, remember?

And you're right, many first round picks don't live up to the value of the pick. But that doesn't mean it's smart to get rid of a productive first round pick for less than you paid. Especially someone who as at times been a dominant corner. And it goes back to the original question. If you are of the mindset that Vontae was worth trading, and Ireland is fixing his mistake, why is a GM who has produced nothing but a failed roster in 4 years being allowed to clean up his own mess?

8. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think Ted Thompson got a chance to rebuild in GB.

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Carl Peterson.

10. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well Sherman had final say for quite awhile. I suppose it's not totally unlike our present situation

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Don't really think you can make that argument. Over 20 years, most of those years Peterson did a pretty good job of building teams and rebuilding the aging pieces. When his last rebuild failed, he was shown the door.

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Jerry Jones too.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ted Thompson didn't leave the Packers mired in mediocrity for several years into his tenure, though.

Brett Favre did, but that's another issue altogether.

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Let's try this question:

How many NFL GMs, who have never had any kind of proven track record of building winning teams have been allowed to rebuild their own mess?

15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Bottom line is you didn't do your research. Or any research, for that matter.

Why isn't it smart? Because less is bad, even though I've established the new car off the lot reality of drafting a player in the 1st round?

Vontae Davis on his merits got demoted to the third corner. That's not dominant, that's not productive relative to a 2nd round pick.

How is this fixing a mistake?

16. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Tannenbaum, in addition to some of the names already mentioned. A GM "rebuilding" his own stuff is really not nearly as rare as you think.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The question you keep asking is kind of moot. The ABSOLUTE MAIN reason we have been mired in mediocrity is a refusal to address the QB position. Except for the hiccup that was Chad P/Wildcat, most of our problems can point to the QB position.

- We now have potentially addressed the QB position, and when I say "we", I mean Ireland. more importantly, we didn't overpay for guys like Flynn or Orton.
    - We used to complain like hell that the interior of our Oline was complete garbage, that has now been fixed with Cogs-Pouncey-(and hopefully) Jerry. and IMO, Marting will eventually develop into a starting RT.
    - He drafted S Smith, who looks like he may have finally developed into what we were hoping for. credit goes to Ireland. the fact that Smith finally looks this good lessens the blow of losing Vontae. If we trade that pick for someone like Bowe, it's a net gain.
    - We have a good RB in R Bush and Daniel Thomas seems like a much better fit for this offense - credit to Ireland.
    - On the flip side, our safeties still suck. our WRs suck.
    bottom line - Ireland is an average GM.

18. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    In addition to the ones you already named, Maclin, Pettigrew, Harvin, Nicks, Orakpo, Raji and probably someone else I totally missed would either command a 1st round selection outright or stand a good chance to net one if put on the block. There's also a couple of guys on there that their respective teams would hardly move for a 2nd and 6th round selection.

While Vontae certainly hasn't been a complete failure, I also wouldn't call him a "reasonably successful" pick (plus, I'm not sure I "easily" see 15 worse picks on that list). Average might be a word of choice here, but that's precisely the problem with Jeff Ireland, whom, by the way, I don't blame for the Davis trade. He's been way too average in the first rounds for my taste. That doesn't make him as bad a GM as some people here claim but an average GM just isn't good enough to build a winning franchise.

19. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    So silly this crybaby nonsense is..... 4 years of failure ? So lost you are in all of this... 1st of all we went from 1-15 to 11-5. The team was devoid of talent when Parcells got here, worst in the league..... we've had enough talent to be competitive since then. It was the coaching staff, Sparano and Henning in particular, that were insufficient. They have since been replaced. All the Ireland bashers keep doing is pointing to the fact that we've been mediocre/bad the last 3 years, when it's widely understood that we could have used better coaching and player development during that time.

Lets judge the GM logically, basing our opinions off the personnel dept.'s course of actions, which are still going to be influenced by the coaching staff.

:lol: Failed Logic in general.
    Let's look at the situation in it's entirety and not skew things down to try and prove some outlandish point.

We're not in real estate here..... ever hear of devaluation ? Players are more like used autos.
    And your acting like we got no use out of them in the years we had them.

the intial Marshall trade got us an average 1000 yard reciever for a few years, and we still got value when we traded him in, after an arrest,stabbing,mental diagnosis were added to his resume. We got out of that contract/headache, and got two 2nd day picks back in return after using his talents for two years.

the Davis trade was even less surprising..... the fact that we got such a high pick was. The underlying theme here is that you guys single out Ireland for letting these players go when he probably had a hard time doing it. The Coaches didn't want them. He gets rid of the "me 1st" guys for them, and you want his head ? :pity:

20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If Jeff Ireland isn't considered an awful GM, I'd hate to see the track records of some that are.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    When's the last time you saw a veteran traded for a 1st round pick?

It's not going to happen for wide receivers who have never cracked 1000 yards, or pretty good but not great edge rushers. And BJ Raji sure as **** don't belong on that list. He's terrible at his actual job of being a run defender, and I don't think he gets a lot of points being a relatively productive pass rusher for his size despite that.

22. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    You are strongly encouraged to do this. Hell, encourage him to any number of GM's.

23. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    They don't get traded, period. And that's precisely because their respective teams are well aware that they are worth more to them than that 1st round selection. You say Nicks wouldn't command a first round pick? I say the Giants would laugh in your face if you were to offer them one.

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's telling as far as what "par" has become for this regime when a guy that has been held out of multiple games for breaking team rules, including showing up late to practice and still drunk, and has allowed 60.5% of passes to be completed on him for a 8.9 YPA with 13 TDs and 9 INTs, and an average at best career 1.38 yards per pass snap...is a "reasonably successful" pick.

Clipse and Desides like this.
  25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, they do get traded. But it's generally for particularly special players. I think Nicks is a cut above the rest of those pretty good picks, but I still doubt they'd ever get a 1st round pick for him.

26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Debatable, but I'd argue the 2 years going to the AFC Title game count as some degree of success.

27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Please, by all means then put out a working definition for what is a successful draft pick. I look forward to your argument how an above average result for that particular round in retrospect somehow does not qualify.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Considering Jeff Ireland has been drafting since 2008, does anyone else consider it telling that the Dolphins have yet to have a single draft pick in the Ireland era sign a contract extension beyond his rookie deal?

I mean we assume Jake Long will be coming, but then, maybe not...when you consider how much money he's likely to be asking. We assume Sean Smith as well, and perhaps Brian Hartline, but then...who knows?

dolfan32323 and MonstBlitz like this.
  29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    He hired a second head coach. That's a bigger do-over than GMs who are not very firmly entrenched do very often.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh irony, how I love thee. Accusing me of mis-informing the masses, and then using as your example a guy that was drafted by Randy Mueller. Delicious.

PhinGeneral, Clipse, Desides and 2 others like this.
  31. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What's funny to me is, while the Patriots are extending their 4th Round pick from 2010, we're trading our 1st Round pick from 2009. Yet somehow the Pats don't draft well, according to some here.

Eop05 and MonstBlitz like this.
  32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Wasn't it hilarious when we extended that UDFA from 2009?

[​IMG]

33. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    UDFA? He was in the CFL. Nice try though.

Not to mention, that was Parcells. Because Ireland didn't have control until he left, remember?

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Which makes him a UDFA when he came back to the league.

Bottom line is he's not as horrible a talent evaluator as you'd like to believe he is.

35. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yes, he is.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You're right Tannehill looks awful.

37. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    LOL at one pick in 5 years who hasn't played a game yet. I agree Tannehill looks promising, but c'mon. If that's your basis for saying Ireland is a good talent evaluator, you've proved my point.

38. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    In what world is an already established, 24 year old, #1 receiver from a strong passing offensive team, who just won a superbowl not worth a first round pick? Not to mention he's been highly successful and productive

Like someone said earlier, If Jeff Ireland called Jerry Reese and offered him 1 first round pick for Hakeem Nicks, he'd fall off his chair in laughter.

Amazing that to you, in hindsight, Hakeem Nicks is not a worthy 1st round pick but these guys are:
    Vontae Davis
    Jared Odrick
    Mike Pouncey

39. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So the blame - if you believe blame exists - should be on the shoulders of Ross and only Ross?

How many owners let a GM, they dont think is doing the job in the past, to be retained to fix past errors??

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    ckparrothead likes this.