How many other NFL GMs have had the opportunity to rebuild their own mess?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    It's good to see he don't hold on to every player just because he drafted them. To some Belicheat would be a genius right now because he has 7 picks in the first 70 next year.

I'm on the fence so to speak but you have to look at the full picture.

2. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    No single stat is the be-all and end-all. But this isn't being used to say that Ireland is better than another GM who had a 190 CarAV over the same time span or even that he is better than any specific GM that had a 170 or even a 150. But it does suggest that when one looks at it objectively, Ireland has been nowhere close to the disaster many on here make him out to be. He's actually done pretty well. Player development is not the GM's job. And retention is not a very good measure because one fo the biggest factors in retention is what will the market pay for a player, as well as other needs. Kendall Langford was a very solid player. The fact that he wasn't resigned had nothing to do with any faults of him as a player, it was because we had enough depth there and other teams valued him more. That doesn't make him a bad pick at all.

It is not a "statistically significant comparison" now because it is only partial and is non-random. But I have never seen anyone else even attempt to do an objective analysis of GM performance. I invite you, and others, to do so. And when I get around to doing it for the whole league, it will provide pretty credible results.

3. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I'll do that when I get the whole league done and include the draft "currency" piece. I may even add UDFAs.

Stringer Bell, Disgustipate and Fin D like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I appreciate the work you put in here and I think it's a good start. I'm just pointing out some of the flaws. It's the statistician in me. If I have some free time one of these evenings maybe I'll crunch the numbers for retained players. You may disagree, but I think retaining quality players is a very important part of a GMs job.

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Excuse be if you took my statement as a threat. It wasn't intended that way. It was intended as a statement of fact.

6. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I'd agree about retention if the reason the player wasn't retained was the GM's failure to do so. But I don't think we've really had anyone that we wanted to retain but couldn't because the GM botched the negotiations. As discussed previously, the Fins made no real effort to retain Langford because they knew he'd get more on the open market than the team would be willing to pay in light of its scheme change (to more 4-3) and depth on the DL. Langford was a good draft pick and played well here, but he would not have been worth 4 yrs. and $24 million here. Retaining him at that price would have been an example of bad GMing, not good. We just parted with Vontae, but arguably got good value for him. Yes, many argue that we didn't and I think it is a close call, but it is not like we let him go for nothing. Have there been anyone that Ireland let go that the Dolphins should have kept? Maybe Wes Welker (who wasn't drafted by Ireland), but that was almost universally viewed as a good move here at the time.

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Outside of Davis and Marshall, there hasn't been a lot of revolving talent here.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Off Topic:

I won't start a whole different thread for this but I'm curious:

How many games do you all think the Dolphins need to win this year for Ireland to keep his job? Let me know what you think. Or if you think wins / losses should have nothing to do with it.

My opinion: 6 games or more. I think if this Dolphins team wins 6 games or more, Tannehill will have had a pretty solid rookie season and Ireland maybe gets another chance, especially if some of his more recent draft picks were a factor. Looking at this roster and this schedule 6 wins looks tough. This assumes Tannehill starts the majority of the year. 6 wins with Garrard or Moore playing most the season does nothing for me if we don't get to see what Tannehill does.

What say the rest of you?

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I think Ireland's pretty safe unless this team goes Cam Cameron, in which case Ross probably blows it up completely. The issue, right now, isn't Ireland anyway. It's whether or not Philbin can stay in command of locker room that's bound to be seriously upset by the way this offseason has played out.

10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ross couldnt blow up a raft in a swimming pool at this point.