1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Merling and JT are Tied Together ...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdang307, Aug 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    and how we may never even have had Merling. What is this nonsense that I speak of?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-2-32/How-the-Jason-Taylor-trade-came-to-pass.html

Redskins had pick #21 but traded it to ATL at the last second. So they were considering a Merling there. Nice value for us if true. and if they had taken Merling, maybe they don't trade for JT?

Seeing as how other teams had wanted JT, we know he would have been moved, but a very interesting tidbit I found to keep us entertained in between practices.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I remember them being interested in Merling. If they had taken Merling, I agree that they might not have traded for Taylor. However, Taylor could have still ended up in that division with the Giants or Eagles.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hillarious. Parcells is such a no-nonsense get to the effin point type of guy.

texasPHINSfan, Kanye West and alen1 like this.
  4. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I rember bing shocked the Phillip Merling fell to us I think he was a great pick up.

5. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    The draft magazine I have at home had him projected as going to the redskins I think at that spot. I'll check it when I get home...

All's well that ends well, but if this is true it does make the deal sound much sweeter...

6. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    He was definitely good value at 32.

In any case, I am glad they didn't pick him, because we got a great pick at 32 and now an extra #2 in next years draft.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    It is "funny" how things work out. The Skins were EXTREMELY interested in Merling. His workout just prior to the draft, they basically sent the whole organization. Apparently didn't like what they saw, as he wasn't able to do everything due to his injury. It was his first and only workout of the predraft process. I wonder if the Skins would have drafted him with their first second round pick. Their loss will hopefully be our gain.

8. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    The local sports radio show that was on during the draft made the assumption that the Skins would be going after Merling. They seemed surprised they went in a different direction