1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Miami Dolphins' Chad Henne fits Bill Parcells' commandments

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Sep 1, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...had-henne-0902-20100901,0,6129185,full.column

Read this blog and tell me what you think. Do you think Henne is following the commandments set for quarterbacks by Parcells?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well 8 of 10:

Henne needs work on those two areas, I've seen both seriously botched in the crucial last 3 minutes of both halfs.

gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Well it was his rookie season Padre :lol:

He's orchestrated some beauty drives in late minutes in other games. This season should be more telling with his clock management skills.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think he did well but as always, there is need for improvement.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Well, I also saw games against the Jets, Pats, Bucs and Titans where he did pretty damn good in the final minutes.

PhinsRock and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Pbateman

Pbateman New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    The thing I see in Henne that I don't really want to admit is a bit of Drew Bledsoe...A guy that Parcells drafted in the first round. Bledsoe wasn't awful, however he was never really a champion, the year he got hurt was the year Brady won his first superbowl. Something to keep in mind, and I'm drunk so I'm not sure this point has been made properly....

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Recall in the Tampa game, Henne threw a dummy int with less than 3 minutes to go..the Bucs scored a TD..then Henne had to drive down the field for a game winning FG as time expired?

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    2nd season. But who's counting :lol:

9. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That's correct. When you make a big mistake and immediately put it behind you and win the game, it's a great sign of a cool QB.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then there was the unfortunate Int against the Titans in overtime..

I'm not down on Chad Henne, I am realistic, he has some great tools to work with but the house isn't finished just yet, if he has a 3 Int game we sorta have to take our lumps over it as Henne is the Qb of the now and the future.

gafinfan likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    3rd season..

gafinfan likes this.
  12. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Wasn't that pass tipped by a D lineman? Dunno if that's all on him or a little bit of lucky defense too.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No, Henne has a habit of just throwing the ball up when he is about to take a key sack in a situation, some Titan was drapped around him and he threw it up in the general direction of Greg Camarillo..in OverTime..on our side of the 50..

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    yep then the GC penalty didn't help at all....

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, I still think Henne reminds me more of Jim Kelly than Drew Bledsoe, but Bledsoe sometimes had the same problem when pressured he just threw the ball up for grabs.

Difference is Bledsoe was as athletic as a turnip, I've seen man hole covers with more movement..Henne does have nice movement, maybe average pocket feel.

Killerphins likes this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Henne in the pocket bugs me too
    I'll wipe my forehead on that one and be happy I'm not the only one

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm not saying he will be the next HOF Qb but Manning threw about 10 of those same type of dummy Int's in his first season.

18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Really padre, wheres the fire?

I agree with everything you said until this, the one thing I want to see from Henne this year is some leadership fire. He is in his third year of watching Penny along the sidelines interacting and kajoling the offense, being the leader, and thats what I want to see from Chad and then I'll feel he has arrived. A real leader can't be a Robot, theres got to be some screaming and cursing also, alittle bit of the Sparano on the field!

I don't remember where or who wrote it but one of the media guys pointed this out perfectly when he remarked that at a practice the TE came over to Penny (not Henne) to talk about a certain play and how it was done. The very minute they forget Penny's there I'll know for sure this is Henne's team and not one second before.

# 7, 8, and vocal leadership and then, just maybe, we've got ourselves a jam up, hell raising, Super Bowl winning QB!

19. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Ronnie, Brandon, and Jake Grove have all commented how much Henne is in control and in charge of the huddle.
    Maybe that backup TE went over to Pennington because Pennington was throwing or practicing in any other way? He's been called "Coach Penny" for a reason this TC.

20. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the truth is none of us know what we're going to see from henne this year. clearly once coaches got enough tape on the guy last year they were able to confuse him and force him into errant throws. he should be better prepared this year but so will the deffensive coordiinators he faces. if i had to bet i would exxpect a much improved henne. one calmer and better at reading defenses and blitzes.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "Fire" in a Qb is overrated GA, I'd say competitiveness is a more important quality than being a rah-rah type.

gafinfan likes this.
  22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I still think our season is hinged on Henne and his ability to take the next step up the ladder towards being a franchise QB. I don't expect him to be that completely be that guy, but I do expect to see marked improvement this coming year. That competitive fire during games, both on the field and on the sideline is something that has been missing from him. That could be youngster jitters. It was anticipated he'd be 'the man' in his rookie season, but Penny's arrival derailed that. Then having Penny here during his sophomore year helped tremendously. It's was anticipated early on that this was his year..Now it's here, the offense is structured around his talents and the talent along the rest of the offense skill players...It's time and he seems well prepared.

But along with all that, comes the leadership part. The part where the TE comes to him instead of Penny. Now as has been explained, it was a backup TE who was probably getting more balls thrown to him by Penny than Henne at that time, but that has to be considered a sign that not quite everybody on the team is tuned into Henne as the man. That's a bit of a concern. Will we have that as long as Penny is here ?? After all, if I'm a young receiver, even if Henne is the starter, I think I'm picking the brain of Penny first...just for the common sense fact that Penny's been doing this for 11 yrs ??

gafinfan and Sceeto like this.
  23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Henne seems to fit the Parcells mold, he still needs some honing and more experience, but we've armed him with Brandon Marshall this season and that should go a long way towards helping him take the next step. JMVHO.

24. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Call it what you will, whatever it is called "Robot" it is not!:wink2::lol:

BTW I hate that term for my QB!

25. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    No, that was not in OT. The pass in OT was tipped at the line. You're thinking about the awful throw he made at the end of the first half.

I'm not saying Henne is a HOFer pads. I know there needs to be improvement.

26. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I just want Henne to be Matt Hasselbeck. Not a superstar, not a fantasy football stud - just a guy that can make all the plays and win games.

27. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think the thing that I'm starting to realize is that Henne probably fell into the best situation possible by landing in Miami. For one thing, and as the OP points out...he fits the Parcells mold to a "T" as far as his make up, his physical abilities and his personal qualities. For another thing, he's not being asked to carry the team. Just manage the offense. Rely on one of the best RB tandems in the league, make good throws, and smart decisions.

IMHO, there were two rather obvious things I saw out of Henne last season. 1) He got better as the season played out. Granted, he regressed a bit towards the end of the season, but so the team as a whole IIRC. 2) He made mistakes, but would then come back and do something good, even great sometimes. It's that development and short memory, along with his poise and strong arm that have me excited about our QB for the first time since #13 graced the gridiron.

Bottom line, the way I see it we will all know by the end of this season if we have our franchise QB or not. It's Henne's time to shine.

Go Phins! :marble: