1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should we build around Tua?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tirty8, Mar 13, 2021.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I have begun really exploring free agency and the draft, and but this year, I kinda done it under a different lens. I am not just looking at it in terms of the player's skillset. I am looking at his skillset in terms of how it would fit with Tua.

This is where I have come to a mental crossroad in my mind. Should we try and cover Tua's warts or should we roll under the assumption that Tua is going to get better?

In a nutshell, I think I know what Tua's problem is. I listen to Sirius XM NFL Network on my daily commute. I love it when former Bears' QB Jim Miller gets on. A reoccurring trend with Miller when talking about young QBs is what "open" means in the NFL. He talks about his time transitioning to the NFL where he would tell coaches that everyone was covered, and his coaches responded that in the NFL those guys are "open." Essentially the windows get smaller in the NFL. I think that this is happening with Tua. In Alabama, his cast of WRs were "open-open." Those guys had elite speed and separation. That being said, you simply are not going to see that kind of speed and separation in the NFL. I am 100% convinced that this issue is manifesting itself with him. Look at how at times he holds the ball too much and takes unnecessary sacks. I think that he is looking for separation that just isn't going to get there.

A case study - I want you to think about the way the offense change from Fitz to Tua. Fitz has a gunslinger's mentality, and who thrived because it? Parker. Parker has never been a master at getting separation, but pure athleticism has allowed for him to gain position, out-leap, and come down with contested balls. Fitz would throw it up, and let Parker do his thing. What was Tua's praise when things were going well for him? He was safe with the ball. He is not gonna turn it over like Fitz. I agree with those things, and you know what? Parker's production dipped when Tua came in. I am actually hoping some good came out of our butt-kicking versus the Bills on the last game of the season. Tua got desperate. He realized we were in trouble, and he started throwing the ball to Parker hoping to make something happen. It worked. Parker had 14 targets, 7 catches, and 116 yards. Will this serve to be the anomaly and will Tua revert back to his old ways? Time will tell. Okay, so who got better when Tua got in? Mike Gesicki. Why do you think that is? Gesicki has WR speed and a TE frame. Put an undersized CB on him, and just throw it up. Stick a LB on him, and he is gonna beat you with that speed. And this is where I go back to Jim Miller's assessment about transitioning to the NFL. I am positive that it is easier for Tua to see Gesicki as "open." Parker is lining up against starting CBS that might very well be as fast as him, but Gesicki is a problem for defensive coordinators to scheme against.

So, what is the takeaway? We need to decide if Tua will be the QB to throw to guys like Parker in the future. Will Buffalo be a learning game for him?

If we think he can evolve as a passer, pursuing a guy like Kenny Galladay makes sense. Galladay plays like Parker. He doesn't get separation, but he uses his body to make contested catches quite well. But if we think that Tua sorta is what he is, going after him may be a huge mistake. If he does not see him as open and doesn't throw him the ball, we are going to be paying top dollar for a weapon Tua is afraid to use.

So, I started thinking about the draft from the perspective of build around his weaknesses. I think Kyle Pitts and Devonta Smith are guys that will absolute look "open" to Tua. Smith is undersized, and I worry about him getting jammed at the line, but that comes with a positive as well. Smith has rare acceleration. He is almost immediately at top speed, and he is amazingly agile. I would love to stick him in the slot. I think he could be a much, much better version of Edelman or Wes Welker.

Kyle Pitts is a guy that I promise you will appear open too. I just got done watching his film, and from my couch, I could see him covered, and I just knew he was going to be wide open in a fraction of a second. I know that some of you are thinking that I am essentially speaking out of both sides of my mouth for advocating for Gesicki then essentially advocating for his replacement. There is some truth to that. I also see Pitts as more than a TE. I think that the coaches should be able to easily find a way to get them both on the field at once. It will take some creativity and outside of the box thinking, but I also think that Pitts helps Tua right now, today.

Thoughts on how to proceed?

2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I think it's pretty obvious they need to load up on skill position players. Every forecast has them doing exactly that.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that Tua's ceiling is probably as a smart, accurate game manager type. His size and skills just aren't elite and they're never going to be. So I think that the Fins best move is to mold a team around him similar to what the Cowboys have done for Dak Prescott, who I think is a similar player in a lot of ways.

Focus on the offensive line, make sure that he's protected well, establish the best running game that we can, and try to give Tua as many easy targets as we can. My perfect offseason would include signing Juju Smith-Schuster as the slot receiver, drafting Kyle Pitts as our future number one target, and drafting Javonte Williams as our main ball carrier.

4. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    We need our young OL to make some major strides. Would love for us to draft Creed Humphrey to shore up the C position. I’d like to see us draft Chase at 3 if we can’t trade back, sign Golladay and draft Williams, Carter or Gainwell in the 2nd/3rd.

My ideal mock draft would be:
    3. JaMarr Chase
    18. Zaven Collins
    36. Toney/Bateman/Moore
    50. Creed Humphrey
    81. Williams

5. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    For me.
    1) Continual improvement on the OL. We were better last year than we have been for 5 or 6 years, but we weren’t good, a little below average at best.I don’t think it is possible to have continued success in the NFL without an OL that is not at least average to good as a minimum. However we shouldn’t over-invest in the OL as creating an elite OL creates holes elsewhere. I’d be happy with a solid B+ line.
    2) Acquiring a good to very good RB. The main purpose of the run game in the NFL is to force defenders to move out of coverage and come up to the LOS. Again we don’t need Derek Henry for this, but respect for the run game (which includes coaches willing to call runs not go pass wacky) will give Tua that extra heartbeat that gets players NFL open.
    3) Under no circumstances over invest in the OL or RB. We want to get to good or maybe just good enough, but the resources required to upgrade from good to elite only gives a small additional benefit for the resources invested. If we snag a HoFer or 2 in the 3rd or 4th rounds and we get to elite that way then fantastic. Just don't go investing multiple 1st rounders and massive FA contracts to get to elite.
    4) Succession planning. Do what Pitt and NE do. Identify when your stars are going to keavev2 or 3 seasons in advance then draft and train their replacements ahead of time. You rarely see these teams relying on rookies to deliver critical performances. Give Tua a chance by not having 3 or 4 rookies as starters.
    5) Find a Jerry Rice. I don’t mean find the GOAT receiver, but Jerry Rice and Joe Montana complemented each other so well because Rice was smooth fluid and was able to consistently get open through skill not overwhelming the DB with athleticism. I see Tua as. Joe Montana type QB, one who will hurt you with accuracy and smarts, not a Brett Favre type who beats you with a rocket arm and a gunslinger’s mentality.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think in terms of the original question, it's kind of both. You DO expect and need more from Tua, but our skill players and OL also were not up to the challenge. We just flat out need more talent.

I do think you look at the offense that Tua was successful with at Alabama and which maximizes his strengths and get players that fit. A strong running game, quick passing, sure handed receivers who have speed and quickness.

He's not Aaron Rogers or Pat Mahomes launching it play after play and that's ok. But the game can and should slow down, he will get comfortable throwing into smaller windows and better estimate the speed of the defense and the looks he is given.

Just find talented players.

7. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Here's one suggestion: