1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be a Pick Up Artist

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by keithjackson, Sep 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey I'm wondering if anyone has read the book The Game by Neil Strauss? A coworker has been telling me about this book for the past few weeks abnd it just sounds eye-opening and hilarious, so i bought it yesterday and sped through a hundred pages, and it is awesome.

if you don't know... its a true story about the author's infiltration of a secret society of pick up artists - guys who were fed up wth being nerdy dorks and never meeting girls so they cracked the social codes and can now pick up any girls they choose. the author is a 5'6 femme looking bald guy and he picks up the playmate of the year in LA. and throughout the book are the tips used to pick up women. good stuff.

i think im on a mission to master the art of the pick up artist and im wondering if anyone has read this book, or has good advice, or wants some tips from what im about to learn.

I havent read too much but what i have gleaned has already worked very well, little tricks here and there, such as:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD-6d-VR7eE]YouTube - Neil Strauss (Style) - Five Questions Game[/ame]

ive been able to trick every single person ive tried this on, and its gotten me two free drinks this weekend.

anyways, im gonna keep working on this and ill keep you guys updated...

2. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    the funniest thing to do when going out is to 'neg', which is a backhanded compliment or unintentional insult such as:

* your shoes look comfortable
    * i like that skirt, i just saw someone over there wearing it
    * you have lipstick on your teeth

and one that still cracks me up:

* you blink a lot

that one im going to try the next time i go out. The neg is supposed to be genuine and good hearted, but supposed to knock them down a peg and create interest in you, making them feel like they have to work for it.

last night i was talking to someone and they asked me what nationailty i was and so i made them guess. then when it was my turn i told them they looked kuwaiti (they didnt), which apparently was a neg, but i just thought was funny, they got all hot and bothered (and very interested). they ended up leaving in a huff, but about 6 minutes later they came back even more into me then before with a million questions.

i also kept telling people in groups they looked liked twins. which usually got a rise out of them. its esp funny when the two would then look at each other and saw 'ew'.

the other night i told a girl she could lose 20 pounds in two months without a problem, and that apparently also worked because she said 'really?' and started talking to me about how.

ive always thought that a guy should go to the bar and just be nice and personable and funny, and thats enough. show them the respect and class they deserve. id never be mean or insult anyone, but it turns out i was wrong. now this is just my first lesson, so im sure im about to learn that you cant just be mean the whole time, but until then im just going to enjoy this newfound freedom. i have never laughed so much at a bar in my life.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The secret society of pick up artists do exist. Mystery from "The Pick Up Artist" tv show is a part of it.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    wrap your tool.............

WharfRat likes this.
  5. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

Captain Condom says:

"Bag that Bugger!"

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Slick's How To Pick Up Girls:

Stop reading about them on the internet and go outside and talk to one.

That 5 questions was pretty funny.

SICK and opfinistic like this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    1) First mistake! = Nothing is ever enough - its about adaptablility to the situation.
    2) Never = Never works in every setting - its about flexibility to the situation.
    3) New Found Freedom = That is the self confidence you had been lacking - trust yourself to be yourself eventually - little by little you will find your "true" self and be comfortable with it.
    4) Laughter = the greatest natural medicine ever invented to allow everyone around you to be comfortable and let them be themselves too - its an empowering drug that needs to be controlled as it has a fine line with seriousness (also becareful who you make the butt of the joke as well).

Congrats...you are on your way!

8. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Of course they come out with all this stuff after I get married...:pity:

jk hunny :shifty:

vmarcilfan75 and opfinistic like this.
  9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I got strauss' book. Good stuff too.

10. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I've been out of the loop (married) so long I couldn't pick up a chick with a club and a burlap sack.

dolfan32323, WharfRat and Phinperor like this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Slick's How to Swim:

Go out into the middle of Pacific ocean on a helicopter and jump from 10 feet

Phinperor likes this.
  12. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    hahah got you on the 5th one...uh!!!

13. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    :sidelol:

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    rule number 56: no excuses play like a champion.....

slickj101 likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Don't hate if you need the internet to learn about women and others don't. :cry:

Their really not as scary as they look through your binoculars, I promise.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    just like swimming. Some people are naturals at it and some people need to read about it a little before they go out in the field.

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I can honestly say that the more you just talk to women the easier it is.

You can read all you want, but it won't help being intimidated or shy. The best way to get over that is to just start talking to them. Look at it as, "Whats the worst thing that could happen?"

18. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    Peacock Theory

The advice they give is to adorn or possess something no one else has, however corny or tacky, and they suggest sunglasses at night, or an ugly piece of, perhaps glow in the dark, jewerly, stupid hat or something else i'd never wear.

while i appreciate the motive here, i couldnt go through with wearing something that made me feel dumb. but ive been doing the peacock theory for years and i recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new the next time they go out.

i usually bring a book or notebook when i go out. i wrote my thesis on bars so i did a lot of ethnography in them, always with a notebook in tote. now i just find the energy of the room more inspiring than sitting at my desk. but i cant get through five minutes of writing in my pocket notebook without someone introducing themselves to me, usually with, "what are you writing?" or some incarnate of that. without fail, every single time. i think it makes me look like im not predatory and thus a safe conversation. and it does make them curious.

this is something ive always known and done, and it has always worked. but i have changed my approach now after reading some of this book. last week i would answer them honestly and tell them what i was writing or request privacy politely. this week, i lie and make up something ridiculous. i told most people i was writing down the lyrics to song thta was playing. last night i told someone that i was writing a shopping list and all they wanted to know was what was on it, so i made up some ridiculous stuff. then i grilled them about what would be on their shopping list. that conversation ended with getting a phone number.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    you can say that about swimming. YOu can read about swimming all you want, however it won't help you get over your fear of water. However being armed with a little knowledge can help.

Then again you are also assuming that the problem is being too shy and intimidated is the person's main problem. There are many guys out there who can go up to any girl and ask them out and still strike out much more than he would if he was armed with a little knowledge on how the game works.

You go out there and swim and you can doggie paddle, however if you want to be able to increase your swimming speed and be better at it, a little instruction does not hurt.

For a lot of people reading that stuff can bring the failure rate to 90% from 99.9999999%. Plus it builds confidence AND if they read it right it can help them get over the worst thing people can do for themselves in dating which is something they call oneitis. Basically believing the myth that there is only one person out there for you.

Phinperor likes this.
  20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If people really believed that then wouldn't they be rational enough to know their odds on going out and finding 1 of millions? Not trying to get into that debate either, just an observation.

I think the number 1 thing is confidence. Not over-confident, stupid, or real arrogant (not that being a lilttle bit of a dick doesn't work). Women have said that over and over again, a man needs to be confident in himself and his abilities above everything else.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It maybe an observation, however there are guys who believe that. Many, many many guys, especially after they believe they met that one. I find it hard to believe that you haven't met a guy who at one point of his life really thought that there was this one girl that he knew that was everything he wanted out of life and he had to have her to make his life complete.

I agree that the number one thing is confidence. If you do not have any confidence then the best way to get confidence is success. Having tools to help you be successful helps.

Yes it is possible to pick up women going out there on your own and trying. It is also possible to figure out how to learn a new language by going to the country and just living there for a few months.

Why reinvent the wheel when you do not have to?

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Slick/Dupree you two are bantering back and forth and missing the point of the thread....a fellow Phin Fan finally got a boner over how to pick up (EDIT) xcxhxixcxkxsx <insert> GUYS willy nilly like, and you have failed to congratulate Mr. Jackson accordingly.....

....come on, get on the ball!:pity:

:wink2::lol::up::hi5:

23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY

Haha :hi5:

Cheers to getting someone to clean out the pipes before you turn the big 4-0.

:up:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    IMO stay away from Real Social Dynamics. I don't think they are good

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    especially the Social Transgression Dynamic's :up:

26. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Damn, I tried this on Mrs. Vengeful Odin.

She just slapped me.

SICK likes this.
  27. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    Set a Time Limit

When you go up to most people at a bar or something, all they are thinking about is, 'Geese, when is this person going to leave?' Which is def true - thats what I am thinking when someone comes up to me. so give them a time limit, or pretend you are leaving shortly, so they arent afraid of this.

so... when you go up to someone preface whatever you are going to say with:
    "I'm meeting my friends in a few minutes, but i wanted to ask you ..."

or

"I'm headed to another bar, but real quick i wanted to..."

makes perfect sense, and it makes them more comfortable to listen knowing you arent going to linger indefinitely.

28. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    I have reading some of the comments, and i have enjoyed them and the banter and the concern, but i don't want to mislead anyone of my intentions:

1. i have no problem picking someone up. when i go out im usually more attractive than 90% of people there. I just stand somewhere and someone eventually comes up to me. if i have to, i make eye contact and thats usually enough.

2. im gay. it a different dynamic, but most this stuff still works. i go to straight bars with friends and this stuff works on girls too, and girls are fun to practice on. i find it interesting comparing and contrasting how well certain things work on diff genders.

3. i just got out of a two year relationship this past month.

4. im not looking for sex. ive had more sex and been with more people than probably everyone in this thread combined, i have no idea how many, somewhere between 150-200 (always safe thanks for the concern) and im bored of going out looking for booty. what attracts me to this book is that it makes it a game. you go out and try a strategy, make a plan, challenge yourself, illicit variety, and explore social dynamics. ive never had such a cogitating barhop.

5. i can be shy. i would like to be more assertive, especially when approaching the other 10% of the room.

okay enough about me. if anyone has any lines or anecdotes or strategem,
    please throw it out there.

29. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    Change Locations

If you can, get a girl to go outside, take a stroll, switch to a different bar, bar hop, or whatever you can do. if u can switch locations, it makes them feel like they've already gone on a couple dates with you at the end of the night.