1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How we can beat the Patriots this Sunday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 7, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alright, straight up "my" opinion, but this is how we can win the game tomorrow (partially so people whill chill)

-Play Sparano Ball.

What I mean by that is the last 2 games, we have not played like the SparanoPhins, we have lost the time of possession battle, and we have lost the turnover battle.

Reverse those two trends and we close the gap.

-The Oline has to play better, point blank since the second half of the Saints game, the Oline has been poor at best, with 8 sacks given up in those two games, they all were not on Chad Henne..

-Lou Polite has to whip Juniour Seau, "whip" as in "win at point of attack"
    Seau was destroying the Bucs fullback in London, just stuffing and shedding him.

-R&R have to play at a high level when they do we are in games with the elite teams in the NFL.

Simply, our playmakers have to make plays, Ginn, Ronnie, Ricky, JT, even Sean Smith is about due, a system or philosophy, no matter how good, requires the people who operate in it to win battles.

We can hold onto the ball and grind it out on the ground, but sooner or later the "stars' have to shine to beat a team like the patriots.

2. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The Patsies are giving up almost 110 rushing yds per game at 4.5 yds a clip so Sparano ball can work but our pass rush absolutely must come alive tomorrow or it will be a long day.

padre31 likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sort of Ozzy, to me the outcome of the game hinges on whether or not we show up and tackle, or not.

When we lost to the Saints and Colts our tackling was poor, games we win, our tackling is at least average.

Welker and Moss will catch some balls, the key is dropping them or letting them run free to the endzone.

4. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    First, luck and lots of it.
    The reason I say that isn't because of the serious gap in talent, but moreso because of the way this game sets up for us. The Patriots are coming off their bye, they're playing exceptionally well (whether it was against 0-fer teams or not it got them rolling), and they're not happy about the way we beat the piss out of them in NE last year.

So, besides luck which is the most intangible thing in a ball game and in which we have little to no control over--we've got to rush Tom Brady like nobody's business. I mean not 1st half vs. NO Saints, or 1st half vs. NYJ, but like NYG vs. NE in Super Bowl type stuff, or NYJ vs. NE earlier this year type stuff. It's going to take an effort of double digit hurries, multiple TOs, and 4-6 sacks to get this thing done. We just cannot match up against Welker and Moss and expect to compete. We saw last year when they played us in MIA. They ran the offense like the would with Brady and completely bamboozled us.

Last, time of possession...I'm talking Indy style, where we've got the ball for 45 minutes. And we've got to score TDs to culminate every drive...no FGs.

I think it will truly take a PERFECT perfomance with some luck for us to win this game.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They were mediocre until they played the Bucs and Titans, recall the Bills had them beat and the Jets beat them up.

I think we can and will match up as well as anyone does with Welker and Moss.

They go empty backfield and passrush won't make much difference if we cannot tackle well.

Nah, just avoid turnovers and win time of possession as well as convert 60% or higher on 3rd downs, we don't need perfection to win, we need mistake free football.

Interesting nugget about the Pats, 1 rushing TD all year, and 12 forced fumbles, eliminate our fumbles and rush for TD's and we will win.

The other interesting thing is they are in the bottom half of the AFC in sacks with 13..

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    you know they're gonna spread us out with 3-5 receiver sets, so a lot more corner blitzes. Maintain pressure for 4 quarters. Get wake in the mix. Don't celebrate after a sack, don't get down after a big play or penalty.
    on offense, you know they're going to load the box to make Henne beat them, so give them what they want. Time to put Henne in the Gun and run spread just like NE did to us last year.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They go 5 wide, put a spy on Brady and rush three.

As for loading up the box, no difference, it has been happening all season, the key is to convert third downs and eat that clock.

8. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think we can do it

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83558

We must start with with great moxy and finish with great moxy. The offensive line needs to put last weeks game behind them, and protect Henne. We must excute the wildcat, and run the ball successful. We must put points up at the end of our drives. Henne when he has to throw, needs to get enough protection.

The defense with Ferg out in the middle will have to step it up, move around, and keep the pats guessing. We must play team ball, and run to the ball, and through the ball carriers as well. Defense will need to communicate in a highly effective way to make sure we don't blow any coverages. If Welker wants to catch the stuff underneath, and in the middle, we need to put several hats on him, so he knows it won't be an easy day. I hope Dan Henning calls an unpredictable game on offense, because this is not the team to get stale on.

We can win this game, we just have to want it, and play with fire for 60 minutes. Let's Go Dolphins!:up:

dolphindebby, late again and padre31 like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Your "Paul Soliai" theory will be tested tomorrow :ffic:

What the patriots do well on defense is stripping balls, and not allowing rushing TD's, to me that is Sparanoball territory, we can covert their supposed strength into a weakness tomorrow.

5 wide does not concern me as much as it may have in 2007, our Corner's are much better this season.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  10. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    We need to disguise our blitzes with Jones, and Wilson, and get to Brady. I am excited for this game.:yes:

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Look none of the experts picked us to win last week against the Jets. Keep the faith!:wink2:

dolphindebby and late again like this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I am as well, to me it is an excellent yardstick to see where we are, and what personnel changes may or may not need to be made.

Unlike the past 6 years, I don't see the huge talent gap we used to have with the Pats, as long as our youngin's avoid turnovers DBess has been murdering us the last 2 games.

We avoid turning the ball over and just make tackles, we can win this game.

13. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Maybe it is time to give Bess a break, and start Camarillo with Hartline.:wink2:

padre31 likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bess is basically a running back who plays Wr in our offense, a sort of security blanket for Henne, he "could" be benched, but won't be benched.

Don't know what is wrong with him, maybe trying to do to much?

His two TO's the last two weeks have led to scores.

Guy who is getting better at the right time is Gibril Wilson.

15. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Golic, Eric Allen & Theisman did from what I remember.

I really don't put much stock into the experts anywho.

I just know that of the past 4 games we've played the Patriots we've lost 3 of those games by very large margins. The game we won was a game in which the Patriots really used a conservative offense in Matt Cassel's second start. The last meeting, they had the same offense as with Brady and just torched us.

I'll be interested to see how Sean Smith matches up with Moss, because he's just absolutely killed us in their wins.

If they spread us out, I just feel like it will be much like past meetings since the Pats have gone all spread offense and that's a big loss.

16. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks Bro. I don't read or watch ESPN anymore.:wink2:

jason8er likes this.
  17. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Whether they played poorly to start the season or not, doesn't go against my point. There last two games they've fired on all cylinders...against the two worst teams in the league, yes, but still I think it woke the sleeping giant.

I will say this, I'll be interested to see Sean Smith on Randy Moss. He could really be the key, because he's absolutely toasted us in their last 3 wins. We don't match up well against Welker. Again, a lot depends on the play of Nate Jones, and he has been playing well so let's see.

I expect them to spread us out, thus limiting the pass rush. That's exactly how they've torched us in 3/4. Tackling or no tackling they thrown it up and down the field on us and we've had no stop for it.

I don't think rushing for TDs leads to a win, it's a statement to their redzone rush defense. Whether we score on the ground or in the air, we need to score TDs.

I think we lost by 20 at home last year and we had one TO? I could be wrong. I think it was a Pennington INT. Anywho, I say that because even no TOs may not be enough. We need to force multiple TOs.

18. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Good point, John. I just mentioned that Smith and Jones will certainly be key as they will probably match up on Moss and Welker. The blitz packages will be key, but also if they go to that shotgun and quick pass offense, I wonder if the blitzes will even get there in time.

I'm excited for the game too, because it's really our season IMO.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One name...Jason Allen...Moss absolutely smoked him, and has since 2007.

but also keep in mind, the patriots have ran into two really bad teams and looked great playing them, one a southern team they played in the snow with rookie Cb's who had little playing experience.

I "do" think we are legit 11 point dogs, also think we cover, and could win this game, don't forget we copied what the Jets did to the Saints for the first half, then we got away from doing that in the second half and approached them with a more cautious approach.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is what kills me, the hyperbole, "scary very scary".

Whenever Jason Allen was matched up on Moss, Brady went deep and hit Moss.

We also are a better team now.

And therein lays the problem, we scored three TD's in less than 30 seconds in total against the jets, that ate no amount of the clock, that exposes the defense even more.

I recall Moss just owning J Allen for Two long TD's, and in the 07 MNF game.

The problem is, we are not the 07 or even 08 team now, we are a better squad.

21. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Yeah the tackling will need to be on point but the key to beating the Patsies is putting Brady on his butt, and keeping constant pressure on him. He is prone to making mistakes when pressured HARD.

Miami showed the NFL how to beat them, and the Giants took advantage of it. Hopefully the Dolphins can do it again.

22. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro I think the blitzes will get there in time and or cause problems for Tom as our corners will play well. We need to physical at the line of scrimmage and knock them off there timing. If we take the game to them we can win, but if we have the game brought to us, it could be a long day.:wink2:

23. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Didnt those same experts pick the Jets last week also?

24. We had a great game against Brady three seasons ago -- Brady was intercepted like four times, and JT sacked him and ran the ball in for a TD. The team we have now is much better than that team three years ago; as long as we can shut down Ms. Brady, I see no reason why we can't win this game.

25. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    And what is that? Go for the 2-point conversions when completely unnecessary? Call timeouts to give the other team time to rethink their strategy? Or my favorite, blitz/pressure the qb and run it........and then in the 2nd half do the complete opposite.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    -No turnovers

-No penalties

-Run the ball

-Win the time of posession for the game.

Clear enough?

27. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Score more points, imo