1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will the BCS standings shape up?

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BuckeyeKing, Nov 2, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm pulling for OSU :up:

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Floridas Defense was horrible last year, thats why they lost to Michigan

The entire SEC has speed. Just goes to show you how much parity is in that conference. When one of the bottom feeders in the Big 10 beats OSU or PSU, come talk to me.

Of course I am half joking, yes you and I have discussed the speed in the trenches. We're not talking about straight line track speed (although UF has 3 of the fastest guys in the nation in Harvin, Rainey and Demps)

Speed is the ultimate neutralizer in college football.

My favorite example is Miami vs. Nebraska in 2001. The Huskers came in with Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch at QB running the option against arguably the fastest Defense in the history of College Football... you saw the results.

This ultimately comes down to the Big 10 vs. SEC. We have bragging rights right now. Until the Big 10 wins a NC against an SEC team (they'll have to this year) my opinion of that conference will not change. We'll see though :up:

3. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    kinda... similar. Hopefully a different result. :wink2:

4. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007

I know you're kidding, but I would say the advantage would go to Florida not because of their speed over Penn State. Instead it would be talent. IMO Florida is a way better talented team than PSU. Now I'm not saying talent is all that matters, because talent is only part of the equation that leads to victory. Just saying it's one advantage.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  5. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Come on Maj, speed in the skill players does have an impact. Granted you're biggest speed impact is in the trenchs, ala that 06 championship game, but look at the Kentucky game. Jeff Demps gets matched up over the middle against the linebackers. Once he gets that ball on the crossing route he's taking it to the house because the linebackers can't catch him.

And if anything the speed argument is pointless unless you're taking about speed in the treches, and speed in space. Because if you can't get those skill players in space, then their speed is useless.

6. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You see how that one little word caused an uproar amongst Big 10 fans? Makes you wonder huh :wink2:

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Florida is more talented than Ole Miss as well. You can't say it will be a blow out of epic proportions just based on talent.

8. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He didnt say that, I did :wink2:

Hey, maybe this year the trend is broken. But the gap in talent between UF and PSU is pretty large IMO.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Everyone thought that about Ohio State/Miami Ohio State/Florida...

Do you realize how much more talented that Hurricane team was compared to history, let alone the Buckeyes?? No one has seen a team that talented in a LONG time. But we combined passion with the gift of the U underestimating us into an upset victory.

The 06 Ohio State Buckeyes were more talented than Florida and they got their *** whooped.

10. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Miami game was the U taking it for granted. They cant even use McGahee getting his knee obliterated as an excuse because to my knowledge he wasnt doing that much in the game before his injury (not to mention UM had a couple other solid backs at that time)

Were the Buckeyes more talented?

The D Line for UF was superior, the QB's were not that far apart (Leak was a solid system QB), UF probably had better receivers, the UF secondary was just as good if not better and UF's O-Line was pretty solid.

Where would say OSU had a serious edge in talent? Im asking because on paper I dont see it.

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know you said it, when I said "you say," it was more a general comment.

It was argued USC had more talent then Texas when they won, UM more talented then OSu, majority thought OSU would crush florida, everyone definitely though Boise St would lose to Oklahoma. How about Michigan against Appalachian state?

I mean that is why the games aren't played on paper. Both teams are still a good distance away from playing each other so it might not even matter in the end.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  12. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree with you that less talented teams have beaten superior opponents, but I was questioning whether OSU was the more talented team to begin with.

As previously stated, OSU played one superior team leading up to UF (Michigan) and squeaked it out.

It was vindication at the time for SEC fanboys like myself, who had been saying the Big 10 was a weak conference by comparison.

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Texas isn't a superior team now?

News to me.

14. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Were they that year? That was Colt McCoy's Freshman year right?

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Red Shirt Freshman

"Texas' biggest loss was the decision by quarterback Vince Young, winner of the 2006 Rose Bowl Most Valuable Player award, to enter the 2006 NFL Draft, where he was the #3 over-all pick and first quarterback selected. The Horns' had three options to replace Young: redshirt freshman Colt McCoy, true freshman Jevan Snead, or true freshman Sherrod Harris. Prior to the season, Coach Brown announced that McCoy would be the starter with Snead also getting some game-time.

With the exception of Young, David Thomas, Jonathan Scott, and Will Allen, Texas returned most of their key offensive players from 2005–2006, including fifth-year senior running back Selvin Young, true sophomore running back Jamaal Charles, receivers Quan Cosby, Billy Pittman, and Limas Sweed and lineman Lyle Sendlein, Kasey Studdard, and Justin Blalock. The defense lost starters Rodrique Wright, Aaron Harris, Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff.

In most preseason rankings, Texas was listed in the top five. In the initial USA Today Coaches' Poll, which is part of the Bowl Championship Series formula for determining which two teams play for the National Championship, Texas was ranked number two.[13] The same poll had Ohio State number 1,[14] meaning that if both teams held their ranking until their 9 September 2006 match-up, it would be a rarely-seen early-season meeting of the two most highly ranked teams in the sport.[15] The teams did keep their respective ranking until game day and played the earliest ever meeting of the #1 and #2 ranked teams.[16]

See also 2006 NCAA Division I-A football rankings"

They still had large amount of talent. The year before when they played Texas against Young Ohio St started Troy Smith int he second half and would have won if the TE learned how to catch the damn ball.

16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You know what, I will of course be rooting for PSU, but I am now going to root for Florida now too.

17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    No longer have to worry about PSU :)

18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Let it be know I said to watch out for Iowa and that game was not going to be a gimme like these SEC team fans said. Again all that crying about the BCS standings was for nothing.

Great game.

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :whistle:

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  20. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I guess people are going to say how the Big Ten is weak because teams within the conference play tough games.

No doubt PSU wins the Big Ten still. I believe Ohio St could still cough it up against the fighting Zookers.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Michigan State has the same conference record right now, don't they?

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

On paper that OSU team was superior in aolt of areas...might not seem that way after the game but we are speaking hypothetically.

Qb's are not even close...nor are Wr's and you can say the same for Rb's, Florida's Off. and Def. lines were SO dominate there is no way we were nearly as talented. LB's I think we were superior, and Im willing to call the secondary a wash. Special teams also Ohio State.

All that being said when you lose the battle of the treanches, your biggest scoring threat, and your Qb gains 10 pounds of fat on your heisman campaign and your head is buried in your own arse..........you get blown out.

23. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Iowa has lost 4 games by a total of 12 points, if anyone thinks that Iowa is weak, they're in for a big surprise...

And their roster is extremely young and Shonn Greene should return next year... The only thing I'm worried about is losing both Mitch King and Matt Kroul (starting DTs)..

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    BAMA going to OT!

They need a new kicker.

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Julio Jones!

26. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Bama squeaked by

27. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Right now its a 3 way tie.

PSU
    OSU
    MSU

MSU plays in happy valley to close out.

28. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Tell that to the SEC fans of the world.

29. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If PSU wins out it won't matter.

If OSU and MSU win out, OSU gets it though.

MSU needs to win out and an OSU loss.

30. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Hmm, that's funny. Ole Miss has lost 4 games by a total of 19 points, against far stronger opponents(Wake Forest, Alabama, South Carolina, Vanderbilt-all within 1 score) but I don't recall any big 10 fans having ANYTHING positive to say about that team in similar regards.

31. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I know this but as of today. I put it in order.

Things will be heating up! I really would like someone else fromt he Big Ten to get that invite. I'm sick of Ohio St to be in the spotlight, the Oline sucks horribly.

Stitches likes this.
  32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    http://forums.thephins.com/371921-post44.html :up:

Phinz420 likes this.
  33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Yea, Im with ya...I just wanna go to the outback and get the SEC monkey off our back.

34. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Would love to meet Georgia that would be a good match up. As far as I know the Bulldogs run a pro style offense though their probably more creative on offense.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  35. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Never saw that comment, but thank you. I have been putting up with people ragging on Ole Miss ever since the UF game- as one could expect. I just don't think people are giving them enough credit.

36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Penn State is my fav team, but aside from them, I would watch almost any SEC conference game over Big Ten. Does not mean I like talking down about the Big Ten though, it is a different style of football typically.

Phinz420 likes this.
  37. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I understand wanting to defend your conference. It also must seem petty coming from a fan of a team in the SEC which has won the last 2 BCS titles, and very well could win a third in a row - but this has culminated over the past so many years with a lot of arguments with some vehement fans from OSU, Michigan, and more recently PSU.

I am just of the firm belief that the BCS does not really do that great of a job picking the 2 best teams out of a group. It seems like all of the seasons with no controversy at the end are due to teams "dropping the ball"(like PSU did today). I don't think PSU is any worse of a football team because they got edged out today against Iowa St, and I would be upset to see them fall very far. I think that is the misconception that I allow Big 10 fans to see out of my posts, is that I think they are "bad" just because I didn't think they had won me over to claim them as a "top 2".

I have said positive things about PSU despite my moaning. I think it is somewhat paradoxical that I held the feelings that PSU automatically wasn't a top 2 team, but they had thus far done everything you could expect out of them....win all of their games. I think OSU did something to affect that complaint this year by going up against the Trojans and I hope that other Big 10 schools will follow suit in the future. Even though the SEC does not generally schedule big OOC games themselves, I think it helps balance out the aspect that the SEC/Big 12 has a tougher schedule + the conference championship.

38. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Agreed.

Agreed except it was Iowa. :wink2:

I couldn't say definitively they were top 2.

LIAR! :lol:

j/k :hi5:

I wish Big Ten had one, hell I wish every conference did.

Phinz420 likes this.
  39. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    [​IMG]

40. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Cane fan right? Still hurting over that yellow piece of laundry?