Needing to win today but drafted projects

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Apr 28, 2024.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    resnor likes this.
  2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The article is blocked. Does the author make suggestions on who the Dolphins should have drafted in those slots that are going to be day one, immediate impact, full time starters? I'm guessing not and it's a whiny article just to whine.

OwesOwn614 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  3. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    It's David Hyde hall of fame flordia sports writer who has forgotten more about sports than u will ever know!

4. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    The article is behind a paywall and I can't see his genius insight. What were his suggestions on what to do with those picks?

5. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Get off ur cheap *** and subscribe to Sun-sentinel.
    Isn giving u word for word

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    If you’re going to post the link to an article to start a conversation, then it should be a link everyone can open and view.

If it’s an article that can’t be viewed by all, then writer responsibility dictates quotes via copy and paste.

At least that’s how articles were linked once upon a time…quote a portion of the article, post the li k to said article and provide commentary.

7. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Everyone on here always bashed Omar Kelly so I assumed most had subscriptions to Sun-Sentinal.
    I guess if u don't I wouldn't bother to reply.

8. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I suppose I assumed it was well known I’m an objective fact based conversationalist. I offer opinions based on facts and post said facts that my options are based on.

I criticize other’s opinions when the facts don’t validate their opinion…including posters here and sports writers including Omar Kelly. But simply criticizing Kelly (et al) doesn’t equate bashing him all of the time and doesn’t mean I’m not curious what he or others are saying.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    It used to be not behind a paywall and sadly Hyde has been mostly right when it comes to actual success concerning our Dolphins.

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  10. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    It's a good article. If you want to get past the pay wall just put your phone in airplane Mode within a second of loading the page.

The last paragraph pretty much summarizes Hyde's good point.

"
    I’m getting whiplash from the Dolphins blueprint. They tanked for tomorrow for two years starting in 2019, trading players for draft picks, sacrificing wins to build a roster. Then came the U-turn in 2021 of trading draft picks and spending money for veteran stars to win in a small window starting last year. Only they haven’t won.

Now comes a draft where they’re looking at tomorrow again.

No one expects too much any season from rookies. But getting starters out of the first two picks isn’t too much on a team that lost several starters, is it?

Instead, a team with little time drafted players who need time."

11. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I will say my favorite pick is karma mohamed!

12. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Thx for the tech tip, it worked. Solid article from Hyde I must say.

resnor likes this.
  13. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I like him a lot too, got a quick first step and good production also like the receivers we picked up. Like the RB but not how we got him.

resnor likes this.
  14. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Hyde is a great sports writer!

Hooligan, resnor and JJ_79 like this.
  15. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I just see our trenches being a huge problem just like the end of.last year.

resnor and JJ_79 like this.
  16. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Hate to say it, but look at the Chargers draft. Holy. They bleeping nailed it. You see how Ortiz and Harbaugh on the same page and have a clear plan of how they want to build the team. Meanwhile, isn't it nauseating to see McDaniel sitting next to Grier in those press conferences after the draft? It's brutal. It's like he's Grier's little step child. I like McDaniel. I just think he was put into a bad situation.

Hooligan and resnor like this.
  17. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Actually the way I see our draft, we replenished what we knew we were going to end up losing…

Robinson for Chubb
    Paul for Armstead
    Wright for Moestert

Any organization has to have the personnel for next man up. I know I e been critical of Grier and have frequently bashed him but it seems to me the mindset of this draft was to maintain the personnel we need when we lose those we have.

18. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    And what about Hunt,Wilkins,Williams.Three of our best interiors last year.
    Not going to beat any good teams in cold weather if ur trenches are soft.

dolphin25 likes this.
  19. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Nah. Not the case here. He always does deals in order to cover up his past blunders and there have been many.

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  20. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    What a horrible situation it must be. Poor little fella. I bet McDaniel wishes he never left Atlanta. He could have had Kirk Cousins on a mega deal and a useless 1st round QB to hold a clipboard for the next four years.

21. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Finasty first posted this.

If you think Grier is bad at drafting, you are objectively wrong.

danmarino and Tuanon4Life like this.
  22. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    this draft and free agency were 100% about maintain the same record as last year with the eye in the future. They know they can’t win the Super Bowl with this roster as it is. They don’t want to step back so they stop gapped the entire team

next year they will try to have a big draft with all their picks and win it all in 3 years.

my personally if we don’t win a playoff game this year Grier is gone and depending on the record McDaniels is on a hot seat

23. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Lol

danmarino likes this.
  24. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    There aren't two states of being for NFL teams. It's not rebuilding or win now. Grier's draft philosophy with McDaniel is apparent. They value ceilings over floors, this was true with Flores to a lesser extent. They believe in coaching and want elite traits to match scheme, but trust coaching to correct technique.

I wish he would trust coaching when it came to extending rookie contracts early and/or with higher $. There were no win now rookies available when the Dolphins drafted. Checkout the blurbs on the NFL.com profiles, which have been fairly accurate as to the general consensus on a player. The positions of need weren't expecting to start right away. Get the edge and tackle with the physical tools and proven ability to be better than every one else in the draft and trust coaching to make it happen.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    danmarino and Striking like this.
  25. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    And how.many playoff wins has this great drafter produced?
    Because let's face it ,that's all that matters.

Sceeto, resnor and hitman8 like this.
  26. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    You do know that the players play, and the coaches coach, right? Injuries happen, plays are called, and refs throw flags. You are mistaking results for process. Long term success is determined by process, and that's what I want. Not brief moments of success. I want the Shula years back. I believe in Grier's process. It built the teams Flores, and now McDaniel wanted, switching between the two in a season.

27. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This team is weak where it counts and if u don't see it u don't know football

dolphin25, resnor and Sceeto like this.
  28. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    :thumbup:

danmarino likes this.
  29. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    And there it is.Non educated reply.

resnor likes this.
  30. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I like Dave Hyde. But like a lot of the knowledgeable folks on this message board, he doesn't realize the audacity it takes to think that he knows what the coaches want in order to fill their rosters. He, like some of you, built his big board and while not having the resources to evaluate players from anything beyond Saturday afternoon game tape and word of mouth, assumes he knows more than the people making the decisions.

I'm not saying that the brain trust made good or great calls over the draft, just that they had way more information on which to base those choices. Dave Hyde didn't do interviews or conduct pro days. He didn't check medical reports. He didn't have investigators look into players' backgrounds off the field or in the locker room. It takes a special brand of hubris to say "they got that wrong" when every year, Hyde and many other writers also get it wrong.

Consider last year, when Detroit got panned for taking Jahmyr Gibbs (gasp - a running back!) in the top of the draft and then selected Jack Campbell at #18 when he was a projected late first rounder. They said you don't draft running backs in the first round and they could have traded back to still get Campbell. The idiots.

But both players played great for them in their run to the NFCCG. And it's silly to suggest that Detroit should have taken any deal to move back to still get their guy because the #19 team might want him just as bad. Get who you want when you can. If he's clear BPA on YOUR board, ignore the chatter and let the people with nothing to lose talk about what they would have done if they were in your seat on draft day. I guarantee, if you look at Dave Hyde's mock drafts for the past decade, you'll fine plenty of players who didn't play as well as he thought they would. And I'm not going to suggest that you look back at your own projections.

Phil Hutchings and Tuanon4Life like this.
  31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think you give to much leeway. This isn't 1967, we have access to almost all the same information those guys have access to, especially if you're willing to pay for it.

It's fine to argue that a GM is going to have misses. That isn't the problem.

The problem is he continues to act like he thinks the oline isn't a priority and we can just stock or with other teams castoffs or guys with checkered injury histories.

32. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm 48 and never understood the term, "Ok, boomer" more than today. Why would I put any thought or time into replying to your BS?

texanphinatic, danmarino and Striking like this.
  33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    :nutkick::oldtoker:

34. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    My Bs as u call it is correct!And I guess even at 48 sadly u have not learned much.

35. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
  36. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    He's mediocre. Only all pro he's ever drafted was Xavien Howard. He had tons of draft capital to work with after the tank, and he hasn’t managed a single all pro or ROY candidate. Most of his picks have been either busts or underwhelming given their draft status.

Just because a guy he drafted is starting doesn’t mean they actually were a great pick, especially considering all of the RoY and HoF candidates Grier has left on boards throughout his tenure.

dolphin25, Sceeto and JJ_79 like this.
  37. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    The Holland and Achane picks were really good but overall I think he didn’t do enough with all the resources he had. Next season will show if he deserves to stay or if we should part ways.

dolphin25 and hitman8 like this.
  38. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Rookie of the year awards sounds like a pretty dumb way to judge a draft ability

Phil Hutchings and Striking like this.
  39. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I think that this is a great example. Both of those guys played right away and contributed. Our picks are the opposite. Here is the thing. I am the first one to pound the table to take BPA regardless of position. I love the Patrick Paul pick. I think Armstead has a year left, and Paul needs to improve. We could be cheap for the next few seasons at a high priced position.

The problem is that our whole draft cannot be players like that. Some of these guys have fairly long runways before they are expected to start logging serious playing time. Looking at each player individually makes a lot of sense, but when you look at the draft as a whole, it is problematic.

I liked the Kamara pick. A lot of people on this board like Kamara. You may see him as a rotational guy early on in the season, but after that, he literally might not even be active for game day.

40. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    This was a solid draft and nobody should be surprised to see anyone selected make the team and/or contribute this season. Paul is the only player that I think will require significant development, but he also has the highest upside. Saturday picks typically are hit or miss (with a lot more miss), but we managed to get guys who have significantly higher value than their draft slots. I'd go as far as saying we got low hanging fruit with Kamara and Washington.

But then again, opinions are like a**holes and mine probably smells bad to some of you. But from a lot of the takes I've read, those same folks think roses stink. Just sayin'... :001_rolleyes:

Striking likes this.