1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurry-Up Offense the Answer?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HardKoreXXX, Sep 15, 2008.

1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    In his latest blog Armando suggests trying the hurry-up and 2 minute offense more often.

Dolphins In Depth

Personally, it seems every year we have this discussion. It sounds like a broken record when someone says "Hey, they moved the ball well at the end of the half and the end of the game. Why not do that all the time?"

However, I think maybe this team could benefit from a faster tempo. The grind out style the team appeared to want to establish has been non-existent.

What are your thoughts?

2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I think at 31-3 with such little time left the Arizona defense had softened up to give us as many 5-7 yard pass plays as we wanted to keep the clock moving without giving up the big gain.

I don't mind the hurry up if it can stop defensive substitutions but overall the offense is flawed if they have to rely on it as a whole.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree completely. Its out of desperation if used anymore than a few series' a game.

Either way, this offense (and D for that matter) needs to establish an identity.

4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    You can't establish a grind-out game when always playing from behind.....the Jets & Cardinals realized this, and I gaurantee that Belichek will no doubt try to do the same thing next week. Be expecting the early bomb and you will have killed the Dolphins whole strategy.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    In the Jets game we appeared to abandon the run. We were behind but not by much as it was only a 13-7 halftime deficit.

Thats what I meant by failing to establish a "grind-out" game. It appears that Sparano and his staff are very tentative about how they are going to run the offense.

Alot is talked about the run game, but your best offensive player in Ronnie Brown gets very few touches? Seems like mixed messages to me.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    The Hurry-up will do absolutely NOTHING for this defense.

With the exception of Will Allen, EVERY SINGLE one of our Defensive backs should be looking for work TODAY, with perhaps several of the Defensive coaches right along with them

Look, I understand that Fitz and Anquan are an incredible set of WR's, I watch them pretty much every weekend.

But, what I witnessed first hand yesterday in Phoenix as absolutely ABYSMAL. Kurt Warner ends up with a freaking 156 passer rating? Are you kidding me?

Right off the bat, letting Anquan Boldin run straight up the middle of the field, not-touched and uncovered? What do you think is gonna happen?

mi2cents and Coral Reefer like this.
  7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    hey Ken, glad to see you survived John's visit.

The hurry up would be a good change of pace to throw in once in a while, but would not work all the time.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The hurry up offense only works when the D is in the prevent mode...no team is in that mode all game long. Now, there are exceptions, and Indy and NE do it well, but only because they get mismatches of personnel and when in the hurry up, the opposing D is not allowed to sub players in...It also takes a seasoned offense with a solid QB to do this. If you're suggesting Henne do this, forget about it...If you're suggesting CP do this, well we jusg don't have the seasoned offense that you need to accomplish this...JMHO

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

Buffalo used to do it extremely well. I think Pennington is smart enough to run it once he gets more comfortable. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, what are they going to suck on offense more? Not likely.

10. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Anything to add a spark is my feeling. This team looks so lost on offense right now.

PMZQ likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i agree bro, there needs to be something that changes the rythym of this team, because they are starting to think they are the same team that went 1 and 15, same mistakes different players tells me that we are stuck in a bad football rythym.

I think the no huddle would help but i really think that Chad Henne could break it for good, why you ask, because the kid will keep pressing and pressing and pressing the ball downfield until that beautiful seame opens up and the football rythym changes

12. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I see what you mean, but when they are stacking 8 it makes it tough to establish the run, when you are 3 and out on 3 of your 1st series, and are already behind by 17.

13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The conditioning looks good so far. Albeit we've only witnessed a small sample (can't really count the second game)

I found it interesting that players said they've run the hurry-up so much in camp they feel almost MORE comfortable with it.

I expect to see some changes in the Offense this week against NE. Even if it's not the hurry-up.

14. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    My thought is the "knowledgeable" blogger should have taken the day off.

15. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

The hurry up is effective because we were behind by a bunch and the Cardinals were sleepwalking on defense. Same thing against the Jets. Both teams played a sort of prevent defense which always gives up yardage.

As you saw in the Jets game, when they needed to tighten up and get a stop, the hurry up provided no advantage.

Personally, I would make a point and freaking run the ball on the first 10 snaps or so from scrimmage. Let this team know that they WILL play better and WILL block better if they plan on having a future.

16. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im sorry, its hard to take you serious with that Steve Smith avy :lol:

Samphin likes this.
  17. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

You're just jealous because my temporary team is awesome

meanwhile our permanent team wastes away like a fart in the wind...

HardKoreXXX likes this.