1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyde 5 Draft Philosophies for Dolphins in Round 1-2

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, May 6, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-hyde5-dolphins-gm-hickeys-5-choices-for-top-draft-need-20140505,0,390480.story

A good run down on various scenarios for the Dolphins with their top two picks.

He seems to think if the Dolphins were to go WR and wait to go OT in round two that they would likely consider Marquis Lee. That would be disappointing. I suppose they think he'd be a good slot player, route runner and maybe a Reggie Wayne type potential. That would fantastic. But, I'm not yet sold on him. Would wish for the best but ...

DPlus47 and dolfan22 like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd be pretty disappointed with Lee and OT with 1st two picks. Give me Shazier in 1st, and OT in 2nd.

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Nice writeup, makes sense. Think he has the wrong WR though. I think we're going to trade up a bit for Beckham, or stay at 19 and take Cooks.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i would absolutely have no problem with marqise lee, he is a special player, but i´m still on the ryan shazier bandwagon for now

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that almost any WR would be a waste and unnecessary. OT is a must, and then a lot of options in round 2 (OG, MLB, TE, S, RB).

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The entire article was basically about the need to take an OT, I'm pretty sure that common sense will prevail on Thursday.

7. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    its not sexy if our 1st rounder will be OL , but I could live with it, giving the glaring need we have, but i still hope we fix this in the 2nd or 3rd round and go WR in the 1st...or ryan shazier

8. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I'd be OK taking a OT, if one of the top four slides but I wouldn't want to reach for a RT at 19 and certainly wouldn't want to take a guard there. I think we can get a quality starter at either RG or RT in the second meaning we would have addressed 4/5s of the line.

GMJohnson likes this.
  9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Did anyone else listen to the video? So Omar would be ok with Marcus Martin at 19, along with either Bitonio or Moses? I think we can pretty much be sure Miami won't draft a Center/Guard at 19 which is what Marcus Martin is, and not even the best one. My god Omar and Perkins butchered the names. Morgan Mosley? Then talking about FA linemen, mentioning Todd Wade when they meant, I am guessing, Wade Smith. :sad:

MAFishFan and GMJohnson like this.
  10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    What we need is for the QBs to go early and often so some better talent drops to us.

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't completely disagree with you, as I never want to see us reach for anyone, but haven't we been saying for years there are good options for OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, only to be disappointed by who we get?? I know it's a different regime, but lets address the OL and FIX it, not hope for someone later...

ATLFINFAN and Unlucky 13 like this.
  12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Seems like every time OmarK gets on social media or TV, he simply shows why many of us don't follow him...

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    On the other hand though, if the QB's fall we are in a prime position to trade back and acquire more picks.

Claymore95 likes this.
  14. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I like the trade up in the 2nd idea. Just move up enough to get one of the 2nd tier tackles, take Cooks or Shazier in the 1st.

15. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    He acts like trolling fans is the biggest part of his job. Most of what he says is just absurd.

Claymore95 likes this.
  16. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I still think 3 qbs go top 15

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I see two going top 15, then rest plummeting to beginning of 2nd round.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If we're taking a lineman in the first then I hope its an actual tackle rather than a guard.

There's no way anyone has an idea if Martin can play tackle. The draft has enough variables involved, you don't need to add another huge one by spending your first on a guy that you don't even have tape or stats on at the psotion you want him to play. Those kinds fo gambles are for later rounds. If Martin and Moses/James are on the board at 19 and I have to take a lineman, I'm going Moses/James.

Also, let's remember this tackle we get should be an eventual replacement for Albert too. Otherwise we have to keep spending high picks until we get that guy. BEFORE Albert leaves.

Phin5.0 likes this.
  19. MrClean

I like Joel Bitonio better than Moses, Su'a-Filo, and James. He is a solidly the #5 OL to me and I'd not be upset if he was the pick at 19. I think he can play tackle or guard in the NFL. I like his feet. Ya can't teach linemen to have quick feet. Also like his intensity and effort too. Seems like a high character person when I've heard him interviewed. I'd rather move back a few spots and take him, but it would not surprise me if KC took him at their pick in the first, or Carolina too. The #6 OL IMO is Wes Richburg. But he is a C/G only. I do like James too though and would be fine with him being picked at any point. Moses impresses me much less. Xavier is a decent guard, but I don't see him as a OT in the NFL at all.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  20. Chad Muska

Chad Muska Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Do you mean RT specifically? Because Martin started 50 of his 52 ND games at LT. I guess we know he can play tackle. Might be a better fit at guard though, I'm not sure.

Fin D likes this.
  21. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I like Bitonio too. I like Su'a-Filo a lot too and I'm not so sure he can't be a good tackle in the NFL, but most people seem to have him pegged as an interior guy, so you are not alone there. But what makes you say you don't see him as an OT in the NFL at all. Half an inch of height and arm length?

22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have to agree with you. My list in accordance with what I feel are the biggest needs for the Dolphins are, RT-OG- MLB- OLB- TE-CB- S- RB- DT- QB- DE- WR. I really don't see the WR as a need for the Dolphins in this draft. In fact I would rather they take another young QB in the middle rounds of the draft,just in case Tannehill doesn't pan out during his third year in the NFL.

Wallace, Hartline, and Gibson are going to be the top three WR's. So it doesn't make any sense to draft a WR in the early rounds, especially the 1st round, to come in and sit for a year before he even gets a chance to start. This is a do or die year for Philbin, Tannehill, the coaches, and many of the players on the Dolphins roster. The Dolphins need to draft a player who can come in and start from day one. I think they have a much better chance of getting that player in the first round if he plays on the offensive line or at one of the LB positions.

I am sure Philbin has told Hickey that he doesn't need any more drafts like last year. When all the top picks for the Dolphins were injured or just weren't ready to come in and contribute from day one.
    If this draft class is as ineffective as the 2013 draft class was last year, Philbin and many other individuals on the Dolphins team will not have to worry about who the Dolphins draft next year or how the WR they drafted in 2014 works out over the long term.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yup, my bad.

24. MrClean

Xavier did not play as well in 2013 when lined up at LT. He looked more natural at guard. My observation and opinion.
    If your best college position is guard, it is doubtful you will be equally good at both guard and tackle in the NFL.
    Some scouts are saying Martin and Bitonio could play either guard or tackle in the NFL. I've not seen any say that Xavier could.

25. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    That's a pretty bold declaration there! :)

I do think Xavier is a pretty safe/secure bet at OG. Maybe a better, "plug and play" option at RG than anyone else in the draft. But, still ... bold stuff!

I think Lewan will be a solid player and is a top 20 talent (maybe not at LT but I think he could be a really great RT). But will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the future.

26. Phin5.0

Phin5.0 New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I don't get the idea that we are set at WR and that drafting one would be a waste.

We have Wallace and then a bunch of nothing. And this is coming from somebody who frequently has defended Hartline. After all, even with Brandon Marshall on the team, it was Hartline who lead the team in big plays. So I like Hartline.

I just haven't seen anything out of Gibson to think he's anything more than what he was with the Rams, and I'm still dazed at how the Rams have been offensively inept for so long yet last year during FA we and the Patriots fell over each other trying to sign their WRs. When most Rams fans would agree that they were WR challenged.

This offense lacks weapons, and even if you can count Hartline as a solid #2 (which I do), I still think we should be running at least trips as our base offense and that means we need another WR. When you combine it with Wallace's contract in two years which he isn't worth if Tannehill is still our QB and doesn't improve on his deep accuracy, he's out the door and we're better suited for either getting a big receiver that can fight for contested balls or a smaller waterbug type of player that can take short and intermediate passes the distance, it makes perfect sense to look for WR.

I also think that all of the WRs will be gone by 50 when we select in the 2nd round. If we want a playmaker, we need to get that player with our first round pick. There will be quality OL available at 50. The vast majority of the coveted playmakers will be off the board by then. Not just WR's, but also the LBs and DBs as well.

We need to grab a playmaker first and a OG or OT in the 2nd (and possibly the 3rd, 4th, etc..). But let's nail down that playmaker in the first, be it WR or other position. The OL depth is great in this draft, the standouts? Not so much.

Teams drafting in the bottom half of the 1st round are going to lose the draft if they are grabbing OL, unless they're planning to trade up into the top half of the 2nd to make up for it.