Hyde5: Five lessons for Dolphins from playoffs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jan 12, 2015.

1. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    And now we have an official report saying that Peyton Manning was seriously hampered by an injury.

Jeez...it's almost like VD wasn't the story after all.

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

Again, the issue of if we were, or weren't trying to get rid of him is not the issue. Enough already.

Sure sounds like we gave up on him to me if we agreed to trade him? If you were concerned with, or recognized he had talent to be a top player at his position you'd go out of your way as a team/coaching staff etc. to attempt to get the player to the point you want him to be to play for your team. These guys just don't grow on trees you know. Especially after FA and the draft when you're in training camp.

I don't need to list speeches, drills, or whatever that Philbin could have done. That's not my job to figure out. That's the job of the head coach, nor do I see why that's relevant here. Maybe the Dolphins should call the Colts and ask them for tips, because they've sure found a way to maximize his potential. We see it often with bad apple type players going places, and getting the help they need in whatever way, shape ,or form that might come so that they can be the best player for the team. Moss in NE, Dez Bryant, to name a few.

So, I guess then, unless you can prove to me that Philbin did all he could as a head coach to help the player, then I can claim it's safe to say we gave up on him, just as you can say we didnt, even though we agreed to trade him which should tell you we did. I mean, there had to be some reason we agreed to trade him to Indy, surely it wasnt just because Indy called and we felt we should be nice to Indy. I'm not sure what leg you have to stand on either... Funny how that works.

djphinfan likes this.
  3. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I can't believe we traded away Vontae, what a colossal mistake by the entire organization that may haunt us for YEARS to come. Just sad really, no excuse. I thought it was a terrible decision at the time just like I thought we should have fired failbin last year. Unfortunately, so far, I've been right on both accounts.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How do you not see the first sentence contradicts the third one?

Again, you are operating under the presumption that Philbin definitely did nothing to improve Davis' outlook. You are also operating under the presumption that being traded was not the catalyst that woke up Davis. You're also operating under the presumption that something other than trading him would have changed Vontae's outlook.

I'm not saying anything for certain. My point all along has been that since we don't know, we can indict Philbin for that.

So, I'm sorry, but saying we don't know enough info, does in fact, give me plenty of legs to stand on. You still need to prove some stuff however.....

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm not saying anything for certain either, but I'm also not the one saying my opinion on the matter is fact, which in a sense you are trying to say by insinuating my opinion doesn't have a leg to stand on.

You're operating under the preseumtion that Philbin definitely did something because he didn't "give up on the player" because we weren't the ones shopping him apparently. I can also say that you're operating under the presumption that being traded was indeed the catalyst that woke up Davis. Maybe it was the different approach of the coaching in Indy.

I'm also saying we don't know. I'm just presenting the other side of the coin that maybe, just maybe we can indict Philbin for that.

Why do I need to prove something with my position, yet you don't when neither of us clearly know? Why are you right, and I'm apparently wrong?

All I'm saying is, don't be so quick to write off an opinion that isn't your own, because you can't disprove anything that forms part of my opinion on this position, other than the fact that we weren't trying to trade Vontae, however, I never once said we were. The point I'm trying to make here, really isn't anything to do with Vontae Davis, or Joe Philbin.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Philbin's personality and emotional deficiencies continue to affect us on the field.

Get me a coach who doesn;t need to discard players for off-the-field reasons, but can actually work with many personality types. Those coaches win a lot.

Seems like there are lots of personality types, learning-types, and other types that Philbin simply doesn;t work well with.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, that's not what you're doing.

I was having a discussion with another poster who holds the exact same stance you do (so there's really no need to present the same thing to me again).

To which you said:
    Now, I get its vogue, to tell me I believe my stances are facts, but tell me in that ^ post what you did not present as a fact.

Don't get sanctimonious, it paints you in the light of a hypocrite.

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    It's not about one game genius, Vontae has been a top 5 corner in football for the past two seasons. We're not talking about some ordinary player, the guy was a first round pick and the most gifted corner in the entire class that year, he was always worth being patient with because his upside is what you're seeing now, one of the best CBs in football. The trade was dumb at the time, and looks idiotic at this point. But bad decisions are a staple of this joke franchise so hey, whaddya gonna do.

djphinfan and jdang307 like this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    How many years was Vernon Davis in the dog house? He didn't break out until his fourth year. Mike Singletary came in and whooped Vernon's arse. Now look at Vernon. Yes he had a down year but has been a top TE for a little while now.

Joe Philbin is somewhat of a coward in that sense. He'd rather get rid of a player, than have to deal with him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-he-thanked-mike-singletary-for-benching-him/

brandon27 likes this.