1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’ve Written a Book - Cruciform Equality

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Title and blurb below:

Cruciform Equality: The Biblical Trajectory Toward Equality and Jubilee for Women

It’s published at Amazon. Can’t link here (probably part of the rules of the site).

Navigating the rich and variegated texts of the Bible that relate to women, Jeff Young proposes a significant revaluation of the apparently straightforward traditional, complementarian, or patriarchal prescriptions that serve as the backdrop to decades of discussion and debate related to the status, roles, and equality of women.

Initially, he considers how we might evaluate the controversial subjects; the concerns of some feminist theologians with respect to the crucifixion of Jesus as a pattern for discipleship; and how culture influences every perspective – conservative or liberal. A critical emphasis, for any student or believer, is an evaluation of how we read and understand the scriptures considering their nature and identity and the divine purpose for human flourishing (shalom). This exercise is essential, as it most likely shapes the path to one set of conclusions versus another, especially in the matter of women and equality.

Careful attention is given to the story of women in both the Hebrew and Greek scriptures, with necessary emphasis on both the biblical and cultural contexts for understanding and analyzing what appear to be clear, proscriptive New Testament texts. Young explores what impact the eternal divine goal of new creation may have in the present; how gospel mission concerns shaped New Testament instruction in various church settings; and how those same missional concerns in twenty-first century Western cultures might require a different set of considerations.

A final series of excurses seeks to address somewhat ancillary yet important elements in church and family relating to men and women, including the Greco-Roman household, the nature of church leadership, and gender and identity.

Young seizes on the possibility that a cruciform model might provide a fresh way forward; a subversion of power orientations in churches, while introducing a promise of jubilee that brings gender distinctions into divine balance.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    gafinfan, danmarino and Ohiophinphan like this.
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I understand I am just reading the advertising teaser/synopsis, but would it be fair to paraphrase an intent of the analysis is to say "In order to be faithful to scripture in the present world, may require a different answer than scripture suggests"? I ask this because I have written and argued one of Paul's overwhelming concerns was to avoid any disrepute being brought against the nascent Church. Thus you restrict women's leadership in the first Century. But, today in order to not bring the Church to disrepute in society is to include women in leadership. Segregating them out today, does the same as including them in the first century.

gafinfan and Da 'Fins like this.
  3. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes. That’s accurate. That is one of my arguments within the book. That Paul even subsumed his own freedoms at times for the free flow of the gospel in order to provide the best chance for those freedoms to be properly grounded. I also argue that there are what some scholars call “seed texts” that point toward full equality (Gal. 3:26-29; Col. 3:10-11; etc). As well as that any proscriptions for women roles are culturally related as opposed to universal. But that comes out from an analysis of each particular text and its context both locally and broadly.

gafinfan and Ohiophinphan like this.
  4. Ohiophinphan

Thanks, I will be ordering it.

5. Ohiophinphan

It should arrive next week and will go onto my vacation reading list in late April/May. Read your bio on Amazon. When you were at USF did you do much with Dr. Jim Strange? I served in Clearwater from 84-87 and then Lakeland from 87-90. Took some adult Ed stuff with Jim and then regularly attended some Biblical Archeology conferences at Florida Southern with him. Great guy!

Oh, and we are fellow alums of USF, mine was a BA in MassCom in '74 before my seminary work at Lutheran Southern in Columbia. SC from 80-84. Got my M.Div. there.

p.s. Your wife looks lovely!

Have a blessed Easter.

6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Gentlemen, on a practical level, each and every man child's personal, home life experience, (IMO) weighs heavily on his treatment of women as an adult. Respect in the home breeds the same throughout life.
    PS Thanks for the heads up I'll order mine tomorrow.

Okay it's a kindle so I'm into the beginning, just over100, a long way to go yet.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Ohiophinphan likes this.
  7. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

If I may, with the fact that I'm a reader not a writer and my book learning is not up to your standard, where you've come from in life is not jermain to the subject you write about. My suggestion, for the future, the KISS principle. The, I've walked in your shoes, is unnecessary and quite frankly is belittling to some.
    You've picked a wonderful and worthy subject matter, very dear to my heart, the truth of your story shines thru, let that be your guiding light.
    PS In my travels I've found that rich, poor, white, colored, educated or not the truth always shines thru. I sincerely hope I have not offended you or your quest.

Ohiophinphan likes this.