1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am over the whole coaching search at this point....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Jan 20, 2012.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Is there really that much difference between Philbin, McCoy, and Bowles that you have to take this much time in making your decision? Just pick one!

Every day that goes by is a day less on putting the staff together, getting acclimated, scouting for the draft, learning the players, and just putting everything in place.

Right now Ireland is missing East-West Shrine Game practices due to the coaching search. If this goes into next week we are then missing out on Senior Bowl practices.

Just pick one of the guys....Enough is enough already.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    just toss their names in a hat huh??..lol..

No difference in the three men huh, shouldn't matter, all three will provide the same results in your opinion..

That was pretty funny..

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ok.

dolphindebby likes this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I will say, if Ross wasn't blown away by one of the guys, and doesn't instinctively know which guy is the right one, then it's probably a sign that we should keep looking.

I've interviewed people. you know almost immediately who the person you want is

smahtaz and Stitches like this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
  6. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Thats exactly correct.

I will not belabor the point of who we went after the last two years or why, but out of those left in our pool, are they having the same sticking points?

We just cant assume its down to just picking on the Dolphins side.

7. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    If one of these guys was so much better than the other, do you think we would be having this discussion right now?

You have 2 offense minded guys, 1 defense. You have 1 that has minimal head coaching experience, 2 that don't. Outside of that, they are pretty much = in the eyes of the trust. If they weren't, one of these 3 would have blown them away and been hired on the spot.

Honestly, with Ross leading the way...I have zero confidence in anyone he chooses.

I said it before, just give the job to Bowles. He gives the best chance of something happening. At least the players know him and the trust is there. Philbin...you have no idea if his head will even be right after what happened. McCoy...just a lot of meh around him.

8. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
  9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Bold makes me laugh....

10. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Its not just the coach thats a factor, dont you think they need to see whom will come to this team as a OC or DC, if they chose Philbin or McCoy, who can they lure away from other teams. If it is hard to find a HC, can you imagine (hard it will be) who will come to fill the other spots when they become available, if the new HC wants his own crew?

11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don't you get the feeling that Ross would be like this with any candidate?

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Maybe they really like both candidates and are really digging for an advantage? This is a large decision.

13. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    No, not really.

He was introduced to Harbaugh prior to the Orange Bowl last year and enw immediately that he was the right guy for the job and immediately set about wooing him.

Even this year, he knew Cowher and Gruden were the best choices, and I do believe either of those guys would have gotten full control. He liked Fisher, but wasn't enamored enough to give him full control.

I actualy like Ross's instincts in this regard, which is why his continued defense of Ireland is baffling to me. But it's certainly possible he sees something that I don't.

Long story short, I'd trust Ross's gut on a coach. If he doesn;t have a gut feeling yet, he shouldn't settle. Send Ireland to the senior bowl alone if you have to and inetrview coaches yourself.

14. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have to agree that there isn't a whole lot of difference when it comes to these three coaches. In fact I have no idea why McCoy is such a hot name in the head coaching circles. The fact is that he was unable to use Kyle Orton effectively earlier in the season and Orton is certainly a much better NFL QB than Tebow.

All the hype about how effective he was in getting the Broncos offense going under Tebow is also not backed up by the facts. Tebow was the starting QB for the last eight games of the regular season and the two playoff games. During these ten games, the Broncos offense average less then 19 points a game.

The reality is that it was the Broncos defense which was responsible for the vast majority of the wins posted by the team this past season. Tebow had his success this year for the same reason the Wildcat offense was a success in 2008. Both the Tebow offense and the Wildcat are offenses which NFL defenses were not used to seeing on a week to week basis. Eventually defenses figured out how to stop the Wildcat, just as defenses will figure out how to stop the Tebow led run offense. McCoy certainly didn't do anything to improve the passing skills of Tebow.

Based on the overall play of the Denver Broncos this past season, I have to wonder why the defensive coordinator of the Broncos isn't a head coaching candidate instead of McCoy.

mullingan likes this.
  15. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/01/dolphin-owner-steve-ross-has-tough-decision-to-make.html

All indications point to this decision coming down to Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, a young and hungry up and comer who Ireland endorses, and Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, whom sources say Ross was impressed with from their initial discussions.

Does Ross listen to his GM and hire McCoy, who has helped every quarterback he’s worked with improve, and showed off a versatile style as Denver’s playcaller in 2011?

Or does he go with his gut and hire Philbin, who has run the most efficient west coast offense for the past five seasons?

McCoy has produced solid offenses without elite quarterbacks. Philbin has helped Aaron Rodgers become an elite quarterback.

Seems to me that Ireland is trying to sell Ross on McCoy, I wonder if he see's that he can control McCoy more than Philbin and if it fails he can just blame McCoy and save his *** again? If Ross was really impressed with Philbin then go with him, I think he can get a better staff in place than McCoy.

jw3102 likes this.
  16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Thats what scouts are for.

17. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Does anyone have any info about this?

Jeff Darlington Twitter 1/13/2012

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, the info is that that tweet is a week old.

SICK likes this.
  19. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Thanks.

Just curious who it was.

20. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Philibin it is!

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Details to follow