1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I bought an engagement ring

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Aqua4Ever04, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Write Travis Write Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Haven't ventured to these parts for a while, and since I was previously the habitual relationship advice requester, I thought this could turn into an interesting topic.

Since those days, I've grown up a tad. Been with a wonderful girl for over 2 years now, we live together, I think we've had maybe two fights ever.

So I did it. Now I gotta figure out how to ask her.

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Just a Guy Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Congrats man! Thats awesome!

In the end, it doesn't mean all that much HOW you ask her, your eventual life together won't hinge on that one way or another, but if you make it a good memory, it will be something she looks back on fondly.

Do better than I did. I waited all day to find the right time, we went out to dinner and shopping, and I ended up just getting down on one knee after we got home, lol. She still kids me about it 12 years later.

Rocky Raccoon and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  3. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hah! That's great. I wanted to use one of those online book builder things and I was going to write the story of "us" (fitting given my passion to be a writer, right?)

So I was thinking about doing that, with the last page being about our engagement and when she turns to the last page, getting down on a knee.

Just need to figure out the moment.

rafael, Fin D, Fin-O and 1 other person like this.
  4. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm the least romantic dude on earth. We were in bed watching TV...

Me: Let's get married.
    Her: Ok.
    Us: Bumping uglies

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That sounds like a really cool idea, and I bet almost any woman would love it.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's a really good idea! The copywriting/digital marketing realm is my wheelhouse- let me know if you need any help with it or someone to edit stuff afterwards. I have a few subscriptions to video/explainer-making software as well if you'd rather do it that way.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Sorry, had to go yell at a kid and didn't finish that post. As far as the timing goes, there's never a perfect time unless you make one. Take her to a nice dinner in an area where there's stuff to do outdoors (near the mountains, lake, beach, whatever) and then afterwards, take her for a walk in said area. Hold her hand, stroll around for a little bit, then when the moment feels right say, "Oh, there's something I wanted to show you....check this out on my phone/tablet."

Then you play the video/storybook, pop the ring and go make boom-boom in the Subaru. The end. :tt1:

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  8. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Got you covered. I just sent a screen shot of your post to her inbox. BOOM DONE. You're welcome.

SICK, Galant, danmarino and 6 others like this.
  9. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I like that.

Do it.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  10. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Hey Aqua, text me your address immediately. I'll load up the SUV and we'll head off for parts unmentionable. Seriously, It's not too late! We can still save you! Don't you realize marriage is the number one cause of Divorce in this country! If you really don't want your money, freedom, drugs or sex anymore we can find them a good home.

You want to know what marriage is like? Walk outside, open the door to your car. Take out your manhood, and slam it in the car door. Now, that flippin hurt right? OK so do it again, yes I said do it again! And again! Keep slamming your junk in the car door until it starts to feel good, until you can't imagine a time when doing anything else with your boys but slamming them in the car door over and over and over and over and over again ever felt good. Be about year 2 or so, if you don't have kids.

You ever heard of the three rings? You should know this because you are almost to the first ring, which is the engagement ring, then comes the wedding ring, followed by the SUFFERring.

Tell me true...EVERY old married man you've ever met has told you. Don't DO IT!!! But I know, she's beautiful and I love her and she makes my naughty parts all tingly Grampa! They all tell us, and we don't listen. We say It'll be different for me, she's not like that! You're just a grumpy old bastard!

Please, we have lost SO MANY good men lately. We Can't lose you. Aqua forever she says? Aqua's got to cut the grass today, he can't come out and play. Aqua, don't you think two beers is enough? Aqua, I know you like to smoke that stuff but I really don't like the smell. And then, duhn duhn duhn, Aqua, I'm tired, stop...I said no Aqua, I have to get up early tomorrow now just got to sleep!

SLAM!!! SLAM!!! SLAM!!! SLAM!!! SLAM!!!

11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin RIP Phinsational Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ...and that’s just the foreplay!!

cuchulainn, Puka-head and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  12. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Congrats man

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    You must suck at picking a mate.

Unlucky 13, Aqua4Ever04 and Puka-head like this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    trav, I don't care what anyone tells you, if you're with the RIGHT person, marriage/relationship is not difficult and it is certainly not work.

When it comes to careers people always say "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Then they'll also say that marriage is hard work. These contradict each other and are in fact the exact opposite of the truth.

You've chosen the right person when your first priority is them....not football, friends, beer, or whatever other cliche crap that men are supposed to do. Then you're never sacrificing for her if you miss out on those things. The other factor is that she feels the same way about you.

15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Hey, I love my wife of 19 years and all....but leave football out of this! :smile:

On a more serious note, he's absolutely right- it's about building a future together with someone who knows, loves and understands you. It's knowing that she will be there for you no matter what. Even when you feel like you're at your worst, she's there to pick you up and push you forward towards bigger and better things. People say marriage is work because it's a two-way street...you will have to sacrifice for her and eventually your kids. But the alternative is missing out on that journey with a partner in life and sharing everything that makes the world awesome....the sacrifice is well worth it.

The best advice I can give you is that if you're going to do this, be prepared to go all-in. Your wife should be the center of your universe, your everything, and she should feel the same way about you. As long as that's there and you communicate early and often, you'll have a great marriage. The divorce rate in this country is almost strictly over lack of communication- crap goes wrong and people start taking to friends/family instead of their spouse. So don't be that guy and you'll have a great life with her.

Good luck brother!

16. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Actually I've been married for 20 years. Have two beautiful girls and am surrounded by love. But it hasn't been easy, that poor woman of mine. She's only thrown me out twice so I guess I'm not that bad.

But Aqua is young, there's still time to save him!

cuchulainn and ToddPhin like this.
  17. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    In all seriousness my brother, It all comes down to one very simple thing. Not whether she is perfect or you are perfect for each other. I agree with Fin D (I know, don't get all emotional about it it had to happen sometime!) That when you are with the right person it's easy(er). But the definition of right person is so abstract that you shouldn't use it for something like marriage.

Best advice from an old dude I ever got (other than Grampa who said to me when I was 10, "If'n she won't swaller it don't flippin bother, amongst many other similar wisdoms) was marriage isn't 50%-50%, it's 110%-110% and if you aren't willing to sacrifice all of yourself for the other, not going to be a good investment.

But I caution you to not fall in to that hype completely, both of you. Maintain your self identity. It's ok to have hobbies, interests and relationships that don't include the spouse. If she can't, or you can't respect each others strength and independence as a part of the whole, ya got nuthin.

My wife doesn't need me in her life, I don't need her either. She wants to be in my life, and I want her in mine, but either one of us can function without the other (she might disagree that I can function without her, but that's another story.)

Bottom line seems to be for me, the one thing that matters more than any other,

Does she MAKE you want to be a better man? OR
    Does she make you WANT to be a better man?

18. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    By the way, take a look at the picture you posted from the Dolphins at Seahawks last year. Top of the picture, big fat belly with a throwback #39 aqua jersey, no head. That's my wife on my left at her fist ever NFL game. She could give an ish about football, but she knows I do so she got us tickets to the game. I won't spend money on myself like that.

KeyFin likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Is this to become our next "An 18 year old girl likes me. Tell me why not" thread? :shifty:

Just playin' Travis. Best of luck on your slow death my friend.

20. Boik14

Boik14 Admin Club Member Retired Administrator

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And I brought you a marriage guide:

:shifty:

ToddPhin, Fin-O, cuchulainn and 2 others like this.
  21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Definitely. Gotta be able to maintain your own identity. Marriages end up sucking when one or both spouses are asked or needed to compromise too much of themselves. No need to feel like you've gotta spend every waking moment with a person when you're now gonna be involved with them for more time than you know what to do with.

22. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I really hope life gives us a chance to party together. No cameras please!

Boik14 likes this.
  23. Boik14

Boik14 Admin Club Member Retired Administrator

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Lol and this is the picture you chose to quote me on while requesting that!?!?! No thanks you :no:

Just messing with ya....but seriously nah not like that :console:

Fin-O and Puka-head like this.
  24. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Yah no tongue, just get your sense of humor...but yuck!

It did seem quite appropriate to the conversation however. If she's not willing to lick your butthole Aqua... she may not be "the one"

Boik14 likes this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah Puka, I believe Fin D is the member you are looking for in regards to recreating that, erm, moment.

His PMs are always open!

Fin D, cuchulainn and Boik14 like this.
  26. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Only if he posts something like, "When do you guys think it's safe to take the chains off and let her out of the basement?" That's what I kept waiting for in the other thread.

27. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Poor Kevin. He's going to miss you're collaboration and writing. :shifty:

28. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Wait a minute!!! Was Aqua trying to send us a message??? Maybe HE IS chained up in the basement!!! I bought an engagement ring could be a cry for help, but he knows she's watching so he can't just say "GET ME OUT OF HEEEERRE!!!

KeyFin likes this.
  29. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    He is kinda cute when he's angry isn't he?:tt1:

30. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 14, 2008
    CONGRATS, AQUA! I totally agree with Fin D on this. If you choose wisely, it can be work at times, but it is always work worth doing. I think the bigger problem is that people figure they can just let it all go now that they are married. It take a divorce to lose 30 pounds, cut back on the beer, etc. Why not do those things while still married to your spouse? Keep dating them for life (because it makes it fun for both of you), and you will have few problems you can't overcome together.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  31. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Garsh Dangit now that's TWO flippin posters that have agreed with FinD! :omg:

This could be the end of the world as we know it! FinD right! Twice in a row?!? Aqua MARRIED!!! Whats next? Cats and dogs sharing the same bathrooms? Non-profit health care? The sun rising in the west? I can't take this ish!

This kind of thing keeps going on the Dolphins could win the Super Bowl and THEN WHERE WOULD WE BE!!!???

KeyFin, Fin D and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  32. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Remember - let the moment be the surprise and not the question!

Fancy restaurant is always good - I did that with my wife and we use it for an anniversary spot now as well. :)

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife and I went to the same place to eat on our first anniversary as our first date, planning that it might be a tradition, only to find it closed. Now with two kids, we just hope that we can have a night out just the two of us at some point anywhere near our actual anniversary, lol.

Puka-head and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  34. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    We did The Melting Pot - a swanky fondue chain. Nice thing is that they are in multiple cities, so when we moved we just found one close to the new place. We had a babysitter for our last anni (had a 1 year old), and the hospital babysat the first time he was around since he was in the NICU.

Aqua4Ever04 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    congrats. I've done it twice

The first time (when I was younger) I couldn't find the right moment in the restaurant, ended up asking her in the car in the parking lot. That marriage failed after 18 months.

2nd time, I was in hills above Muir Woods on a cliffside. we climbed out to the edge of the cliff. I carefully kneeled down and proposed to her. Told her if she said no, I'd push her off the cliff (jokingly). still married after 15 years.

Boik14, ToddPhin and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  36. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    The Melting Pot is the ****. We actually went there for my 30th birthday last month. That chocolate truffle desert fondue is the best thing I've ever had.

texanphinatic likes this.
  37. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I love their jalepeno cheese fondue. serious heartburn after that dinner

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  38. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    @Aqua4Ever04

Travis, what ring did you (or she) pick out? How much did you spend? When's the big moment?

39. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    So the real reason this is being brought up here is that we are going to Vegas for the bachelor party right?

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  40. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have a picture of it. It was 7 grand after everything (I know) and I have decided yet.