I don't like the preseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tirty8, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    The amount of torque it puts on your lower extremities to punt a ball that far is an injury bound to happen.

I remember in the late 90’s a doctor posted an article about how Tiger Woods can’t physically hold up into his late 50’s because of the amount of force his body exelerienced from his ability to swing so hard.

Insane just right he ended up being.

If you throw 100MPH for 15 years, you will eventually have extreme shoulder pain, for a pro you just hope it’s after you are done playing.

Modern medicine is getting so good however that the gap is being bridged.

KeyFin likes this.
  2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Tigers problem is mental though. Yes, he had a back injury, but Fred Couples has also suffered from back problems, and his swing is not nearly as torquey as Tigers was.

3. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That still will be inaccurate, as the starters aren't playing full games in the preseason, not even close. So looking at injury rates over a 4 game span during the regular season isn't going to give you accurate numbers. Probably a better way to look at it is to look at average number of snaps played per injury. Then you could look at the average number of snaps starters play in preseason, and get an idea of how often starters are injured in preseason. When a star gets hurt in preseason, it becomes a thing because it's a star...but I still feel like the injuries from preseason are over exaggerated.

4. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Dude had an injury that professional doctors questioned he if he would ever play again.

I can’t call that mental.

5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Well, I think it's closer than you do because a lot of injuries happen in practice. Right now, we have Alonzo sidelined with a neck injury (seems minor), Branch out with a knee injury, Hayes down with a hamstring pull, plus Ford, Smith and Taylor banged up. That's three potential starters without any games played...which fits my 3.43 injured per week in pre-season. We're technically in week 2 of practice so 6 injuries is about par for the course- we're actually one player ahead of the curve since the averages say we'll have 7 hurt instead of 6.

6. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    I think you might have barely missed the point...rofl. But it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
  7. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Doctors who admittedly had never examined him. Tiger is smashing the ball. His issue is mental. He needs to learn how to win, mostly, return to sink putts.

8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How long do practices go? I'd assume much longer, and more intense than a series or two in a preseason game.

Let's get rid of practices!! LOL

KeyFin likes this.
  9. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    I’m not talking about his play, talking about the fact it happened to him at an early age.

Sometimes being physically gifted has its setbacks.

10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Actually, if Tiger had kept the swing he came on tour with, he might not have had the back issue. He changed his swing like 3 times, tinkering with a far more torquey swing than he had as a youngster.

11. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    The CBA is between the olayers and owners, so the coaching staff get to advise the owners at best. The rationale for the cut down in training was to reduce injuries, but the FO stats cbradquoted pretty well show there’s been no significant reduction in the injury rate. Lots of anecdotal evidence says the quality of the on field product has suffered especially with respect to tackling and blocking.

12. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Players being injured during the preseason is no different than players being injured during the regular season. Football is a contact sport.