1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel bad for the 4th ranked Defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well after the Jets epic collapse last night, the Dolphins defense has moved up to 4th in the NFL, ahead of the Steelers and Ravens. They haven't given up more than 17 points since the Ravens game. [But apparently it only takes 13 points to beat us, so hopefully they can hold the Jets to 9]

It's a shame the offense is so schizo, because nobody talks about the Dolphins defense because of them, and they aren't getting the respect they should. Even Cameron Wake, there are still tons of people who don't know his name and he leads the NFL in sacks ahead of Clay Matthews. Major props to Mike Nolan... now if only we can find someone to do that to this on offense before it's too late.

It's not all the offenses fault though, the Dolphins have dropped so many INTs, including about 6-8 probable Pick 6's that could've been the difference in at least 2 more wins and would've surely got the defense attention. It's always something.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not. If they could generate some turnovers maybe Miami scores more points.

HULKFish and GMJohnson like this.
  3. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Yes. The defense does not produce enough turnovers and they never score.

HULKFish and GMJohnson like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Great turnaround year, and we missed Odie and Merling and Will Allen and Edds all season.

Now the real question is whether or not they can continue the upwards trend over the last 4 games as I would really love to head into 2011 with a rock solid, and very young Defense to build upon.

Next up..Special Teams

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    3rd round pick/fulltime returner..done.

with those 4 dudes coming back to our defense, this draft turns offensive..

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Its been amazing how the deep balls that were killing us last year have virtually disappeared, without the expected drop off in run defense. I credit Nolan and the maturation of our secondary, along with the heat from Wake. Hopefully we can now turn our attention to getting some play makers on offense and teaching our DBs how to catch. That'd be nice.

frozenfin likes this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Brad Smith can be had this offseason. He can return and cover kicks as well as run the Wildcat. He and James Jones would fit in nicely on our WR corps. Upgrades, but without breaking the bank or spending all of our Deangelo Williams & Johnathan Joseph money :shifty:.

8. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    The defense is playing lights out - especially considering that they don't get a lot of help from poor field position from the offense and STs.

frozenfin likes this.
  9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Imagine if we could actually have any pass rush other then Wake out there? or DBs that caught the ball? we have a good defense, but we could be great. Im really really looking forward to that defense next season, thats for sure.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To high of a draft pick for that deej, that could be our next Center.

The Return game is actually really great this yr, Carroll is over 25 ypa, Dbess over 10 ypa.

Real problem areas are blocking on FG's and Punts which is a esoteric area to fix as the guys who do those jobs well you or I have never heard of..

Darren Rizzi has done a good, not great, job on ST, it would not surprise if he came back for 2011, but I'd like someone like Frank Gansz Jr from UCLA.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would look into Smith, Williams, and Greenway..

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I had dexter mccluster or Javier arenas on my mock draft in the third last year, if one was available they were gonna be a dolphin...they both went in the 2nd..

13. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    When I think ST rankings I think less of our return abilities, and more about our COVERAGE failures. And that includes BLOCKING to get the kicks off to begin with. We have been bad - inconsistent in coverage all year.

14. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Imagine if the offence could acually score some points.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wouldn't say that BDH, we have given up some return TD's (2?) overall though we do a good job of limiting return yards overall.

16. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jonathan Joseph is a very, very good CB, but has no hands either. I wouldn't be upset if we threw money at DeAngelo Williams, but personally, I'd rather throw it at any 2 of the following 3 in Logan Mankins, Carl Nicks, or Davin Joseph and draft a RB like Mark Ingram, Mikel LeShoure, or Kendall Hunter.

17. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    We have given up Blocks for TDs too (and blocked FG trys).....its all "coverage" breakdowns to me.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Hang on to the ball please.

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They still need another pass rusher. I'm against the whole obsession of drafting for the offense entirely because that doesn't do anything for you. Especially on the offensive side of the ball it takes a long time to develop anything. QB? Not unless he's a top of the first round guy and if he isn't he's probably not much better than Henne with the way QBs are in the NFL there right now (heavily first round pick dominated and upper tier guys that were either drafted high or slipped, not the Jason Campbells/Joe Flaccos).

This forum will hate this, but I'd much rather draft a SOLB, see if Misi can play ILB, and see if we can make a truly dominant defense the likes of which Brady will piss his pants playing against. Not spending a 1st on a f'in mediocre TE in Rudolph, WRs that are hit or miss and not guaranteed to be better than Hartline, and RBs you can get almost anywhere. Forget that. That's 2007 draft bull****. Don't settle for very good. At least let teams know that when they play the Dolphins, they're playing a defense as good as or dare I say one day better than Baltimore/Pittsburgh/NY/Chicago. I want the best defense in the league. I think we can have it and I know we would for a fact if we had Patrick Willis. Not letting that opportunity go through your hands again is critical.

20. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I agree on not drafting the TE, WR or QB but I really like the team would improve more with a great RBing then an OLB

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Waste of a first round pick. Improve the OL, sign one, draft one later whatever you wish but if the guy isn't flat out special (Ingram with deep speed would be) no thanks. Only the Steelers out of the four primary competitors we have have spent a first round pick on a RB. He's not even that great. You improve your running game from let's say 4 YPC with Ronnie (most years) to 4.5 in a RBC. That's 9 yards. No really that's nine yards you've improved during the course of a game. Imagine we had Woodley opposite of Wake that's probably a loss of nine yards each possession.

22. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Isn't LaMarr Woodley scheduled to be a free agent at seasons end? Or is he one of those cases where the CBA determines his free agent status? I would love to have him opposite Cam Wake.

23. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He is I think. If he's not franchised, forget Mankins.

By the way if Murtha replaces Carey well at RT (big test coming up), we may have more money to go after another player such as a Woodley. I can only imagine how that defense would look. Leeggggeeen-darrrrry! Heck throw your first round pick at defense too maybe at Akeem Ayers.

DE- Starks, Odrick
    NT- Soliai, Starks, Baker
    DE- Langford, McDaniels, Merling
    LOLB- Woodley, Misi, Francis
    LILB- Dansby, Edds
    RILB- Ayers, Dobbins
    ROLB- Wake, Moses
    CB- Davis, Allen, Sapp
    CB- Smith, Caroll
    FS- Clemons, Culver
    SS- Bell, Jones

#1 D?

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    We're already a top 5 defense. We should think about upgrading one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That offense has plenty of talent. You can't throw money and picks and expect it to get better just like that.

We're not a true shutout defense.

26. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Abut half our D has not hit Prime Time, and is still learning. They should all get better. Add in Merling, Odrick, Edds, Jones, Allen and Carroll coming back. I am very excited about our D.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    heavy Draft and free agency for the offense/returner....no question in my mind.

DolfanJake likes this.
  28. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I feel bad for me. Why? Because this D lacks the ability to turn a big play, because I can''t excuse the dropped picks and its like a kick in the nuts every time I watch it.

You want pity look between paltry & puny in the dictionary.

29. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think I might prefer Malcolm Floyd to Jones. He's probably going to be set free with the attention on McNeill, Gates, and Jackson.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, what will improve ST is continuity, the same guys coming back into their roles in 2011 as in 2010, it is interesting to note that the best ST Coach in the NFL, Bobby April is having a hard go of it in Philly, he did not get stupid overnight it takes time to build a unit, a good unit on ST.

As for FA for a returner, eh, well, I like Brad Smith as he would instantly make the Wildcat far more deadly, and he is a great returner, other than that I am not seeing anyone who would make the unit take a huge leap upwards in 2011 on FA.

On offense..you got me bro, think we need a Te, think Cobbs should see more time as the scatback, think we need some new blood in the backfield as well, and maybe we need a Center and would like to see Nate Garner have a shot at it first though.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just saw a clip of that quote you have in your sig Greyson....translation.....we didnt have the effort necessary to win.

32. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    STs over upgrading the offense ????????????????????? Please let it stop........

33. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    If Sparano wants to keep his job (if he has one come the draft) his # 1 priority has to be on offense. If not, and they draft several O guys and some D....if I am Ross both Sparano & Ireland would be gone before the next OTA or mini-camp.