1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have decided to read the bible

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    My new years resolution for the year 2009 is to read the bible.

So I am wondering which version of the New Testastament do you recommend?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Revelation.

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I have a Life Application Bible, a New Universal Version that I use Dupree. I find it easier to understand than the King James, and it has copious footnotes that help explain and put the verses into historical context. Good luck, I hope you find it interesting and stimulating, as opposed to a chore you promised yourself to accomplish.

anditsgood, SICK, Ducken and 2 others like this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    thanks for your answer.

Even though I am know Christianity is not the choice for me, the Bible is still a very influencial book and Jesus is really an interesting person.

I have decided to deepen my "spirituality" that I choose to read one holy book a year. The year 2009 is the Bible. Right now 2010 is between the Qur'an and the The Kitáb-i-Aqdas. Qur'an because Islam is huge and The Kitáb-i-Aqdas because a lot of my family are Baha'is

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I have a Muslim friend who made me the gift of a Qur'an. I work at it time to time but find it hard to read in verse.

6. anlgp

cnc66 likes this.
  7. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I have a New International version that I love. The study notes and articles in it are great.
    I also have an Everyday Bible that's great too. I got this from Billy Graham.
    I love studying the Bible, and reading the footnotes etc. I also use several concordances and study books.
    If you sit down and let yourself just enjoy it, you'll never regret it.
    The King James version is far easier to understand if you have a good study Bible to compare with it.
    Let us know how it goes.

PMZQ likes this.
  8. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    [​IMG]

SICK, azfinfanmang, gafinfan and 4 others like this.
  9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its definately one of the more intresting books.

cnc66 likes this.
  10. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Our denomination (Lutheran) uses the New Revised Standard Bible (NRSV). It is a very good translation but sometimes is a bit hard to read. The New International Version (NIV) mentioned above is also very good and a little easier to read though its translaters brought a bit more of an agenda to their job. Its still my second favorite English version.

For pure readablilty I like the CEV, Contemporary English Version, which puts an emphasis on flow.

In addition, it is not just the translation to look out for but the study notes. Since any translation is still working with a two millenia old text you will need some explanatory helps. I like the Oxford Annotated Version or the Schofield Reference Bible.

Finally look to the order you read things in. When I work with folks I suggest they read Luke first, then Mark and Matthew, followed by Luke again, Acts and then John. After John read the letters of John followed by the Pauline letters reading I and II Thessalonians, Galatians, Colossians, Phillipians, Ephesians, I and II Corinthians, Romans, and finally Philemion, the two Timothys, and Titus. You can then pick up the rest of the general epistles with Hebrews and Revelation being held out until the end. Make sure you especially read those last two with some good "helps", probably more than one each since there is some variance at what their symbolism means. Oxford and Schofield are pretty straight forward and aren't trying to convince anyone so I like to start there.

Best wishes and don't hesitate to ask if you have a question or two. Here to help.

Ducken and cnc66 like this.
  11. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    im interested in some commentaries. any recommendations?

12. Ohiophinphan

You looking for a one volume for the whole Bible? Specific books? Just for general study? With a little more information from you and a little research on my part, I think I can help.

maynard likes this.
  13. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I use both the NIV and an Orthodox Study Bible. I find that they are very similar, yet at times give the same story a different twist. Its fun to compare.

14. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    im mostly interested in paul's letters

15. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    After Jesus, Paul is my most favorite man in the Bible. There should be all kinds of commentaries etc. about him out there.
    Find a good Christian bookstore and they will help you find all you need.
    I have a book by Charles Swindoll about Paul. It's sort of a character study with a lot of personal thoughts about Paul, plus scriptures etc. Swindoll wrote a series of books about people in the Bible like Moses, Job, Jesus etc. They really make you think. They are good books.
    It's just called Paul.
    He brings them to life and has a lot of the history and habits etc. of that time.
    A good bookstore can help you find all kinds of things for you to use and study.
    Good luck in your search. I would love to be more like Paul, he's such an interesting man and all for Christ.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To be honest about it, try a more irreverent version like the Living Bible, for myself I liked "The Word Made Fresh", it was a heavily edited and commented version that was just a flat out fun read.

For example, the Caanites were "The Moscow Muggers"...it was a heck of alot of fun, but still got the basic point across.

:up:

http://kenanderson.net/bible/html/word_made_fresh.html

17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    great post and i agree!

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    A little update, I haven't bought a bible yet. Those things are expensive. Plus I am saddened by the fact I cannot just buy the new testement. Since I have little interest in reading the old testement.

I have decided to get the Oxford Annotated Version off amazon. I am doing that now.

It is going to be an interesting read for me since my mindset is not really looking for answers. More of an interest in a book that is very influenctial in the spirtuality of the country I live in. I am not even convinced that Jesus actually existed. Of course the more I thought about it, the less I cared since with my beliefs it does not matter. Whether anyone exists or not does not matter, what matters is the message behind the person. Since basically none of us actually exist. ;)

19. anlgp

you're thinking more eastern spirituality or western mysticism right there.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    that makes sense for me, since that has been my biggest influences

anlgp likes this.
  21. anlgp

you too huh ;)

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    it is what feels right to me.

23. Ohiophinphan

I'm glad to hear you have not given up the quest. Keep us informed.

I would suggest care at bringing too much of yourself into a text, any text for that matter, but especially a text intended to bring about spiritual change. Try and allow the text to inform your beliefs and not the other way around. See if it works???

24. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Cool! Make sure you have it finished by next week and tell me what you think. =)

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I plan to do that as much as possible.

Still my "self" is my favorite plaything.

I do not mean that in a dirty way you dirty bastards ;).

26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    "Still my "self" is my favorite plaything". LOL! I think the church frowns on that kind of thing. ....just messin'

27. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

King James Version

Themole and codizzle like this.
  28. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    How is the reading going? Which version are you using Dupree?

It's late in the game but NIV is a readable version if not a great translation for detailed study (it uses what is called "dynamic equivalence" - not anything close to word-for-word, but tries to get the equivalent modern meaning; this, however, does require a bit more than just translation - it involves some interpretation and in places that interpretation falls short). The NASB is closer to the Greek text and is still readable but not as smooth as the NIV. The NRSV is fine as well.

The KJV and NKJV come from a different set of Greek texts that are of a much later date than the Alexandrian Text Family (from which the NASB and NIV and many others are derived). But, they still will get you what you need. However, the KJV is not very readable for most unless you grew up hearing it.

29. Ohiophinphan

Well said, are you also a pastor or a layperson who actually listens? :wink2:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  30. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    LOL. I serve more as a full-time teacher with a church right now (not particularly in the role of pastor) and have spent a lot of time in theological studies over the years (even when I wasn't in that role).

Ohiophinphan likes this.