1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I mean... IDK sometimes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Itsdahumidity, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    I was never one to believe that we were/are cursed. But thinking about our waaaay too long SB drought and what's about to happen...

As of this post Philly is up big on Minny so it looks like they're headed for the SB. Good for them. Good for Torrey Smith & Alshon Jeffery. Chris Long & LeGarrette Blount are going back to back w/two DIFFERENT teams. smh...

Former Phins? On Philly alone Donnie Jones, Caleb Sturgis(IR), Dannell Ellerbe and some RB who could not be coached according to our HC. Can't wait to use the 31st or 32nd pick in the 4th round by the way. Thanks adam.

Sigh... I, like most Dolfans, ask every day "when is it going to end!?"

2. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm starting to think . . . nah, scratch that . . . I've been confident for quite a while now that it's the coach that has a problem coaching.

3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Okay, let's say you're 100% right- Gase sucks and he should be fired TODAY. Who do you hire tomorrow that is GUARANTEED to be better than Gase? Nick Saban part II? Enter the Gruden sweepstakes? I don't think those are even completely safe bets. Maybe Belichick? I'd call him a guarantee...that's the only name I can think of that would DEFINITELY have us playoff bound next year.

I understand you don't like Gase for what happened in 2017. But if we play the exact same game, what coach would have fixed the line, convinced Ajayi to run through holes, find a day 1 starting QB better than Cutler literally overnight, dealt with the crackhead line coach, fixed Timmon's mental breakdown, fought off the hurricane, overcame the massive travel early on and did it all without a bye week? No matter who you might name, I'm going to call BS in a major way. Because even if we did have Belichick on the sidelines or even the 80's version of Don Shula, I don't think we end up making the playoffs this year.

I'll say this though- if we're not better than 10-6 in 2018, I think the conversation starts about who our next head coach is for 2019. But as long as Gase manages 8+ wins, I think he's right back in the saddle for 2020. So I feel like he's a virtual lock for two more seasons UNLESS we repeat with another 6-10 year.

As I've stated before though, I feel like we're one more great draft away from being a Super Bowl team. Not playoffs, mind you, but Super Bowl. Get us that young stud linebacker to pair with McMillan, *****-slap Parker until his balls drop, and then turn RT loose to do what he does best. I really think we're that close to busting this wide open and it's all because of Gase.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  4. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    Belichick would have never made so many stupid personnel mistakes, nor is he hands off on the defense like Gase is. Gase is an embarrassment in that department.

For the record, I wasn't impressed with Gase in '16, either. Not only was the team extremely undisciplined then too, but we got incredibly lucky to win the amount of games we did. Yeah, we won 10 games and you can't take that away, but every bright mind had us winning considerably less in '17 due to the very thin margin in which we won those games. Every team faces adversity; the good ones deal with it appropriately and overcome.

And figures we have somehow became happy and complacent with 8 win seasons.

dolphin25 likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm 40 years old.

The last time the Dolphins won the division, I was 31.
    The last time they won a playoff game, I was 23.
    The last time they played in the AFC title game, I was 15.
    The last time they won 12 regular season games, I was 13. (that's when I became a diehard fan)
    The last time they played in the Super Bowl, I was 7. (that's when I became a fan)
    The last time they won the Super Bowl was four years before I was born.

Its been a while. A lot of things have gone wrong for the Dolphins. Bad coaching, bad front offices, and bad luck. But the same can be said for more than half of the teams in the AFC the last 15 years or so. The conference has been owned by the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos and Ravens, and formerly the Colts, and everyone else has been an also ran.

Then you have the Chargers and Jets, who've had sporadic good years mixed with bad ones. Their experiences are pretty much what would be average for a team in the NFC.

But if you're a fan of the Bills, Bengals, Browns, Titans, Texans, Jaguars, Chiefs or Raiders, you can say a lot of the same things that Dolphins fans have. We certainly aren't alone.

MAFishFan, aesop, ripper1961 and 2 others like this.
  6. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    If I was forced to choose HC right now, Id pick Jim Schwartz.

7. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Sorry but imo, if we don't make the postseason in 2018 he will be bleep-canned.

Like your optimism but again gotta disagree. What do we see from just about all of the playoff teams that our squad absolutely lacks? Discipline. We are at the bottom in penalties. Gather as much talent as your heart desires but if there is no accountability the players will respond in kind.

Also, we may have to put gase in the same philbin category when comes to player management. Their lazy attempts at finding solutions to "problems" are getting rid of players. It's up to gase to adjust but I wouldn't hold my breath.

hitman8 and Carmen Cygni like this.
  8. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This is really all my fault. About 17 or 18 years ago I bragged about how the Dolphins had had only 1 losing season in all their history. A guy bet me an ice cream that I was wrong, but he lost that bet. Ever since that year the Dolphins have pretty much sucked all for a freakin cup of ice cream :(

shamegame13 likes this.
  9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    We had 6 losing seasons before 2000:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/

Of course 4 of those 6 were our first 4 seasons, before Shula, but Shula also had 2 losing seasons out of his 26 years here (amazing stat eh?). Actually, Shula had only 2 losing seasons out of his combined 33 years coaching!
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShulDo0.htm

Only coach with no losing seasons with 10+ years coaching is John Madden, who also has the highest winning percentage in the SB era at 75.9%.

ripper1961, Unlucky 13 and danmarino like this.
  10. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I miss Madden in the booth. lol

cbrad likes this.
  11. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Only 2 in the NFL.... 4 of the ones you counted were AFL. But, that takes the blame off me I am all for it. It is a large burden to carry.

cbrad likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Fins had zero losing seasons from the point I stated jr high through when I was 26 and met my wife the last week of August, 2004. Immediately after that, they collapsed into what we now know them as.

I just can't have everything at the same time. My bad. My wife remains confused as to why I'm so passionate about a team that always stinks.

dolphin25 and cbrad like this.
  13. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    McVay is smart enough not to interfere with future HOF'er Wade Phillips.

Belichick is involved on every level of that team.

Defense is Gase's stepchild. Wake even said so last year.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Some coaches focus on one side of the ball. Not all of them, but its hardly unusual. That being said, given that the offense is Gase's baby, things better correct themselves in 2018. Obviously RT17 going down had a disasterous effect on this past season, but being one of the very worst teams in the league in a number of important categories just can't happen three years in a row, and especially when the coach is an offense-based guy.