1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Miss Being Optimistic

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finster, May 25, 2016.

1. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    It has hit me a little harder this year, because I am intrigued with the prospect of Gase, but it really sucks not being optimistic for an upcoming season.

I used to be optimistic most seasons, I was very optimistic with Saban, I think most fans were, which is why he's so hated, but I really thought he was going to be a very good NFL coach, and we all know how that ended.

I was fairly optimistic about Sparano, he walked, talked and looked like he could be a good NFL coach, then going into 09 I was pretty optimistic, Ireland's crazy way of team building was starting to worry me, but I was optimistic.

That was about it for my optimism, Ireland's eclectic team building was absolutely frustrating, so by the time the 2010 season started, I expected nothing, and here we are, 7 years away from the last time I was optimistic, and it full on sucks.

My brother is a Steelers fan, I am more emotionally affected by that team than my own team, sad, I still watch the Dolphins, still follow the Dolphins, but am emotionally checked out, because in 7 years, they've given me nothing to be optimistic about.

This year I am interested by Gase, something to look forward to, but it has just really made me realize how much I miss being optimistic about the Miami Dolphins.

I sure hope Gase is the guy, because I really need to be able to get optimistic about our team again.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Well this explains a lot....

Fin D likes this.
  3. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm optimistic every season. The NFL is highly competitive. Last seasons suckers can be this seasons Champions. New coach, new weapons, new style.. It's a sport. It's for entertainment. GOOOOOO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Well, suck it up

number21 and Fin D like this.
  5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Meh, it's a league wide malaise that affects every fan. There's constant give and take.

Ricky Williams said there is a danger to identifying with your team too much. As fans, we attach our egos to the sport, at least to some degree.

Never allow this sport, this diversion, this hobby to overwhelm you emotionally.

Philbin zombiefied and neutered this club emotionally. Can't you feel that filthy residue dripping away from your fandom by the day?

Need I remind you that Devante Parker is an artist. This squad is going to have jawdropping moments on offense, unquestionably. That alone will make it fun to watch.

Jakeem "The Dream" Grant is going to turn that frown upside down. Now who's my wittle optimist!?!

djphinfan and Finster like this.
  6. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Lol

7. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Finster be lucky its only been 7 years for you. Ive been disappointed for like 15-20 years. Since Shula left we have been a decent team, once in a while a good team but never a great team. It doesnt seem to matter who they brought in. We have had like 12 coaches, new schemes, and new players and it always ends up 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 type seasons. Talk about wearing your fandom out.

Im rooting for the new coach, but hes new. Alot to learn on the fly. It will take some time to get his feet wet. Our schedule is what has me worried again we have a thought one this year with a new headcoach multiple games on the west coast, and 8 divisional matchups which we basically got swept last year minus the New England Game.

Im now in a prove it to me mode before I get excited anymore.

Agua, dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  8. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    That sums it up for me, I feel your pain, I was a big JJ fan, I was glad we got him, who knew his heart wasn't really in it, and all the time after was disappointment, rinse wash repeat, except for 08.

Here's to hoping that we now have something to get excited about.

9. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

The beauty of sports is that past performance is irrelevant. Unlike many, I don't carry any hopes/expectations into a season. I just watch the games. Funny you would say that about Saban. I gave up my season tickets when he was hired. They almost sucked me back in after 2008 season but I never had any faith in Henne.

Finster likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    "Parker is an artist"

dig it.

I'm optimistic when there is a new regime change..that never changes..to Many different dynamics factor into winning and losing to not be..

New evaluators of talent always give you hope until you have enough time to find out if there good, average or bad.

Pressure is on the qb Imo..

Sceeto, Pandarilla and Finster like this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I used to be unrealistically optimistic. Now I just hope for the best every year. It takes the sting out a little when we suck or are mediocre. The last time I was optimistic was Cam Cameron. Then I squealed like a little girl when Camarillo caught that TD against Baltimore.

My buddy was texting me congrats. Congrats on NOT going 0-16? This is what we've become?

Forget all of that. Show me first.

dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  12. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Go back to his college highlights and even last year's highlights. They're all pretty unique and works of art...Chambers was graceful but not necessarily powerful. Parker is a new breed tall wide receiver that bounces off of corners and has more of a wiggle to his game than most.

He reminds me of that scene in "Enter the Dragon." At the beginning when Bruce Lee is being scouted by the CIA and he's sparring with a monk from some Buddhist order (Shaolin?)...Anyway, when the senior monk comments on Lee's fighting technique as having deep spiritual insight.

Finster and cuchulainn like this.
  13. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Honestly.. a coach can make a huge difference. I keep waiting for our Bruce Arians.

djphinfan and Finster like this.
  14. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
  15. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I want someone like Bruce Lee in Fist of Fury, when he killed that guy with like 5 body blows...

"why did you kill my teacher? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXpZ6j5z9js

16. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I know they're older, but if you told me a couple years ago we'd eventually have a line with Mario Williams, Ndamukong Suh, and Cam Wake, I'd have to change me knickers.

Pandarilla likes this.
  17. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ahhh, you know you are brotha', just like most of us or else you probably wouldn't be typing this stuff. You love it!!

18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well it is Miami I mean all these old guys need to come somewhere to retire lol.... Now if we were fielding a shufflepuck team we would be world camps year in and old!!!!

19. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    It seems like we finally have a guy who knows his s--t and we already know he gets a lot of respect from great players like Manning. It wasn't like that with the others, with the exception of maybe Dick Satan. However, we found out soon enough what that Napoleon complex, Lil' Debbie Cake eating douche was really like as a NFL HC. I think this is different. Who knows? Lay back and enjoy the ride.

20. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Lol, that's Chinese Connection. I think Fists of Fury had my favorite bad guy prop. A water bong pipe that shot Heroin darts out of the pull piece.

Edit, I think I'm wrong, what movie am I thinking of?

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, there is something special in his movement and hand eye coordination, have said that since he was coming out of louisville, and have tried many times to explain it, I called him the ''natural'' before, but you summed it up better.

also, have you really looked at this dudes body, his shoulders, arms, hands?, they are also works of art.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
  23. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I thought it was Chinese connection too, but when I looked it up on youtube it was Fist of Fury.

I have both on DVD, so I might have to watch one of them and see for myself.

EDIT; OK, Fist of Fury is the Chinese Connection, not to be confused with Fists of Fury, which is the Big Boss.

They've changed the titles back to what they were originally supposed to be, just like The Way of The Dragon used to be Return of the Dragon.

Pandarilla likes this.
  24. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    The fiedler years killed me. I used to believe every year we would win the Super Bowl. but it has been a long long time since then

Finster likes this.
  25. Csonka Marino

Csonka Marino Season Ticket Holder

Mar 22, 2013
    Florida
    At some point it will change. I just hope it starts soon.

Finster and dolphin25 like this.
  26. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hang out with me and you'll be optimistic....

27. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I have no doubt, that if I took a trip to Puna to hang out with you and Goranda, I'd be cured :yes:

dolfan7171, Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  28. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Theres reason to be optimistic. The offensive line has been officially rebuilt with the addition of Tunsil, we have a very good receiving core. Our running backs are talented enough. Our pass rush got better, they say our secondary is better. So now all we have left is for Tannehill to do his job and be that elite quarterback everyone here claims he is. No excuses for Tannehill now. Playoffs or bust

Fin-O, Finster and dolphin25 like this.
  29. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I am optimistic because we now have Doughty.

30. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Wait... you like Doughty too?
    :wink2:

dolphin25 likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    man, I'm sure CK will post some work he's been doing once he's done, you will be very excited.

dolphin25 likes this.
  32. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Dude, ck already posted a s--load on him in another thread I made about Doughty. Yes, it was great stuff.

33. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    The only reason for optimism is there is a chance Brady will pull a Manning and his body will let go. And even then we'd probably only be left with about a 20% chance to win the division. And even if we win the division its unlikely we do anything in the playoffs.

Agua likes this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no this is new.

35. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Pffffff

Optimism is highly over rated. Serious, take it from someone who has gone to great lengths to remain grounded in my views on how the team will do.

I mean...I prefer to shrug and expect a .400 season year in and year out. And hey...we get to .500, then its a pleasant surprise right?

dolphin25 likes this.
  36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Full disclosure on Doughty. I liked him starting 2014 when I was watching a lot of Rakeem Cato, whom I really really liked, and then I took a look and saw that there was another quarterback tearing up the Conference USA and sure enough when the two faced off they had an epic battle that ended with no less than 15 touchdowns passes. People couldn't imagine that a legit NFL quarterback prospect would come out of CUSA and I think that several teams in the CUSA have developed such a strong pipeline with Miami area high school players that they are in fact likely to put out some NFL talent.

Doughty and Cato remind me of one another. They both have elite quarterback traits, and they both have potentially fatal flaws. That makes them boom or bust players in the NFL. They are either going to be as wonderful as they were in college or their fatal flaws see them tossed off a cliff without a parachute.

Rakeem Cato's elite trait was his ability to buy time with his legs, see the field, pick out the open man and get it to him. The things he could see, the speed with which he could see them, and the full body control and confidence he had to be an athlete and get the ball to the open man, he was a special playmaker. Who does that elite trait remind you of? Simple, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. He had arm strength at the low end of NFL requirements, but a good deep ball. Elite accuracy was not necessarily a trait of his. His fatal flaws were his size and his brain. His height was just under six feet which could have still worked, but he has a super skinny frame that very strongly resists extra weight. He's been told to put on extra weight and he just couldn't do it. He weighed in like 5'11" and 171 lbs. But an even bigger fatal flaw was his brain. Early life trauma and upbringing left a mark on him that is not conducive to being a professional quarterback. He's a GOOD guy, holds himself and his teammates to high standards off the field, but he's a sh-t communicator and he's prone to turning inward and broody. He doesn't keep an even keel on the field, he has to play with strong emotion to get him to his maximum. And his ability to learn complex NFL offenses MAY be in doubt.

Brandon Doughty is from the same area. He (North Broward Prep), Rakeem Cato (Miami Springs) and Teddy Bridgewater (Miami Northwestern). Back in 2009 all three were active in high school (Doughty a senior, Cato and Bridgewater juniors). When I look at him play the elite trait he has is consistent mechanical perfection which leads to virtually unerring accuracy. The work DJ alluded to is I've been trying to get my arms around just how often Doughty misses passes during games. It's actually alarming. I'm not talking about ball placement. I'm talking about how often you threw a ball and it didn't go where you wanted it to, didn't go to a spot where the receiver could catch it. For Doughty that number is only about 5%, sometimes lower, sometimes just a bit higher. And when he does miss it isn't by much.

Consistent mechanical perfection is a skill, an ability, as much as throwing a hot ball that breaks receivers fingers. The World's Strongest Man could lift a Buick with his arms but he probably can't throw an NFL ball, because throwing a great ball isn't about pure strength. It's a technical skill, not a physical attribute. Accuracy is a technical skill as well. When we talk about the quarterback position, we need to get off using physical attributes as the determinants of "ceiling". Most people talk about arm strength, height and speed as the determinants of a player's "ceiling". Arm strength is true to some degree, but as I said it's more a technical skill than a physical attribute. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are among the best to ever play the game. Two of them are tall, one is average (but with a skinny frame) and the other is tiny. Two of them have good athleticism, the other two have terrible athleticism. The only one with an elite arm is Rodgers, and later in his career Peyton went to multiple Super Bowls with a pea shooter for an arm. Coming out of school I'm not sure you'd look at a single one of them and say "this is a high ceiling guy" by those classic measures of a ceiling. And yet their achievements are at the zenith of the position. What does that tell you about the nature of "ceiling"? The quarterback's ceiling is about your mental processing and capacity for consistent technical perfection.

Doughty's capacity for consistent technical perfection is elite level and so, if he also possesses elite mental processing, his ceiling is elite. And when it comes to mental processing, ever since the guy won the job in 2013 with Bobby Petrino as the head coach, that was a noted strength of his. It was the reason he got the job. You could make an argument that you cannot achieve the virtually unerring accuracy I talked about at the FBS level, even the Group of Five level, without strong mental processing abilities in live fire situations. The guy put the ball on the hands of an open receiver 86% of the time when not pressured. That's a real statistic from his 2015 season, and it is astounding. It speaks not only of your true accuracy but of your ability to consistently diagnose the defense and find the open man.

Does Doughty have potentially fatal flaws like I described in Rakeem Cato? Yes. That's why he is boom or bust. He is VERY limited physically with what he can do under a strong rush, like Tom Brady and like Peyton Manning. And like Phil Rivers for that matter, and Matt Schaub. But those are the guys who overcame. Countless guys did not, (e.g. Ryan Mallett, Zach Mettenberger, Sean Mannion, Kyle Orton, Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Nick Foles, T.J. Yates, Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, Mike Glennon, Landry Jones, etc). All of the above had throwing talent and could read defenses and make decisions under fire. They're all backup level players at the NFL level. You could kind of see a Brandon Doughty fitting right into that group physically.

But I do like that mentally Doughty was able to take a look at himself and decide that a guy as skinny as he was in 2013-14 (6'3" and under 200 lbs) just doesn't get high marks for the NFL. Hell, his conference was dominated by Rakeem Cato, and Cato went to the CFL because he can't eclipse 171 lbs. So Doughty gained like 15-20 lbs. He's very self-aware, knows what his strengths and weaknesses are, speaks very explicitly about his accuracy being his strength which is absolutely the truth.

37. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Eh... I think I quit being optimistic that first season we had Jamar Fletcher - 2002 or 3?. Team had #1 league rusher, #1 Defense, #1 sacks, and missed the frickin' playoffs at 11-5? How the hell does that happen? How in the HELL does THAT happen?!?!! Two games missing chip shot field goals of 32 or 34 yards, make either one and we're in playoffs. How does that happen? Team has been jinxed for many years.

dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  38. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

What's the over under on number of people who will walk away from this going... "CK said Doughty is going to be an elite QB"...

ckparrothead likes this.
  39. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    People can read on his post however they want, there are a lot of good things to like about Doughty. Does it translate to the NFL level is all up to him. He has the talent, it does not matter what round you're drafted in when you're in the NFL....

you either seize the opportunity, impress and make a name out of yourself (Brady, Cousins, Tyrod Taylor, Tony Romo, Ryan Fitzpatrick who was picked up at #250).... or you bust (Mettenberger, Mallet).

Quite frankly I am still scratching my head how any quarterback after the first round besides Connor Cook was drafted ahead of Doughty. Dak Prescott and Cardale Jones, if you're a Bills fan on this board, you can quote me, theyre both not going to stick around long and Doughty is much more gifted and talented than both as a prospect.

Gase wanted his own quarterback to mold, and he got a very talented one at a cheap cost.

dolphin25 likes this.
  40. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm kicking myself a little bit for forgetting about Doughty a little bit, prioritizing Goff, Lynch, Cook and Wentz above him and then figuring that I'm not that into the idea of prioritizing anyone else at the QB position which is a bit of a luxury you have when you already have Tannehill and Moore. One trap I fell into was getting turned off by the interceptions at the Shrine game. He had the best week of practice, I saw that with my own eyes. I do tend to expect success at the game itself, and I just kind of saw the picks and forgot about all the passes he completed otherwise. I believe I had him 5th in the class, and now that I have watched him a lot more I believe I should have prioritized him above Connor Cook. If I had seen the PFF data then I may have.

Sceeto likes this.