1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think the Buffalo/Eagles trade could have helped us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I can't help but think how every little thing effects the outcome of the draft. the eagles gave their 28th pick to Buffalo, i wonder how that will effect us. I would have to think that the Bills will use one of their picks on a LT now, they'll probably go with a defensive guy with their other 1st round pick. Now that a LT will be picked by a team that wasn't projected to pick a LT in the 1st round it might make a team that was gonna pick a LT pick another position b/c they're not getting the LT that they wanted.

I also think that this trade will help us in the 2nd round b/c it can be argued that the eagles share similar needs as us and they could have used their 28th pick on someone that we were coveting for one of our 2nd round picks.

I hate the Butterfly Effect! LOL

2. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    actually, i would say that 99% of mock drafts had the eagles picking an LT with one of their first rounders anyway, so your logic is flawed. I honestly don't think this changes the first day at all in that respect. the only thing that changes is that the bills will now have a rookie LT instead of Peters. That's about it.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It may be helpful if the Bills take a Left Tackle at #12 to replace Peters, it would knock Brandon Pettigrew down a bit further, now if Atlanta trades for Tony Gonzalez our chances of having Pettigrew available go even further upwards.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Sorry, but you still have to convince me how this is a good thing again? :shifty:

I do think this helps us in the immediate (Caption Obvious speaking), but down the road, this obviously could play in Buffalo's favorite.

Trying to project who is now picked at 28 is next to impossible IMO. Show me the next time somebody was able to project each and everyone of the first 27 picks?

Larryfinfan likes this.
  5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    mornin' Kenny!

what we can hope is that barfalo fails to fill the LT hole and they waste their newly aquired pick with a bust. No matter, I think for "this" year, it hurt them. IMO, the time needed for TO to be an asset just diminished.

DOLPHAN1 and mullingan like this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We get a Receiver and a Olineman with a number beginning with a 8, it's a win win for us.

I will say, I'm beginning to feel we are really outgunned heading into the draft, the Patriots and the Bills have stockpiled low draft picks and we just have the extra #2.

Cameron Wake pans out we are in better shape but still, the Pats have 3 #2's, the Bills have 2 #1's, Ireland hopefully can pull some late round and UDFA magic again this year.

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Bills may have extra draft picks but they had to trade an All Pro left tackle to get those picks. We could get a lot of picks if we traded Jake Long but that wouldn't make us a better team.

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Now that Philly has their LT, they will likely go either WR or RB. If we have a WR targeted for 25, that could throw a wrench in things and could cause a ripple effect.

9. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Peters is very overrated IMO.

10. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    this was one of the things i was getting at. now philly doesn't have that pick at 28 so if they originally planned on getting a WR at 28, that will make that WR slide a little further and that WR might be available in the 2nd round. Does philly have another pick before us?

11. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    it helps us in this way as well... i would have to think that before the trade, the Bills were gonna take the best available LB/DE with pick 11, now they have to use that pick to replace Peters with the best available LT b/c there won't be a LT worth taking at 28. The makes all the LB/DE types slide a little further down so if we decide to pick a defensive player, there might be a better one available at 25.

12. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Peters sure didn't look the part last year.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    IMO, Buffalo got rid of a prima donna left tackle with a **** work ethic, and got some nice picks in return. We can only hope they miss on those picks!

Eop05 and cnc66 like this.
  14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The philly side may not help us b/c I think it increases the chances that they'll take a WR at #21.

Buffalo losing Peters is good for us. He battled injuries last year but was a legit pro bowl player for half of last season and the whole year before that. Their line has been decimated this off-season. I expect them to have trouble protecting Edwards and for TO to start complaining early and often.

cnc66 and RickyNeverInhaled like this.
  15. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

they have pick #21.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its difficult to do so when you miss training camp, other team activities and then go down with an injury. I think a lot of people are basing him off of last year alone and that's tough to do because he didn't get paid so he tanked it. He deserves a new deal and he'll get one in Philadelphia. He's still a hella good LT.

texanphinatic likes this.
  17. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i didn't realize that philly had another pick at 21. thanks. that sucks. I'm sure they'll pick the best available WR. That's fine with me b/c i want the best available CB but i might think twice depending on which WR is available at 25. But now that philly is gonna get a WR it downgrades the WR that will be available at 25.

18. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    But part of what makes a player great is work ethic and commitment to his team and teammates. Peters was embroiled in a contract dispute, he missed alot of time and let it effect his play, as you say he tanked it because he wasn't getting paid. That isn't the type of player I would want on the team and I don't think that you can classify that type of player as "the best". :wink2:

cnc66 likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Theres a difference in talent and character. His character was not very good last year because he wasn't getting what he wanted & he should have gotten a new deal. He deserved one because he worked his tail off and got a lot better. His talent is still there; he hasn't declined any IMO.

20. anlgp

it's a shame too because Thomas (their old LT) was exactly that type of person. Team first, shows up to all the OTAs, etc. and he was let go due to age. The jags snapped him up and signed him for a 3 year deal I believe.

If the eagles weren't so much about business - i agree it is needed - and a little more about showing vets that they care about their presence then they could have had him for 3 more years, too.

Him and Dawk going in one year is BS IMO. Show the vets the $ they've poured their heart soul and time into the team.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Buffalo kind of screwed him over. They negotiated his contract based on him being a RT, then put him at LT and he excelled. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to want to be paid commensurate with his position. Like in every negotiation, I'm sure both sides could have handled it better, but if as was reported Buffalo said 'too bad we won't re-negotiate' then his demands were IMO reasonable.

22. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    A motivated Peters is no question a top 5 LT in this league. He tanked last year, pure and simple, because the Bills didnt want to pay him.
    Character aside, the Bills OL was bad enough already, and now they lose a premiere talent. I dont think Smith or Oher or Britton or Beatty will be as good as Peters could be. Last year was not a winner for him, but there were reasons why. The Bills didnt want to pay him and so he quit on them and forced a trade. Im not sticking up for his character, but the Bills are notorious for not paying their players. Fred Jackson atm is asking for money and Bills are stonewalling him.
    I think Peters went overboard in his protest and his play suffered, but had the bills given him a contract he would have come out and dominated defenders all year. Now they not only need to fix the rest of their line, but replace an all pro as well.

The Eagles are taking Pettigrew at 25 if hes around.

23. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I have to disagree. Peters gave up 11 sacks this year. Most in the league.

I'd go out on the limb and say there are at least 15 other OT that I'd rather have on my team (Jake certainly being one of them).

So what I'm trying to say is that IMO, Buffalo unloaded a guy in the bottom half of the league at his position for a first and a third round draft pick. I'd say they made out pretty well.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If they paid him the money he deserves, do you honestly think he would have given up 11 sacks?

texanphinatic likes this.
  25. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    that's what's wrong with this world. i work my butt off at work to get my raises. he should do the same.

lohink likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He did and then they didn't give it to him so he tanked it. It was probably a crappy thing to do to your teammates like Trent Edwards who got killed this past season but he got what he wanted, out of Buffalo and he's likely to get a good deal in Philadelphia.

27. anlgp

I don't know that football players deserve the money that they get for playing but they should be paid fairly to their position. What fair is seems debatable. The guaranteed money those guys get alone could put that many families on easy street.

I guess that's off topic though...

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Unless he put a stack of 100 dollar bills inbetween himself and the path to the Qb.."yes".

It's an odd thought that because Peters wasn't paid what he thought he was worth, he would do a poor job to make sure next year they paid him more.

This may "hurt" us in the sense the Bills might upgrade the position from Peter's 11 sacks given up.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doubt that.

30. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    But why did he deserve that money? Because he exceeded his initial contract value in his first 2 seasons?

What he should've done was just play his butt off until his current contract expires and cash in big time with new huge deal.

Now if he has a bad season this upcoming year, that'll be 2 bad years in a row and he'll be lucky if he gets a decent deal.

RickyNeverInhaled and late again like this.
  31. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Peters (and/or J. Porter) was the reason we whooped Buffalo up the first game. Switch him out of there and I'm not so sure Porter gets to Edwards as easily as he was.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe he didn't want to be there? I don't know his reasoning other than he wanted a new deal and did not get it despite deserving it because of his play over the last two years. He was getting paid something like three million a year I believe.

I don't know about that, I think if anything, Porter could have had more success there.

33. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    that's what i'm talking about. but i guess that makes too much sense. i bet he was happy when he first got his deal. you can't just say i'm worth more money in the middle of your contract, you should play your contract out and get a better deal after your first contract is played out.

34. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    what if i signed a contract for you to pay me a certain amount of money to cut your grass for a couple of years. After one year i say, you know what i'm really better than anyone else at cutting grass and i feel like i deserve more money, until you pay me more money i'll just cut half your grass.

35. anlgp

i fire you and hire a new grass cutter that cuts the yard with less *****ing

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I fire you and hire another one for a cheaper price. Same thing the Bills have done here, they shipped off a player that they didn't want to pay and received a draft choice to fill his spot.

37. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    fire me all you want.. but you will still pay me my dough

38. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    my point exactly. aren't you the one taking up for Peters?

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yep. Grass cutters are easily replaced, Left Tackle's are not. Two completely different things. If you compared your grass cutter to a running back - say Ronnie Brown asking for a lot of money - I'd ship him off. You know why? He's easily replaced. :wink2:

40. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    you would never see Ronnie Brown playing half hearted b/c he's not making the amount of money he thinks he's worth. If Ronnie acted like that he would be gone with the wind!