1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to learn how to make iPhone/iPad apps...

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Fin D, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ...but I have no idea where to begin. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm presently an Art Director/Graphic/Web Designer. Outside of HTML and a little bit of Flash Actionscript I'm code noob.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You need to know Objective-C. That's Apple's preferred programming language for, well, everything on iPhone OS going forward. They're also mandating that developers use approved programming environments, so this is a good time to get familiar with Xcode. Once you know Objective-C and are comfortable working within Xcode, you can get an iPhone SDK and poke around. There are quite a few APIs to get familiar with, like Cocoa Touch.

Apple's developer center is a good place to start, but in general, it assumes you already know what you're doing from a programming standpoint. There are a couple start-from-scratch articles, but I can't vouch for their quality.

I'm getting royalties for this, right? :shifty:

Fin D likes this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Objective C using smalltalk messaging. Interesting I might try this....

4. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    desides, are you in the cellular industry or something? you seem to know an awful lot of specifics and you are supposedly only 25. you were quite helpful in my thread about getting a phone.thanks for that btw.

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im sure theres an app for learning how to make apps................

Fin D likes this.
  6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm just a nerd. :lol:

Hope you're enjoying the Nexus One.

7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Fin D, some news for you. There's a rumor that on Monday at WWDC, Apple will release a new version of Xcode. If you're still serious about iPhone apps, you'll want to keep a close eye on the Stevenote.

Fin D likes this.