1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish Rex Ryan was our head coach...

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    There, I said it. Yeah I hate the Jets. And yeah, I hate him because he's the head coach of the Jets. But deep down in places I don't like to talk about, I know I would love it if he were our coach.

As I get more and more tired of Tony Sparano's cheerleading, and tough guy jersey jargon, same old motivational speeches, same tired pressers, same overuse of the phrase "that way", I wonder what might have been had we hired Rex Ryan instead of raiding the Cowboys because it was easier and Parcells wanted someone he could puppeteer.

Well now Parcells has bailed on us and we're left with Sparano. A guy who seems to take a step backwards every season. A guy who can't seem to win without Chad Pennington in the huddle.

Knee jerk reaction? Maybe. But I look at Rex Ryan and know I would love his nonsense if he was doing it for our team. And you can't argue with the results.

I still hope the Jets lose their last 5 and miss the playoffs.

/End Rant.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    sadly, i agree.

3. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Parcells interviewed Rex Ryan and Leslie Frazier for this job before hiring sparano who was the obvious guy at the beginning.

I would've rather had either guy we turned down.

SICK likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It would definately be interesting to wonder about the differences in this team today if Ryan was here. However, Rob Ryan is still out and about. Many thought he would land a HC job before Rex if I'm not mistaken. I'd be willing to be Rob Ryan may end up with a coaching job after this season, of course, thats if theres football next season. Rex is an ***, but he's a great motivator no doubt.

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No idea if Rob Ryan would make a good head coach or not, but boy would that make for an interesting Jet's vs. Dolphins rivalry...

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...and I agree...

...excuse me...

:jump:

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...No. He'd be Rex, minus the winning / defense.

8. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    You are forgetting that we would of probably still have henning here. While things might be a little different, we would probably still be calling out for one of those heads.

Ireland gets his shot now in getting the right coaches & players for this team w/o BP leaning over his shoulder.

9. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    This. Rex surrounded himself with good coaching staff in all 3 phases of the game, and didn't let his ego get in the way when he kept Schotty when Mangini was let go.

If Rex was hired here, I think he may have been stuck with Henning, and we'd be in the same boat, a good defense with a putrid offense.

I am interested to see where his brother ends up next year, and to see if he has the same success. I think if somehow he gets the San Fran job, where they have some talent, he could do quite well.

10. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I have heard many times that Rex had no choice in retaining Schotty. Woody and the old man are close.

11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I can't disagree with this thread. Parcells turned down Rex for Sparano. God I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Culpepper over Brees type situation.

12. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    When I first read the thread title, I wanted to find you and punch you in the face. But the more I think about it, the more I think I might agree.
    Now I want to punch mysef in the face.

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I was ashamed when the thought first crept into my head. It was actually very early on in the season. Someone had mentioned how we passed on Rex for Sparano and I had this feeling. Not the usual hatred I associate with Rex Ryan. But more wondering in amusement what might have been. Would I appreciate his antics? I tried telling myself I wouldn't, but I knew that was a lie. That's when I knew I was a little jealous of the kind of coach the Jets had.

And as the season wore on, I found myself wishing our coach had that kind of passion coupled with COMPETENCY.

Now I know I would love Rex Ryan as our head coach. Ashamed to admit it, but it's true.

Again, I still hate the man as long as he's coaching the Jets.

14. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    He embarrasses the Jests and their fans on a regular basis with his blowhard comments, and reckless-empty promises.

15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Whether his promises turn out to be empty or not remain to be seen.

Last night's game hasn't changed my opinion.

16. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Empty promises he said they were a playoff contending team last year and now they are in it again ,were are the empty promises ?

17. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He still has a great shot at making the playoffs. As a matter of fact they can clinch a berth as soon as this weekend if the right things happen. I'd take that anytime. Let's just cross our fingers that the Jets collapse and Miami wins 10 games and gets in somehow.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend muscle979:
    lets keep our fingers crossed

19. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    He said they were the best team in the NFL. Said they have the best defense, best o-line, and are the "soon to be champs."

None of which is true. He talks a lot, but doesn't back it up.

Should be embarrassed to wish for this guy. I'll bet he doesn't make a single peep about the snake who gave Carroll that cheap shot.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Embarrassed? I stand by the statement. Mike Nolan had more to do with today's victory than Tony Sparano. Henning and company still suck wind and Sparano apparently still supports Henning. Rex Ryan's team will probably still make the playoffs, and Sparano will most likely come up short again.

Believe me, I hope to be dead wrong on both accounts.

^Still hope this happens.

21. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    going down with the ship huh?

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Going down with the ship? Not really. I'd love nothing more for Tony Sparano to end up being the more successful of the two coaches by the time it's all said and done with, but my gut still tells me Rex Ryan is the better coach. The fact that he has won 9 games with Sanchez as his QB speaks volumes, IMO.

Speaking of going down with the ship, I see you running around all over this forum today using a DEFENSIVE victory to justify all the defending you have been doing of our offense lately. Chad Henne, Dan Henning, etc. Mike Nolan's defense got us the win today, and there is still no defense for the play of our offense.

I'm just as happy as you are that we beat the Jets today. Doesn't change the fact that we probably are staying home come playoff time and those ****heads from New York will probably be in.

Come see me at the end of the regular season. If we sneak in and the Jets have an epic fail to miss the playoffs, I'll happily eat a hearty portion of crow.

23. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i was just having fun with you. i like rex. he would be a fun coach to have. having said that i dont see much difference between him and sparano. they have the same model for building a team, strong running game, strong defense. they are both stuck with young QBs who are holding their teams back. i actually like sparano's approach a bit more since i think he's a more serious coach.

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You can have Rex Ryan. As bad as everyone thinks Sparano is. The fact is that the Dolphins are 3-1 against the Jets during the last two years while Sparano and Ryan have coached against one another.
    Ryan is just like his father was. He is a great defensive coordinator with a big mouth who tends to brag too much. He has put the pressure on his team by all his talking and now it appears he will end up eating those words. As much as I question Sparano on occasion. I would take him over Ryan any day of the week. If you put Sparano as the head coach of the Jets. They would be a much better team than the Jets are under Ryan. The Dolphins do not have as much talent on their team as the Jets, but Sparano has them prepared to compete hard every week.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Love or hate Rex Ryan, today is a perfect example of why the Jets are far better off than us when it comes to coaching. They have two tough losses, and had to go into a hostile environment against one of the best teams in the league and come away with a win. We had to play one of the worst teams in the league with our playoff hopes on the line and came away with a loss. It's coaching. We don't have it. The Jets do.

26. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Whether you think Fat Rex is a good coach overall or not he is clearly better than Tony Sparano. I realize he hasn't had a lot of luck head to head but I think the overall body of work is more important.

27. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Do you seriously believe that? Do you still believe it now?

28. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Everything wrong with this season compounded into this thread.

29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sorry to necro and old thread. But I found myself thinking this again when I watched the Bills post game locker room speech. Back in 2010 I thought Rex was better than Sparano and now 5 years later I think Rex is a lot better than Philbin.

30. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yep. Our idiot owner blew a shot a coaching upgrade last offseason for the sake of continuity. He's got his 8-8 continuity I guess.