If Christopher Columbus was Adolph Hitler....
12 replies
Then Bartolomé de las Casas was Oskar Schindler

I think that this part at the end of the site was equally important
A very important note about Bartolomé de las Casas and the African slave trade
This issue keeps coming up and, despite my footnotes, I keep seeing commentary about it so I'm going to address it here.
Initially, Bartolomé de las Casas advocated the use of African slaves instead of native labor. In the first few years after he renounced his land and title, his initial cause was to end the suffering of the natives, rather than seeking an end to the institution of slavery itself, and so this became his deplorable rationale for the endorsement of African slavery. Bartolomé de las Casas eventually retracted those views, however, and came to see all forms of slavery as being equally wrong. In The History of the Indies published in 1527, he wrote the following:I soon repented and judged myself guilty of ignorance. I came to realize that black slavery was as unjust as Indian slavery...
and I was not sure that my ignorance and good faith would secure me in the eyes of God.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
I like the oatmeal cartoons. HOwever, he pissed me off with his tesla vs edison cartoon lol Hard for me to take much of what he says seriously anymore.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"unluckyluciano wrote:
I like the oatmeal cartoons. HOwever, he pissed me off with his tesla vs edison cartoon lol Hard for me to take much of what he says seriously anymore.
What were the inaccuracies? (Not arguing, I honestly don't know.)
"Fin D wrote:
What were the inaccuracies? (Not arguing, I honestly don't know.)
Not sure if he has any inaccuracies. I do think his narrative seemed to paint edison as an over the top devil and tesla as some sort of saint. In other words it comes off as rhetoric rather then completely honest.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"unluckyluciano wrote:
Not sure if he has any inaccuracies. I do think his narrative seemed to paint edison as an over the top devil and tesla as some sort of saint. In other words it comes off as rhetoric rather then completely honest.
Hypothetically, if the facts he listed were true, then is it rhetoric? Again, I don't really know, I've heard both sides in the past.
"Fin D wrote:
Hypothetically, if the facts he listed were true, then is it rhetoric? Again, I don't really know, I've heard both sides in the past.
you can paint facts in other lights. So, yes it can be rhetoric.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I haven't fact checked all of this article but it seems straight up so far:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/05/18/nikola-tesla-wasnt-god-and-thomas-edison-wasnt-the-devil/
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I spent a great deal of time around both of Edison's homes in NJ and FL so hearing about him was common. By most accounts he was an extremely intense and somewhat humorless individual who engendered either great loyalty or intense dislike. It is not a coincidence that he should be a hard subject for biographies and "factual" accounts. Likewise Tesla was something of an extreme eccentric. Both had egos as large as their IQ's. The battle between which should deserve credit for what will never end or be "solved" in my opinion.
As to the original point of this particular thread, I am less willing to demonize Columbus than some other students of the period. He was a rich combination of saint and sinner. Having said that de las Casas was indeed a remarkable figure and very much a man who was capable of seeing right and wrong in terms that were not as controlled by the societal norms of his time than others. William Wilberforce was another of those extraordinary people.
OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.
"Ohiophinphan wrote:
I spent a great deal of time around both of Edison's homes in NJ and FL so hearing about him was common. By most accounts he was an extremely intense and somewhat humorless individual who engendered either great loyalty or intense dislike. It is not a coincidence that he should be a hard subject for biographies and "factual" accounts. Likewise Tesla was something of an extreme eccentric. Both had egos as large as their IQ's. The battle between which should deserve credit for what will never end or be "solved" in my opinion.
As to the original point of this particular thread, I am less willing to demonize Columbus than some other students of the period. He was a rich combination of saint and sinner. Having said that de las Casas was indeed a remarkable figure and very much a man who was capable of seeing right and wrong in terms that were not as controlled by the societal norms of his time than others. William Wilberforce was another of those extraordinary people.
amen
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I think the Oatmeal is hilarious. I don't really delve too much into Tesla / Edison and this kind of stuff. I more go for the bobcats, grammar, and any personal story he has. His house burned down when he was a kid and he made it a very humorous story, and he enjoys running and has a few cartoons about that, as well. Also, the pterodactyl song.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
yeah I like him too. I just think in terms of some of his science and history its a bit hard for me to not second guest what he's saying.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." Christopher Dawson
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." G. K. Chesterton

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

What if Martha Stewart?
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.