If Marino Signed With the jets....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Jun 22, 2009.

1. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Too bad it didn't. :shifty:

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    It's funny, they say the same thing about Miami fans that come to games up here?

:confused2:

3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Depends what you mean by loud? If you mean loud at games, they are loud and really into the game. I have been to about 12 games in Miami and never once has the crowd come close to being as loud at it is at Jet games.

I think the Fins crowd are more laid back.

Now I have only been to about 12 games in Miami, so that's a small portion to compare with.

But I was also at a Fins game in Tampa and had loud obnoxious Fins fans sitting next to use. One was so drunk he couldn't stand. They all got thrown out, in fact they tried to throw my wife and I out with them because we had Fins Jerseys on, but Buc fans behind us said we were not with them.

Every team has there share of jerks that talk trash.

4. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Yeah....... Whatever......

Go to a full season of games here in Miami.
    When your'e done and looking back you'll have one game memory stand out where the fans were absolute low life jackarses and that's the Jet game unless Philly was in town.

They are consistent in their behavior.

When one game every year is marred by much more fights than any other game that comes in every year you can figure out what the evil variable is.
    It's not the Phins fan base there aren't near the same amount of altercations during any other games.
    The Miami fan base has never had the a rep of overboard bad behavior. We have our drunks idiots like any city but others like NY and Philly have their widely held bad reps for a reason.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You're right every team has their share of obnoxious fans, but New Yorkers have a reputation for being in a class by themselves. And while reputations may or may not be deserved, I have seen very little that would make me dismiss that reputation as undeserved.

As for your question, while game behavior was part of it, I think our conversation was more reflective of the NY fans you came across through daily living in S. FL.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The post you quoted was a direct response to somebody else, but the general point is that most years the Jets are inconsequential. I don't tend to spend much time thinking about or hating things that I see as inconsequential.

7. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Aside from the fact that this game consistently ranks as one of the top ten rivalries IN THE GAME, the point you are attempting to make about "inconsequential" is ridiculous.

consequence -
    1: a conclusion derived through logic : inference
    2: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions
    3 importance with respect to power to produce an effect
    4: the appearance of importance ; especially : self-importance

Considering that we have played them twice a year since what would seem to be the beginning of time, they have real consequence.

Jets Wins - 46
    Dolphins Wins - 39

Considering we have at least 12 more victories versus any other division foe (including almost doubling the win total versus the Colts) the matchup versus the Jets has had REAL consequence. Research the years that this team has missed the playoffs by one game. Cross reference that list by the losses to the Jets. You should then realize the real consequence of disregarding this great division rivalry.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  8. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Hell froze over and I missed it WTF? Damn global warming!

9. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

But This New Yorker screams two miles that he bleeds Teal!!:knucks:

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If the goal is to make the playoff and win a Super Bowl, which most every player and coach will tell you it is, then the things of consequence are the ones that affect those goals. The Jets rarely do. They have never knocked us out of the playoffs and they rarely are the deciding factor as to whether or not we get in. To my recollection it has happened twice, once in the 80s and once in the 90s. Therefore they are usually inconsequential. Their long run of victories have come when we've been bad. They got the first 8 against us before we had Shula. We were a bad team and weren't making the playoffs no matter what. They had another long streak in the late 70s and early 80s but despite losing to the Jets we still made the playoffs every year but 1980 where we were a mediocre team. They had another run from 98 through 01, but again we made the playoffs every single year. Then they had their last run during our most recent playoff drought where we weren't close to making the playoffs. Basically they beat us when we're bad and we wouldn't have made the playoffs anyways or they steal some when we're good and we make the playoffs anyways. What we do against the Jets just doesn't matter in the big picture very often.

11. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    It still affected us pretty badly because a game or two our way in those years and suddenly we have home field advantage and debacles like at Denver, at Jacksonville, at Oakland don't happen or are less likely to happen in our house.

The fact is that those SOBs have tripped us up more than we'd like in the recent past and from the looks of it payback is comming BIG TIME, starting with the end of last season (which if not for a fluke pass would've started at the begining of last season).

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You can say that about any loss most any year. The Jets games just haven't been particularly meaningful in regards to our seasons. And when they have been meaningful, like the AFC Championship game, we won.

The Jets games have been exciting and there have been memorable plays, but for some reason there have been very few of those end of the year battles for the division (I think they've only won the division twice since the merger) or to get in the playoffs. And of course there's only been the one playoff game. The Jets just haven't been a very successful franchise and when it comes to December and the playoff intensity grows they quite often become an after-thought. Or at most a game that's about as important as any other (there are some divisional tie-breakers, but they haven't come into play often).

I guess its just been luck but most of the Jets games haven't been all that meaningful for our seasons, at least no more meaningful than the half-a-dozen or so other losses we had those same years. That's why I didn't have any more rancor towards the Jets than I do for any other team that we've lost to.