1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If not pennington then who ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finserg, Sep 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    C. Pennington had one bad game, if things were to continue to go down hill like most jet fan say: Quote: he can never put two good years who would you throw in ? White or Henne

I for one would think its a tough call, Henne already must be mad at being dropped from 2 string to 3rd .

So i would start Henne, and throw in white for some wildcat plays :hi5:

Go Dolphins !

2. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not the one to usually go crazy after one game, but Pennington was very bad today. His dink and dunk stuff is not as effective last year. It didnt work today on a very average defense. We will be playing alot better defenses than the one we played today. If this poor play continues I want to see Henne because I have seen enough out of him the past 2 preseasons and his only game exp last season. I think we should open up the next game giving the ball to Ronnie early and often. I dont understand why He doesnt get many calls his way. He outplayed Turner today.

3. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Which one of Ted Ginn's family members plays QB?

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the problem is not Pennington

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't see how anyone could put the blame on Chad. Who was he supposed to throw the ball to from his back?

6. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    There were definitely plays that Pennington could have made a play but did not. He's a veteran quarterback and should be able to handle these situations. I most definitely don't want him replaced, rather I'd like the oline not to put him in that situation to begin with.

As for the original thread topic, I'd say Henne.

gunn34 likes this.
  7. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I can see your point fins...

But we all know that Henne likes to hold on to the ball...

with the way our OL is playing, he would not help us any better...IMO

8. DarkLadyJets

DarkLadyJets Sanchez FTW!

Aug 27, 2009
    New York, NY
    Take it from a JET fan, Pennington will break your hearts. He's god awful especially after having a big year. The guy is highly inconsistent. Your best bet is to put Henne in, and make the future now.

9. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I agree with playing Henne. At least he has the arm to try to attack deep and keep defenses somewhat honest. Pennington was highly disappointing today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    There is plenty of blame to pass around for this loss.
    Two questions come to mind:
    1. How much blame should Dan Henning get?
    2. I like Pennington, but if the offense continues to struggle in the next couple of games do you go ahead and insert Henne so we can find out if he is the future in Miami?

11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Henning is starting to remind me of Mike Mularkey...
    Posted via Mobile Device

fins4o8 likes this.
  12. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    A starting QB MUST be able to make all of the throws in this league.

If Pennington cant or wont make the throws needed to win in games like these (todays game and last years Baltimore game) then he needs to sit.

With that said, I dont see them sitting CP unless we go 0-5.

13. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I agree its not all chads fault but he did not play good at all.

14. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    You mean the OC who's team beat us today? :sad:

When I saw that dude calling the plays for ATL it stung just a little more to lose today.

opfinistic likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the problem was neither Pennington nor Henning
    the problem was the offensive line
    no NFL starting QB would have been successful playing behind this line
    it's just about that simple :yes:

16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Touche. Why is it that guys suck for us, but are good elsewhere? Mularkey, Cameron...
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Yeah no way was it all his fault.

But he had time to throw it at times and you could see him just stand there hesitating....indecisive...

You knew in your head he was going to get blasted the way he was going....and he did.

Remember, our OLine gets tired as well and if he's taking a year to throw the ball eventually someone will break through and on the next down it will be harder for our guys to muster the strength needed to hold their blocks for as long as Pennington is making them hold it.

18. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    We hear that an awful lot from Jet fans, ironically we used to say the same thing about him when he played for you guys. I don't think today was all Chad's fault, regardless with who we had in there the OL just couldn't keep the Atlanta D in check. All of that money into the OL and these are the results folks, focus your frustration towards the proper culprits.

Now if the OL had been able to do their job, maybe Chad would have been able to get into a rhythm, but we still have to face the reality that he has his limitations and guys like Ginn are going to be held back. I don't know if Henne is ready to step up, I think it's too early to call for that, I definitely don't think that White is going to be of any use, lets just hope that the OL wakes up or gets their butt kicked this week or else we're in for a long season.

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Chad played a bad game. But he didn't get any help with costly fumbles and poor offensive line play. Chad has to play better and has get the ball down the field. He doesn't have to throw 50 yard bombs but he at least has to throw some intermediary throws 20 - 30 yards. He didn't do that today at all. Maybe once or twice.

That being said, IMO, it won't be time to go with Henne unless Chad P. is injured or we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Chad is a competitor and will hopefully bounce back from this very bad performance.

20. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I disagree.

The Oline did not play well but Pennington got time to make throws but he didn't make them.

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the pass protection was inconsistent from the first snap & eventually broke down completely
    we're lucky Pennington escaped without injury. :omg:
    it all begins in the trenches & that's where we lost the game

dolphindebby and FinSane like this.
  22. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Chad didn't have his best game, but neither did the offense as a whole. The OLine was aweful, WRs and TEs couldn't get open and when they did, they fumbled, other then a few nice runs, RBs didn't do much either. Its not just Chad's fault on this one.

dolphindebby, anlgp and FinSane like this.
  23. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I'd be willing to overlook one game...but this game is the second in a row, counting the Ravens game. This is starting to concern me.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    let's pretend that
    Chad Henne or even Dan Marino started against the Falcons today
    same offensive line, same game, receivers, whatever
    what would be the results?

in Marino's case, would his arm & charm had made a difference?
    doubt it very much. would have had the same result working
    behind an offensive line that had not come into their own & was playing terribly.

in Hennes case, we might now be looking @ the next Beck
    after being utterly destroyed by the Falcons with no where to hide
    & no offensive line protection

25. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Yes. He had a very quick release and the 3-4 seconds of protection Penny was given would have been plenty for him to burn the Falcons to wide-open WRs, such as Ginn.

26. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apart from the horrible INT, Pennington played pretty well. Comparisons to the Ravens game are out of line IMO.

He is what he is -- his upside is limited. People who have their heart broken by him, as our Jet visitor put it, are simply failing to assess him properly in the first place. But he wasn't the problem today. It was the Minnow-5, or whatever we're supposed to call them now. Especially our "franchise" left tackle.

He had a very quick release and the 3-4 seconds of protection Penny was given would have been plenty for him to burn the Falcons to wide-open WRs, such as Ginn.

You might want to check your stopwatch, champ.

27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't know what game you watched, but I didn't see too many 4 second pass protection moments in that game & the flip side is finding 3-4 second open receivers. for the most part it didn't happen. when it did happen,how many times was the ball dropped or fumbled?

Marino was a pocket QB w/ an incredibly quick release. he always depended on protection from his offensive line. he would not have had a winning day with this group in front of him & passing to these receivers. I guarantee it.

28. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I was curious, so I ran back the DVR to a couple of the sacks and was able to count 4 seconds before he was touched by the defenders.
    And I didn't see too many drops. There were two fumbles by receivers---actually they were both by Fasano. The other fumble was by Penny himself.

29. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008

Marino doesn't fumble that ball, and probably doesn't throw that INT to Petersen. If he did attempt that pass, there would be so much zip on it that Petersen would have to make a very good catch.

I'm not sure how Henne would have handled today's game. I want to believe that he wouldn't have been as hesitant as Penny. I saw some god awful decisions from CP today that just has me worried. (the absolute worst IMO was the 3rd down play on our last drive when the he stepped up and was worried that he would be caught from behind, he just dumped it right into the field without even looking at a guy to throw it to....complete lack of guts right there) Combine that with my last memory of his play vs Baltimore, and color me very concerned.

30. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think there's plenty of blame to go around. O-line played sub par as far as pass protection goes, but actually did fairly well as far as run blocking goes (4.4 avg. yards per carry). Penny looked hesitant and gun shy at times IMO. I couldn't see what was going on down field, so I don't know how well his receivers might have been covered. But, they had better have been blanketed the way he held on to the football in the pocket at times. Turn overs killed us. And, our secondary is a work in progress. I also question our play calling. Two consecutive run plays to our fullback?

On the bright side, I think our front four played exceptionally well. Ricky ran strong. And, Bess made some clutch catches.

Look, it's only one game, I know. But, the fact is we are a team in rebuilding mode. Momma said there would be days like this. So, it certainly be interesting to see how well these guys bounce back and perform next week, at home and on national TV.

31. keypusher

Nov 29, 2007
    A little realism is in order. Esp. by the end of his career Marino was a fumble machine. He would have fumbled more than once today.

Agree with you re Pennington throwing the ball into the ground that time. Also agree re the INT to Peterson.

Still and all, if you are looking for problems today, you start with 77, then 72, then 65, 66 and 64. Then you get to 10.

32. keypusher

Nov 29, 2007
    Sorry, Rick, but that's just BS. Pennington was sacked four times. On the three over Long, Pennington had nowhere near 4 seconds. Not sure about the other one.

33. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Yes, he did on at least two of them. There were also several downs where he wound up trying to run forward or wound up throwing the ball away where he had plenty of time and open receivers down the field.

34. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Its simple. IF Penny is benched, or hurt at some point, Henne becomes the starter, White is second string and in the game often for wildcat plays, and we find a developmental prospect or whatever you want to call it for third string.

35. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    He did not play well. Before the final drive, which was basically just him padding his stats, he was 14-19 for 105 yards and an INT. Those are not good stats.

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He did hold onto the ball too long when he actually had protection.
    we wont stick in Henne now, hell no.

37. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Did he look scare or was it the shots i took when i lost my mind ?

38. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Sorry but he had some time on some plays,not all but most....:hi5:

39. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    marino would have won that game going away. matt ryan faced the same pressure all day and still was able to generate some points on a bad day. thats what winners do.

40. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I have heard many, many people (on message boards and even in the media) that either this is "Parcells' 3-year rebuilding plan," or "they aren't ready to be contenders this year, but watch out in 2010!"

If this is the truth, do we honestly feel an older Pennington is the answer to lead our team all the way? Some of us maybe do? After his past two games, I have some serious, serious doubts, that's for sure.

But, if that's the case...how can we just throw Henne out there next year, in a year we should contend? We need to see what he has now, IMO. Why wait? So we can have a very good 2010 team, being led by an inexperienced quarterback?

I'm really worried that neither Pennington or Henne are the answer...then what? Sure, teams have won Super Bowls with mediocre qb's. But, why put ourselves through that? The Dolphins are always missing one key component. With Marino, there was no D or running game...then the defense was awesome and we had a great running game, and we had no QB. Can we ever just put all the pieces together?