1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Tannehill is there at #8, do you take him? Even if Richardson or Blackmon Slips?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    No way do I take Tannehill at 8.
    Not a fan of taking an unpolished project at QB that high. Huge "potential" or not.

I'm taking a player with a higher potential to be an impact player at the NFL level at 8 or trading down and reassessing.

I'd love to end up with Keuchly or Ingram in the first and then a trade up attempt to nab Weeden.

2. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Don't agree.
    Brady's play seriously degrades when pressured.
    I am one that believes Brady isn't the same Brady without Belichick and that OL he's had.
    Rogers, Brees, Peyton Manning (prior to injury) I agree, they could succeed regardless.

3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No way we take him at #8 If anything I see us trading out of the #8 back a few and getting another 2 or 3 and living with Moore this year.

4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No Way do I take Blackmon at 8 either.

Blackmon has more bust on him b/c his size/speed are average. He is not a dominant Megatron type. And, he's no Moss deep threat.

Evan Silva actually has us taking Blackmon and the Chiefs taking Tannehill at #11 (a good move for them). The problem with this scenario is you then have 30 picks in which a team at some point may try to move up to get Weeden.

If we stay put and take a player other than Tannehill that nearly rules out Weeden, imo. Which - then slots us down to what I believe is a 4th Tier of QB talent.

I'd put the QB talent tiers like this:

1. Luck (class by himself. Everyone loves RGIII but I don't think he's in Luck's class at this point).
    - - - - -
    2. RGIII (2nd best QB but not in that pure, Elway/Manning category, imo. I'd make him #1 if Luck weren't in this draft, but it would be riskier, imo).
    - - - - -
    3. Weeden & Tannehill (Tannehill is not as experienced or polished but has some tools better than Weeden; Weeden has some very good qualities though). But, both of these are technically end of 1st / beginning of 2nd talent level. That said, if there's a chance they can be a top QB there is a sense in which one has to reach a bit for either.
    - - - - -
    4. Several guys at this point and, personally, this is what I would describe as a "game manager or bust" category. Don't think they'll find a top tier, SB quality QB here. Best they might find is a "game manager" if the top 4 QB's are gone by the time they draft in round 2. I simply do not like Osweiler. If we are drafting a kid from this pack, we can "pack it in" for finding a QB for the future this year. And, that would be a major disappointment for me relative to Ireland.

Here is what Evan Silva wrote in his Mock yesterday:

I think these observations are spot on. But, the Dolphins need more than a "double" with this one. However, if they got Weeden, I could handle this pick. I still, however, would rather trade down than draft Blackmon or another player in this stage. I see Blackmon, personally, as a mid-round talent based on his size/speed; it's a lot easier to dominate middling CB's on bad defenses (of which the Big 12 is notorious) with a 6'1, 207 lb body that runs 4.5 40's than it will be in the NFL.

Staying put, imo, simply hurts. Trade down. And, if somehow, KC doesn't take Tannehill (though I think they will - and so do Silva and others), he could fall significantly. Trade down, get some picks that could be used in a trade up in round 2 to land Weeden; and, if Tannehill drops past KC, try to drop to 20 and draft him; then use those extra picks. That would be great luck and a great move, imo. But, that means it's not going to happen, I'm sure. Never does. The one time we made a very good trade down move, imo, when we dropped and got Odrick, we blew it with the 2nd round pick. Got a utility infielder (Misi) when there was a power hitting 3B on the board (Gronk).

5. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I'm not sold on Blackmon either. I am on Russell Wilson though.

The only way maybe, just maybe I could get on board with Blackmon is if he came packaged with Brandon Weeden. Chances of that? Miniscule.

6. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    No. I still take DeCastro.