1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If the Dolphins don't add a "big name" receiver via free agency or trade...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Mar 9, 2013.

If the Dolphins don't add a "big name" receiver before draft, is that a failure?

1. Yes

28.2%
  2. No

71.8%
  1. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

That philosophy only works for elite quarterbacks. Guys like Brees and Brady have won it all with a cast of scrubs (yes, Marques Colston is a scrub; the absolute most overrated receiver in the league....I digress).

The simple fact that not every team consistently moves the chains, despite a large number of targets, good targets in some cases, is proof enough that you need more than bodies.

Had Tannehill ascended to an elite level in his rookie year, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, because he would've thrown for 4,500 yards, split between our current cast. He didn't though, and that's ok, because he's still developing. The fact now is, both he and the receiving talent are holding each other back to some degree. At this point in Ryan's development, I think it's imperative that we get 1-2 highly talented receiver(s) to help him out. The more and more Ryan gets better, the less and less important receiver quality becomes. At that point, we let Mike Wallace or Cordarrelle Patterson, or whomever walk, and we bring in the 2016 version of Brandon Gibson... maybe Mohamed Sanu

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Making unfounded ridiculous statements like that throws your entire premise out the window IMO. Don't have any idea why you'd think that, but I doubt you could get anyone here or any NFL coach or GM to agree with you.

alen1 and Anonymous like this.
  3. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Looking back at the top 7 WRs in terms of yardage last year and the team's success:

C Johnson = 4-12...team didn't make playoffs
    A Johnson = 12-4...team won WC game and lost divisional game
    B Marshall = 10-6...team didn't make playoffs
    D Thomas = 13-3...team lost divisional game
    V Jackson = 7-9...team didn't make playoffs
    D Bryant = 8-8...team didn't make playoffs
    R Wayne = 11-5...team lost WC game

4 teams didn't make playoffs and teams that did went 1-3 only winning a WC game.

If Miami doesn't sign a big name guy they will certainly draft a WR within the first 2 rounds. And I also think Rishard Matthews will be a legitimate WR and red zone threat. He looked great in preseason and also when given the opportunity in the regular season.

As Tannehill continues to develop and is able to go through his progressions the WR unit may appear to be a little deeper than believed. When M Moore played against the Jets he was able to hook with Armstrong on a 37 yard pass and Moore on a 30 yard pass.

This truly is a QB league. That having a big-time #1 is the difference between being a Super Bowl contender or not is one of the biggest myths in football. At least, that is what history has shown. That is not to say a team can't have one and make a run at the Super Bowl.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree b/c when I saw a correlation run between SB teams and pro bowl players, there were certain positions that absolutely correlated more than others. In other words, there were certain positions that SB teams more consistently got pro bowl years from in the year they played in the SB. Those positions on offense were QB and WR and on defense it was S. (I would also guess that pass rusher would be in there but the correlation I saw didn't break it down to DE in 4-3s and OLBs in 3-4s). IIRC there was also a higher than average correlation for the C position. So if I were building a team and wanted it to have the best chance of making the SB, I would want players likely or at least capable of giving me pro bowl years at QB, WR, S and C. (I'd also add pass rushers in there but that's just me). Obviously, you can get to the SB in other ways, but history indicates that having stars at those positions give you the best odds. I think the problem with your comparison is that yards in general is one of the worst predictors of team success. I wouldn't use that as the metric.

5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Nothing is a failure during the preseason. The failure is or is not determined when the records are tallied at the end of the season.

6. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    We are talking about the WR position so some statistic needs to be utilized. The basics are catches and yards. IMO using the "pro bowl" as some sort of measurement is a lot more off base than yardage. Not only is the pro bowl a popularity contest, but how many times do players not show up and a replacement player comes in to play. And now with the pro bowl being a week before the super bowl perhaps it is time to rename it the "above average bowl."

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

People who are voting that it's okay for no 'big name' vet to join us may not realize the implications.

No rookies, not Coradrrelle, not Stedman Bailey, not Quinton Patton, not Keenan Allen, will have the coaching staff feeling SO sure about them by opening day that they will sit either Bess or Hartline as the starters. Bess and Hartline know the system, have executed, are dependable, and proven.

If we brought in a veteran like Jennings or Wallace, there is a higher chance the coaches will trust them to start over Bess or Hartline by opening day.

A vote for rookies is a vote for Hartline and Bess as our opening day WRs.

8. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No it hasn't. I love that you make up these statements w/o a shred of supportive evidence. If history has "shown this" then show us the proof of it. Otherwise you're just talking out your arse.

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Igonoratio elenchi.

Fatue.

10. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Takes an arse to know one I guess.

Why not just let go of your resentment toward me and stop trying to create a big argument with every post I make. Miami signed Hartline for the amount of money I said would be fair for both sides so why not just accept it and move on?

Anonymous likes this.
  11. MrClean

Oh wow, I'm so impressed.

12. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

For what? Your being too lazy to read and my discounting a player that you had on your fantasy football team? Sorry, kid. I'll be sure to specify Deion Branch next time.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not sure it's necessary to attack another board member just because you don't agree with him.

Signed, Future Mod.

Steve-Mo, Bpk and AdamC13 like this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't recall my response to you having anything to do with what you're talking about. You made up a statement as if it were fact despite not having anything to support it other than it being your own opinion. If history has shown what you claim it has, then you shouldn't have any problem showing this history...... so go ahead- show it; otherwise stop making up false facts in order to support your opinion.

15. MrClean

Lots of insulting false assumptions there scooter. I read your entire post. Even without the ridiculous comment about Colston, I didn't agree with it.

16. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    well glad that's cleared away and I don't have to even worry about it. Could you give me Mondays lotto numbers too? Thanks.

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Rude? Perhaps. Attack? Lol where are you from?

It's a common expression.

I think they both have points, though. I made my own case that the skill of receivers required to have success is inversely related with the skill of the quarterback.

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's not an attack on him, genius. I'm attacking his post b/c it's unsupported.... and b/c it's clearly not true.... and b/c myself and others have shown Adam on more than one occasion how many SB teams have featured Pro Bowl and HOF receivers yet he continues to ignore it and press on with these ridiculous, false statements that he pushes as if fact. And you're not a mod, so STHU.

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Insulting? Scooter?

Listen, kid, my post was phrased in the form of a question. If you took offense to it and took it as fact, maybe you're not being honest with us here. I really don't care what the case is. I'd just appreciate it if you could quit trolling, though; adults are talking about football here. I'll PM you about why Colston isn't good, and we can let these good people get back to the actual topic at hand.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  20. MrClean

Kid? I'm probably old enough to be your father, and I have played Fantasy Football once in my life. Not being honest with "us"? Don't bother with PMing me about anything. Just put me on ignore and you won't have to be bothered with my posts anymore.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    EDITED

Too Adams post on #1 WRs being overvalued??? I disagree with him.

If you don't have an exceptional QB you certainly need high level receivers. Tannehill can't be called exceptional just yet, so adding a Wallace will create an offensive dynamic that makes EVERYONE better.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  22. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

Steve-Mo, Bpk, CANDolphan and 3 others like this.
  23. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    This poll is encouraging to me. It tells me folks are beginning to understand this offense. However, the idea this offense doesn't need speed is certainly not true. You need speed, but controlled, disciplined speed. If Wallace fits in he fits in. If Miami is pursuing him that is good enough for me. I am really encouraged by their interest in Gibson.

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    that hasn't been confirmed by a major news outlet yet. (I would include the local papers as part of that definition :shifty:)

25. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    if Boldin signs for $6 mil or less elsewhere, I will be pissed.

Bpk likes this.
  26. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Yeah, what we need is an alpha female WR.

27. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The most bang for the buck that Miami could draft at 12 is Jonathan Cooper, IMO.

However, Miami's already going to have to simplify the offense to fit their top receiving threat. Why not just go ahead and do away with the entire west coast philosophy in the quest for speed?

28. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He's 32 already, and already had his paydays, so I'd say it is certainly possible.

djphinfan likes this.
  29. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Could not disagree more. Rogers, Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, Austin are all elite prospects.

In a year where the FO has $40 mil of cap space and 9 draft picks, that line of thinking is unacceptable. It's worthy of spot firing.

30. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I like the wr depth in 2nd through 4th rounds. The Williams kid at Baylor is probably not going to be a first round pick. That indicates depth to me. Hopkins, Bailey, Patton, Austin, Allen etc. I like the wrs available this year more than last year, and all I heard early in this process was how bad this year would be.

31. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    If we dont get wallace, then i would draft eifert. and grab bailey in the 3rd, or hunter in the 2nd if he is still there

Bpk likes this.
  32. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    If I were guessing today on a first round pick for Miami, it would likely be one of these three: Austin, Eifert, or Trufant

djphinfan likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    wow, then what did you consider Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, and Julio Jones?

Bpk likes this.
  34. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Mythical?

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  35. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I wouldn't mind Eifert but no way at 12.
    Move back and get extra picks.

36. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Yeah I'm not sure I'd place any WR in the "elite prospect" category this year. Potential to be elite is Patterson. After that, it's a bunch of interesting prospects. He's got the size speed and ability to break tackles that you look for in an elite player. Everyone else has a knock that keeps them from that status, whether it be size (Austin) or speed (Allen)

Bpk likes this.
  37. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    thats not very good news

Hurricane likes this.
  38. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Dolphins interested in Brandon Gibson and Wes Welker. Hmmmmm.....Interesting.

39. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Only not good news IMO if he gets a contract close to Hartline. He should get like ~$4M/yr IMO.

40. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    true, he also is only 25 years old, but i want that playmaker on offense