1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If we finish with the following record, should Ireland be retained?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Dec 12, 2012.

Under what condition should Jeff Ireland be retained

Poll closed Dec 16, 2012.
  1. He should be fired no matter the record

52.6%
  2. He should be retained no matter the record

16.7%
  3. 6 wins or more

1.3%
  4. 7 wins or more

9.0%
  5. If we win out

20.5%
  1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought of doing three separate polls, but I've correctly (I think) condensed them into one poll for your viewing pleasure.

Very simple (I hope), Jeff Ireland should be retained if we have the following record or not...

We have three games left in the season... our record right now is 5 and 8. Two home games against the Jags and Bills (both games we SHOULD be favored in) and then a road game against the Pats.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    did we really type our things up at the same time? FML.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    At one point I was thinking if we won out our last few games, i'd give him this offseason to spend everything he has hoarded away. (Although I do want him gone.)

but now that i'm hearing this stuff that he might not even attempt to sniff at some big FA WRs/TEs.... its almost to the point where idc what the record is.

4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    :console:

Vinny Fins likes this.
  5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    who is saying he won't sniff at the big names? he's done it in the past with less salary cap room...

6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think 7 wins and he is pretty safe.

I'd have a hard time supporting him if we lost out with the likes of Jacksonville and Buffalo on the remaining schedule.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Its all just depending on who we retain and if he really is going to be balls deep building through the draft all the way. I'm mostly referring to the one article in the other thread at the moment, I personally think it's a bad move unless it turns into an outrageously high bid for any of the 3 decent FA WRs. and even then keller at TE would be nice. It's not a horrible draft for speed/hands, but not a great one either.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That's about where I am. I mean a losing record with a rookie head coach (never been a HC before) and a rookie quarterback starting from week 1 is to be expected. Never acceptable.... but you don't go hiring a rookie head coach and not think it's going to take some time (at least give him a year). Look at the Panthers and their GM situation. They hired a rookie head coach last year with a rookie quarterback drafted #1 overall... the GM Marty Hurney wasn't fired until the second year after a very disappointing start (he had been there since 2002). Their HC is probably going to be safe this offseason. So in that line of thinking Ireland should be relatively safe but with the Bills and Jags on the record here, I think those are must wins for him.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If the Dolphins win out and go 8-8, even I would think about retaining Jeff Ireland to see if he's learned from past mistakes. But the chances of winning out seem very low to me.

Ozzy, schmolioot and Bpk like this.
  10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I voted to fire him regardless of the outcome of the rest of the season. What happens over the last three games is irrelevant IMHO. Besides, I actually wanted him gone last season. I'm just not convinced he's a very good talent evaluator, and I'd like to see someone else brought in before the next draft.

That said, I don't think he's going anywhere.

11. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Honestly, at this point I think the team would be better served cutting ties with Ireland. I certainly don't think he is as bad as he has been painted, but IMO there is enough evidence now to safely assume he is also not good, merely average. And IMO that is not good enough.

I would take a chance with someone else.

12. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If we win out, I would think seriously about retaining him. Mainly because bad luck would have been the culprit for missing the playoffs, and not his negligence.

13. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Perhaps, but you also could argue that if we had made the playoffs, luck and other circumstances certainly covered his negligence too.

NolesNPhinsFan and Section126 like this.
  14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    10 pages by tonight.

15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yep.

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It would be nice if this poll would get a lot of votes because actually I think it's a really good survey question.

So far it appears that unless the Dolphins win out, 2 out of 3 Dol-fans think Ireland should be fired. And if the Dolphins don't win 2 of the next 3 games then 4 out of 5 think he should be fired.

ssmiami and Paul 13 like this.
  17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ireland is responsible for the talent of the team, not wins and losses.

The team was talented enough to be competitive vs. the Patriots and 49ers, and if anything bad luck/performance from otherwise quality special teams players was most at fault for a loss. The team clearly has holes, but every team has holes, and the only time that the team looked out of its depth was vs. the Titans, which the Dolphins aren't less talented than.

18. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Nice poll. This will be fun.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I put fired no matter what because I don't think he has done an above average job throughout his tenure. That is reflected in our current record. But I don't consider that the end all be all of whether he should retain his job. I would also base my decision on what the job market for GMs looks like, whether there is someone I think is a clear upgrade or not. And I would talk to Ireland and see if he thinks the team has the same problems as I do and has a plausible plan to fix it.

I'm extremely limited in my ability to gauge and do those things. But my instinct is that Ireland is an inherently flawed GM. I think he values things in players that don't translate into production more than an average GM does, things like size and how a player looks over a developed skill or history of production. And despite him hiring a coach in Philbin who came from a team whose philosophy I like, I'm not sure Ireland fully embraces the fact that you have to pass well and stop the pass well to fully take advantage of the way the game is set up. Thus he doesn't look for the players who can fully implement the coach's strength.

So being forced to choose an option in the poll, I went with fired no matte what because of those things and the fact that I don't think there is a ton of variance in GM performance. Meaning, I think if you pluck any of us out from the stands and make us GM we wouldn't be that much worse than the average GM, which I think Ireland is. That could also be a reason to keep him, being that he isn't bad and could have just been unlucky here and there. I will admit that it's a possibility. But unless the GM market is crap, I'd make a change. And I'll also admit that part of my reason is change for the sake of change given my belief that there isn't a ton of variance in GM ability. This team is depressing in it's consistent mediocrity. I think firing Ireland could change that for the better.

Paul 13 likes this.
  20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks, I'm hoping we get a lot of votes too.. good topical question given the course of discussion this week... interesting results so far.

21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    He may not be directly responsible for wins and losses, but in the end, since he's been here 5 years now, you have to take the team's overall performance into account. One trip to the playoffs. No playoff wins.

NolesNPhinsFan and dolfan32323 like this.
  22. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I voted to keep him. Like someone has said. We have a rookie coach, QB, and other parts. I remember earlier in the year, people were praising his selections when they were on the field getting playing time and making some noise. I want us to start winning and think the new coach and GM need to be on the same page. I think Ireland can go out and get the kind of players the coach wants.

23. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'm in the camp of folks who thought he should have been fired with Sparano last year, but I'll go if we win out.

24. Tepop84

Tepop84 Banned

Sep 13, 2010
    How about the fact that the team has done the same or worse every consecutive year. 11-5 to 7-9, to 7-9, to 6-10 to this year, which is likely another 6-10. The team has shown no signs of improving.

25. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I voted no matter what he should go and I have several reasons I feel that way. First of all he is the one remaining piece that was kept with all of the changes since Parcells arrived and he has more questionable moves than he has had good to really good moves. Do we go into each season fooling ourselves that he can finally take us to the next level? Next is, do we expect Ross to be true to his word since he was the one who stated he expected the Dolphins to make the playoffs this year? As much money as the Dolphins have poured into the offensive line it is still not anything but mediocre or average. The one really good piece to the defense that Ireland can take credit for is Cameron Wake but Ireland has not made the move to get Wake a complementary piece for the other side whether by the wrong choices or not making the right choice. I like Tannehill and still think he can be a good starting quarterback but Ireland is part of the reason that Tannehill's growth has been stunted by not giving him the necessary pieces to excel. Bush has shown flashes of greatness but overall he is not what we all expected him to be and has not been a good and consistent starting running back. We can all hope Thomas and Miller will eventually show what is necessary to be a good starting running back but right now all we have is hope. Fasano is a good Tight End but not a great TE but he is all we have at TE. We can continue to make excuses for Ireland's failures or continue to fool ourselves into thinking he will eventually get it but at some point we must either accept his shortcomings or we hope for a new GM who can try a new approach.
    I have been supportive of Ireland and have hoped for the best but I am no longer comfortable with just having hope and receiving disappointments.

mi2cents and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  26. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    When did Jeff Ireland become responsible for the coaching. If we are 5-11 or whatever, its Philbins fault and we have regressed. At least under Sparano we would have been 8-8 and I would even go as far as 10-6 with a decent QB. Remember 11-5 with Pennington

27. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    That's coaching.....crappy coaching. I don't see what this regime has done that Sparano did not.

Oh wait, they get a pass because it is their first year

Then of course subsequent years they will also receive a pass because it's "IRELAND'S FAULT" they can't coach.

You don't think Philbin new these circumstances existed. He can't loose. No matter what he does he gets a pass.........LOL

We are such suckers

28. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I voted if Miami wins out, he should be retained. Personally, I think we've seen some "flashes", for lack of better terminology, of him being able to learn from a past mistake(s) and breaking away from the height-weight-speed prototypes Miami sought when Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano first arrived.

That said, I think his past, and especially the bad moves that happened when Parcells were here have been shrouded and/or swept under the rug to some degree. I think Ross should have bagged Ireland along with Sparano and just started fresh after last season. Obviously that didn't happen. I think he's got a strong nucleus of a team together, but his track record in finding and drafting skill position players still appears pretty weak to me. That's, in my opinion, where the majority of this teams' needs lie in terms of what's needed for next season, both offensively and defensively. I don't trust him to successfully address those needs, as many of the positions he first talked about being key positions when he arrived are still needs and/or holes on the roster today.

It is encouraging to see Miami hold its own against the likes of New England and San Francisco. But for the most part, that's about where this team has been since Jimmy Johnson left. The Dolphins are rarely a pushover and are competitive, but they haven't gotten over the proverbial hump. I just can't see Jeff Ireland acquiring the players to give the Dolphins that final push.

Ozzy likes this.
  29. Tepop84

Tepop84 Banned

Sep 13, 2010
    Miami held their own against SF? I guess if losing by 14 is considered good. And they only lost by 7 to NE because dumbass coach kicked a fg down by 10. How did they hang at home vs Tennesee? Only lost by 34!

30. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Go look at the QB play.....very little has changed

From the Sports Exchange:

12/10/12 - QB Ryan Tannehill has completed just 30-of-62 passes (48.4 percent) the past two weeks, and he has just eight touchdown passes all season.
    12/09/12 - QB Ryan Tannehill completed just 17-of-33 passes (51.5 percent) for 150 yards, a touchdown and a 74.1 passer rating. Tannehill has had a passer rating under 75 in four of his last five games.
    12/05/12 - QB Ryan Tannehill had a rough game against New England, completing just 13-of-29 passes and missing a wide open Brian Hartline a couple times on deep passes that could have been easy touchdowns. Tannehill said it wasn't easy watching the tape this week, but he vows to improve. "It's tough when you miss throws you make 99 times out of 100 in practice and even in games," he said. "It's frustrating, but you can't do anything about it, but move on (and) make the throws (the) next time they come up. I was definitely frustrated that night and when I watched the film, but I'm over it now and just ready to make the throws the next time it comes up."
    12/05/12 - QB Ryan Tannehill is tied for 30th in passer rating (72.3), 26th in fourth-quarter passer rating (81.8) and 31st on third down (60.2).
    12/02/12 - QB Ryan Tannehill's passer rating after 12 games is 72.3. He has just seven touchdown passes against 12 interceptions, plus two rushing touchdowns. His completion percentage Sunday, 44.8 percent, was his second lowest of the season. He hit on just 13 of 29 passes for 186 yards. His accuracy was off all game, as he missed wide-open receivers deep and threw several passes behind his receivers. He completed just 44.4 percent of his passes in a loss to the Jets earlier this year. Overall, he is completing just 57.9 percent of passes this season. Tannehill has played in five straight games since suffering a knee injury.

31. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

he is not guilty for our lack of playmakers (maybe he is not in charge of drafting and acquiring FAs, I guess..)

he is not responsible for the bad coach we have (it is not like he has any power in chosing the coaching staff.....)

wtf is this guy's job then?! sitting and watching?! saying a****le to dumb fans?
    has he made a freaking decision?

I mean,some people here thinks Ryan Tannehiil has already busted but they don't criticize Ireland for that (picking 5th overall QB who lacks the IT factor and is already holding the team back!)...

now, sparano (mr clock manager, the one who lost 7 games in a row for starting a season and that, if I am not wrong, hand-picked Colombo) is suddenly better than Philbin?!? ok, maybe, but who fired Sparano?!?!?!
    is Ireland at least responsbile for that, for replacing the bad Sparano with an (apparently) even worse coach?

I don't know if he has to go (i don't think he is the worst gm out there, but clearly there is some kind of not-so-little problem in the Dolphins organization, and even if you are better than average it is not worth muchy because in this league just few teams can go to the Playoffs, just 2 play the SB and just one wins...being better then 15or16 GMs is not enough, I know it is not very fair, but this is the weight you shoulder when you are lucky enough to have one of just 32 jobs like that in the all world), but, jesus, reading some posters here he just has no power, he makes no decisions, nothing: the3 problems are the coaching staff, the players, the owner, even the fan sometimes

we are losing for 4 season in a row, during this time we changed offensive coach (twice), qb (henne, moore, tannehill), coach, d coach (twice: pasqualoni, nolan, coyle), cornerback (bye bye vonta), running back (bye bye old brown&ricky), at some point we have to admit that Ross&Ireland are the main element that all these losing teams have in common... and I don't think we can fire the owner...sooner or later, if we don't start winning or at least being promising, he'll be gone

32. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007

This. However, since Ross kept him around and let him draft a QB, I think he survives unless we lose out the rest of the way. Yeah, it would be an easier sell to the fans if we WON out and the FO could point to the team "turning the corner" and "an improved record". You have to believe that Ross NEVER really expected a rookie QB to lead this team to a winning season, so Ireland was on a two year plan.

I'd love to see it all turn around for 2013. I'd love to see Jeff make the right draft choices and use that cap space to build a winning team. He clearly will have had enough time (even given that he was a puppet for Parcells till 2011) to rebuild this team since being free to call the shots himself.

33. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He'd need to win out for an 8-8 finish and even then I'm not sure I'd want him back. I simply don't believe he has the ability to build a consistent winner in the NFL.

34. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

How convenient that the man ultimately in charge isn't responsible for the win/ loss record. Teflon Jeff appreciates not being accountable for what is what matters , making the playoffs and winning.

35. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm done allowing myself to fall for that one. We've been on the cusp since I was in high school.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  36. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    He's had enough time in my opinion.

37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    sorry, but the bolded part makes no sense whatsoever. If any fan is shortsided enough to have already written off Tannehill, I guarantee you they want Ireland gone.

38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    10 out of 10 fans who think Ireland should be fired are wasting their time. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Last year people wanted to lose so we could get a shot at a QB. This year people wanna lose so that the GM will be fired. It's hilarious. It really doesn't matter whether we win or lose the last 3 games. People smart enough to run NFL franchises don't make decisions that way. The certainly don't trade away some of their best players for future draft picks, refrain from signing significant FAs or extending expiring contracts if their job depends on winning games during the current season.

If Ireland fired, and he won't be, it'll be because his entire body of work was deemed insufficient. Not because we lost to the Jaguars and Bills. Get a grip folks.

2socks and gunn34 like this.
  39. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You've been here for 5 years. How bout we fire you :tongue2:.

40. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I accidentally voted he be retained no matter what, but I think the opposite. Oops..