1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If we had drafted the best RB this year......?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Jun 8, 2013.

If we drafted the best RB this year would you feel:

1. More sure about the position

35.1%
  2. Less sure about the position

18.9%
  3. The same unsure about the position

45.9%
  1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If we had drafted the best RB this year would you feel more, less or the same amount of unsure about the position this year and why?

2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Personally..Id feel the same..just more confident in the depth. I honestly.think Lamar Mill is just as good as any in the draft..actually possibly even better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Good morning Fin D!

I would feel LESS UNSURE if we drafted a back to supplant not only a draft pick that was selected in the second round a couple years prior (Thomas), but also a projected late first-rounder/early second-rounder from the 2012 draft (Miller).

Like vt, I have all the confidence in the world in regard to Miller.

Fin D likes this.
  4. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That's kind of what we did, isn't it? We drafted a junior who would arguably have been the top back this year had he stayed for an extra year. Does anyone think Giovani Bernard is better than Lamar Miller? I'm not sure he's better than Mike Gillislee to TBH.

djphinfan, cuchulainn and Fin D like this.
  5. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    the option "i wouldn´t have wanted them to draft a RB" is missing for me.....i´m all in on Lamar Miller

6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I have not felt there has been a big need to use a top pick toward running back this offseason there is very good depth in RB as it is those picks were needed on other positions. My personal picks would have gone after DE,CB,OL, first and foremost. Reggie missing from the line up will be missed but we need to find affordable play makers to get a full team on the field for the future.

7. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Hey, Fin...
    What happened to an answer "Not worried about the position?"

I am not as worried as I was last year. The "Dancing With the Stars" wannabe is gone. I think the guys we have now have a better chance to give us consistent yards when we need them, and not just the occasional long runs when the stars all fall into place.

Fin D likes this.
  8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

There as no 'sure thing' type of back in this year's draft, so no i wouldn't feel more certain about the RBs.

That said, I like Gillislee and feel confident that if Miller is not up to the task, Gilly or Gray will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fin D likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not there because its not the point of my question. People are saying they feel unsure about our RB situation, and I wanted to see if they'd feel better if we had drafted the top RB this year. I ask because Miller has shown he can actually play in the pros and a rookie hasn't.

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Same. We would still have nothing but unproven backs.
    Not say Miller or Gillislee wont be good, just saying none of the RBs on the roster have really proven they can play at this level.

P h i N s A N i T y and Fin D like this.
  11. Bpk

I think it's over-inferring things to look at Miller as proven.

What he has shown at this level is that his talent belongs, and he can run the ball. What he has also shown is he lines up wrong, misses assignments, and it seems his role was limited as a result.

If he overcomes the latter, then the former will be able to take over.

12. Bpk

Disagree. Miller CAN play at this level, as we have seen, but we need to be clear on his role.

He has shown he can play as a #2 type back who doesn't get used in some formations and packages. Who, most likely, limited coaches play selection when in the game.

If we want to remain restricted and are okay with his mental mistakes, then yes, he is proven.

But in a new role as a Reggie Bush type of back who needs to execute the full play book, on all downs, in all situations, he is unproven.

I still think his talent justifies allowing him to learn on the job. Honestly, a lot is riding on the job Jeff Nixon, the runningbacks coach, does.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He's proven more than a rookie is my point.

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Less sure because I liked Miller more then any of the backs this year sans Lattimore who is hurt.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  15. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    But he is unproven as a top-of-the-depth-chart RB. Which is what he is heading into camp.

16. Bpk

A note on Nixon, the man tasked with helping this young, inexperienced group of RBs perform like professionals this year, he worked as a special teams coach with the Eagles with a focus on RBs.

He's actually relatively inexperienced, and I can't say anything in his bio reassures me that he is the best guy to develop these young runningbacks, but he did have experience in Andy Reid's WCO with runningbacks so maybe that style will translate a bit to a Lamar Miller. Think Brian Westbrook, perhaps?

17. Bpk

Oh definitely.

Fin D likes this.
  18. Bpk

True. Part of the fun of a new season. We don't know the outcomes. :)

PSG likes this.
  19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'll tell you this, I'd feel a lot less confident in this regime if they had drafted a RB high... It wasn't one of the main needs.. .I'm happy with what they've done...I wouldn't have done anything differently at this point...we don't know what Miller will bring yet, but we do know that there were other needs besides RB, particularly in this draft...

20. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree.
    I'm not trying diminish or downplay Miller and his talent. I'm just giving my opinion on FinD's question about our RBs.
    Not saying Miller can't be a #1 RB, just saying he hasn't....yet.

Fin D and Bpk like this.
  21. Bpk

Which makes me curious, if you were to project how many yards and TDs each of our backs ended up with this season, what would you project?

I'd say:

Miller 800 rushing, 200 receiving yards 5 rushing TDs, 3 receiving TDs
    Gray or Gillislee 400 rushing, 70 receiving yards, 5 rushing TDs getting the rock at goal line more than Miller does), 1 receiving TD
    Thigpen <100 rushing, 50 receiving, 1TD (receiving)

Daniel Thomas will be cut at roster cutdowns, imd. (in my dreams)

22. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Miller had a flashes of brilliance early on last year. What scares me was that he was inadequate in other areas, enough so, to keep him off the field. He has a lot of positive hype coming out of OTA's now, but I am still concerned.

For arguments sake, assuming we had an extra pick... if we used it on Eddie Lacy, I would feel much better about the position. I look at what Green Bay did in the draft, and I'm pissed if I have to play defense in that division.

I like Miller, but am not 100% sold. I never liked Thomas from the get-go. And I am hoping Gillislee is good. Will he or Miller be as productive as Reggie Bush??? We can't fix every hole on the team, and line them 3 deep with all-pros. But that point isn't being discussed here. RB is an area of concern for me, and if we had an Eddie Lacy, it would be much less of one.

23. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I think this offense could have been taken to another level with the tandem of Miller and Lacy, but the choice was made to go all in on upgrading on defense not offense. Thus no Lacy, no upgraded TE or slot receiver.

24. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Miller is the guy, in some ways he is still a Rook but one we know a bit about.

Anyone we could have drafted would also have to show they can withstand the pounding the league gives out to that position.

25. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    "But we have Daniel Thomas" said no one ever.

26. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Hey! When a 6th round draft pick from my alma mater (That noted perennial football power house - FAU) can come into the league and get over 1600 yards - anything can happen with running backs. Miller accelerates out of the backfield and picks the spot to run along the way. I like that. Bush would do the teaberry shuffle behind the line waiting for something to open up - and gave the defense a lot of tackles behind the line. Me no likey!

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is why i made this thread.

Why does Lacy who is an unproven rookie make you feel better than Miller whose has actually shown that he can play in the pros? Just simple math, tells us that whatever fears you have for Miller you'd have to have for Lacy, except with Lacy there's still the chance that he can't run in this league.

28. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Sorry but I can only vote "Present.":shifty:

Not to be a negative ninny but who's to say we didn't draft the best or that the best won't show up starting the first game of the season? At this point in time my faith is in our HC and his staff and any back not named Daniel Thomas.

29. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yes there is that chance. And there's a chance Miller won't amount to anything in this league. Don't sit there and tell me Miller is a "proven NFL commodity." And don't turn this into "so you think Miller wont be good."

Lol, you act as if there is nothing to base a prospect's potential on. I mean, why pay scouts? Why have a draft? Why even play college ball? Tell Ck, Boomer, and Con to stop wasting their time.

Lacy has big time pro measurables and that elite SEC/Bama pedigree.

30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I mean why does anyone think Dion Jordan will be half the player Koa Misi will be? Misi has proved he can stay on an NFL roster and play in the games. DJ has not.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Calm down, I wasn't busting your balls. I genuinely don't understand your stance.

I'm not saying Miller is PROVEN. I'm saying he's more proven than any rookie RB, because he's actually shown flashes of playing in the pros. Again, every fear you have for Miller you should have for Lacy, but Lacy has proven nothing when Miller has proven something.

32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You are so-over thinking this, you are disregarding the entire draft and scouting process.

Lacy has the measurables and pedigree that I like in a potential player.

Look at it this way, Irish would Trade Miller, Gillislee, and Dez Bryant's mom for Lacy.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No I'm not. Look, the team broke their plan last year to take Miller because they were shocked a player of his caliber was available (even though the year before they drafted a RB in the 2nd). They then let him carry the ball 50 times in the pros and he responded with a 5 ypc.

Lacy could bust out like other RBs that were thought highly of. Its less likely Miller will because we've already seen him play in the pros.

Ireland would do no such thing.

You're underthinking this. (Now I'm breaking your balls)

GMJohnson likes this.
  34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Well they knew they busted on that RB from the year before. And it's not that hard to deviate from a plan in the 4th round.

I promise you, barring injury, Lacy will have well over 50 carries.

One of my gripes last year was not involving miller more, even at the expense of dumbing the offense down.

But I think Lacy has more potential, and 50 pro carries is not enough to draw any sort of conclusion.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course Lacy will have 50 carries, who is debating that?

50 carries is more than Lacy has had at this point.

36. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Again, why bother drafting anybody and playing them over the incumbents with experience.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's not what I am saying.

I'm talking about why a fan has more confidence in a rookie that has proven nothing, then a 1 year player who has shown he CAN actually play well in this league. I'm not saying a rookie can't better than a 1 year vet.

38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I had Miller rated as the 3rd best back of that class, so I obviously like him and his potential. Ideally, I would like some more "thunder" in the backfield, but I'm happy with Miller and some of the depth there.

39. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    Would've been upsetting. Just as upsetting as the decision to give Thomas many more carries than Miller when Bush went down. Miller was clearly looking like the better back and they just kept keeping Thomas on the field.

This staff seems a little bullish in that regard. Reminds me, unfortunately, a little of Jimmy Johnson. They have an agenda, their agenda, and they are going push it- all wrong IMO. You design plays for your ballers and you call them to their advantage. You don't try smash-mouth- fail- and continue to smash. Don't put players in your offense, make an offense for your players.

Miller is gonna shock the world, all except us Cane fans. We've seen the kid.

40. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I just reaaallly like Gio Bernard and was hoping we'd snag him; that would've made me feel good about the RB situation. I'm not crazy about Miller - couldn't get on the field last year over the mighty Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas.