1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If We Had Mike Wallace In 2012.... (A Little Game For You)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Here's an interesting game. Mike Wallace averages 8 TDs a year, which is 7 more than either Hartline or Bess managed in 2012. If we pretended Wallace's production were on the team last season, he would have brought 8 TDs instead of 1 TD at one of those receiver spots.

Go back through 2012's results and add 7 extra TDs to whichever games you like and see how many more games we would have won.

[Yes, this is totally unrealistic, since in Miami Wallace will have a different QB, different scheme, etc etc... but it is meant to be a fun way to see what sort of impact that level of WR production could have had on our season last year]

Fin-Omenal and MrClean like this.
  2. Bpk

I decided to add the 7 TDs as follows...

Houston: We lose 30-17 instead of 30-10.

Jets: We win 27-23 instead of lose 23-20

Bengals: We win 24-13 instead of 17-13

Rams: We win 24-14 instead of 17-14

Colts: We win 27-23 instead of lose 23-20

Titans: We lose 37-10 instead of 37-3

Patriots (1st game): We tie them 23-23 but lose in OT, instead of lose 23-16 in regulation.

If things played out that way, our record would have been 9-7. NOt sure if we would have made the playoffs.

The thing is, you can find places to add the seven TDs and still lose the same number of games, but you could also find places to put those seven TDs and win as many as 6 more games. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Boik14 and ToddPhin like this.
  3. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Know what Wallace's stats were without Roethlisberger last year?

10 receptions, 77 yards, 0 TDs in 3 games.

Emmanuel Sanders caught 13 passes for 217 yards and 0 TDs in those games.

4. Bpk

Yup, like I said in my disclaimer... he could come in and be nothing like he was in the past. Still, he stands a better chance of scoring more TDs than Hartline than Hartline does of scoring more than Wallace.

Also, Tannehill is better than the Steelers backups no?

dolfan22 likes this.
  5. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't think that's conclusive of anything though.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Going into the year he was averaging 19 yards per catch. Wasn't that good enough for all-time best? Obviously, Pitt really changed their scheme w/Haley and holding out didn't help, so his 2012 season wasn't on par with his previous ones. Can't deny that. But the guy makes ridiculous plays. He's entering is prime. Has a solid injury history. No character issues. And if Philbin thinks he can play in this offense, that's good enough for me (same would apply if thinks otherwise).

He's as good as we're going to get. There's no better options. He costs us no picks, either. All he does he cost us some money. Aren't we going to have a ton of money next year too? And the year after? I've hated on Ireland my fair share, but we're OK cap wise. We've got no contracts of concern on the books going forward as of now. Maybe in two-three years we'll actually develop a young receiving core like GB did. And in the event things don't work out, we just dump him. Unlike Marshall, we won't be eating picks. Just some cap, which we should have plenty of.

dolfan22, ToddPhin and MrClean like this.
  7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Very small sample size. Pretty much meaningless.

8. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Add one to Jets game, we win
    Add one to Cardinals game, we win
    Add two to Patriots game, we win
    Add two to 49ers game, but we lose in OT
    Add one to Bills game, we win

11-5 a guy can dream right?

Bpk likes this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So Ryan Tannehill = Grandpa Charlie Batch and Broken down Byron Leftwich? That's a fair comparison :no:

Bpk likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We'd have been 9-7 if Carpenter made 2 field goals.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, where did he say that?

12. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So, what are you implying with that 3 game sample size?

13. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    If he is a $12+ million receiver, he should produce for whoever is throwing the ball.

This guy is a modern day Alvin Harper.

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Look right above. Thats implying that wallace cant do jack without Ben.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Um, even if that was his point (which I'm not sure it was), its still not the same thing as him saying:

16. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    For the purposes of this exercise, you can easily take away that 1 TD by Hartline. Just Add Wallace.

And for those who think Hartline will get better if there is a better receiver opposite of him, think again. He will never ever again in his life get as many as targets or opportunities. This season was the peak of his career. He will not get better.

17. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I REALLY don't understand this one.

He CAN'T produce if the QB doesn't throw him the ball,
    or only throws it to him on short routes
    OR if the QB is not accurate enough for him to make a move after catching the ball.

18. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Then why pay him $12 million plus per season?

That is why the WR position as a whole is an overvalued position. Their production is directly tied to their quarterback. It is the most dependent position on the football field. Some of you are falling into the same trap you did with Brandon Marshall, thinking that even if he doesn't touch the football, the fact that he will draw coverage and open up things for everyone else will make the offense better. Except for the fact that Brandon Marshall DID NOT make the offense better, mostly because Miami's quarterback play was terrible.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  19. Bpk

I think you build a team under the operating assumption of decent QB play, not bad QB play.

20. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    You have been arguing for 3 days now that production equals touchdowns. Now in this post you're saying receptions and yards. Make up your mind

21. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    You build your team and allocate the finances based on the value of the position. On offense, your most valuable positions are QB and LT. On defense, it is pass rusher and cornerback. That's your premium positions in the NFL.

22. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    His ascension has been marked. This is only the beginning. Imagine when he actually gets an off-season with Tannehill.

Anonymous likes this.
  23. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think the value changes with each NFL rule. Before Marino begane to light it up, value was the big running back and the interior line. Position value is relative to scheme, trends, and rules. The trendy thing now is tall, fast WR's who catch anything and score. The rules have been changed to help the WR's and QB's.

Bpk likes this.
  24. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Not really. The only thing that ascended were the targets thrown Hartline's way [by default]. What resulted from those targets actually descended. Yards per target, yard per catch, 1st down%, and TD% were all down.

Heck, he had only 1 more game over 50 yards last year than he did in 2010.... but he did manage 8 games at 50 yards or less and a 250 yard game that'll never happen again... so there's that to build on.

.... and a new receiver in FA replacing him as the main guy..... and then another one in the draft. So I imagine 2012 might very well be the last time Hartline sees 1k yards unless he's looking at Mike Wallace's 2013 football card.

Bpk, GMJohnson and mroz like this.
  25. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Here's the thing though...could it be that IF we had him in 2012, in those games some of the TDs WOULDN'T of happened because it was thrown to him, and it was picked off, or dropped, incomplete etc..?

I'm not saying this as a knock on Wallace, I want him here. But if you gonna play the "What If" Game, you gotta consider the other side of the coin.

Bpk likes this.
  26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Larry Fitzgerald sucks too?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yup. Thank god Ireland had the smarts to lock him up.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If Wallace saw the same coverages that Hartline got last year he'd have put up 15-1800 yds and 10 TDs. But he'd never see the Hartline coverages bc teams know better.

29. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldnt want LF on my team right now… he is going to be on the wrong side of 30 soon and his skill are clearly in decline! He was outperformed by Hartron in just about every category imaginable! Except TD's.. and that is not Hartrons fault…

:crapstrom:

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Using this as a worst case scenerio, that would equal a season of 53 receptions and 410, which is a pretty crappy 7.7 yards per attempt.

While not worth $12 million, it still would have improve the offense to have a 3rd receiver that actually has an impact.

Miami would have improved because they would have at least three wide receivers who are above decent.

Best case scenerio is that he fit into Miami's high octane offense and has his average year, which adds instead of takes away.

Would Wallace be willing to work in an offense that is not slow?

31. Bpk

Okay, so to be fair... we have a QB. We MAY have an LT, but there are also draft options there. We have Wake. Cornerback is the big questionmark and I'd expect us to go with a CB in round one or at 2a.

Unless they plan to go after a Free Agent CB as a starter, I think the money exists to get a more explosive WR. For what it's worth, Keith, I agree with you about Wallace not being a great fit for our offensive philosophy, but I find the idea of having him preferable to having NEITHER him nor Jennings.

32. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Just watched Wallace's 2012 highlight video on youtube… Anyone that says Wallace is a one trick pony either doesnt know what they are talking about or they are choosing to ignore the facts to try to make a point. Wallace caught 8 TD's last year and three were down the sideline three came from crossing routes (one was a classic Jerry Rice slant… gone TD) one was on a corner fade and one was on a post pattern. In the little highlight video that I saw he caught more balls across the middle than Hartron has ever dreamed of.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Anyone who bases their opinion on a Youtube highlight film, shouldn't tell people whether or not they know what they are talking about.

KB21 and Stringer Bell like this.
  34. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    If WR's are an after thought as you are suggesting then why in the world do you need CB's for? I mean who are they covering?

35. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    my opinion wasnt based on the youtube video, the youtube video just confirmed what I thought. Cant argue with the video…

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Your opinion isn't based off coaches footage, because there is plenty who have shown that he isn't that good of a route runner. You can ignore that fact if you want.

He might be worth signing, however that doesn't mean we should ignore his faults.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think the point is that WRs, for the most part are the same. Sure, you have your above average guys like Megatron and your below average guys like Legedu, but not a lot separates the guys in between them. (I'm fully aware this is not a popular view). Then, you dilute their impact more when you take out for running plays. Further still when you have 2-3 of them on an average play.

I disagree with KB about the importance of CBs, though. I think safeties are infinitely more important than CBs.

38. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

maybe I wasnt clear enough in my first post. I dont think Wallace doesnt have faults… as a matter of fact I think he runs some pretty sloppy routes from what I have seen but to say he is a one trick pony is either ignorant or hyperbole… you choose…

I am not an NFL scout, I dont pretend to be… to be honest my opinion is that of a novice. I can admit that… :)

Fin D and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Fair enough. :yes:

mroz likes this.
  40. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I personally think that is a narrow point of view. Personally, I think it all goes together… you could have the best QB in the world but if he doesnt have guys that can make plays he is going to suffer for it. If he doesnt have an OL that can keep him up right he is going to suffer for it… You have to have good receivers to make an offense click. You have to have that guy that can catch a ball anywhere on the field and score from there. We dont have that guy and Wallace is that type of guy. BUT we are getting away from the crux of the issue I have with some people here… to say Mike Wallace doesn't run good routes is understandable IMO, to say he is a one trick pony and in essence claim that all he can do is run straight down the sideline is just wrong.