1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if you don't like

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Feb 12, 2011.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) if you don't like Bill Parcells, he's still one of the best minds in football & part of the organization. Parcells is not responsible for the dismantling of the offensive line, nor on the insistence of starting Henne @ QB. Tony owns those mistakes. Sparano pulled the trigger on those decisions against the Tuna's best advice & that just may have a lot to do with Parcell's attitude toward the organization @ the end of the season. he simply walked away in disgust & allowed Tony to play out his hand as head coach. what else could he have done?
    2) if you don't like Chad Henne, get over it because he will probably get a chance to redeem himself @ some point in time next season. if he is in the stable, I believe Henne should be allowed to compete for the start, regardless how they resolve the QB situation. competition is the elixir of success. in the end, Henne will probably not be the answer. however, we have too much invested not to include him in the final resolution of the QB dilemma, in whatever capacity he can contribute.
    3) if you don't like Tony Sparano, it doesn't matter, he's the coach. better hope he's learned from his many bone-headed mistakes.
    4) if you don't like Jeff Ireland, well he's what we've got & he'll stand or fall on this draft & free-agency, as will the franchise.
    5) if don't like Brian Daboll, wish him well, because if he can work the offense like Mike Nolan has the defense, we'll have a shot @ winning some games in 2011. it's as simple as that...

as they go, we go. wish them well. :dolphin:

late again likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If you don't like Karl Dorrell... then too bad.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If you dont like that guy ToddPhins or whatever his name is, just put him on ignore like a lot of folks do..

I do agree with your post 23rd.

late again likes this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

23rd and believing Chad Henne deserves a chance to start? Since when? Last night? Because up until now, there has been nothing but Chad is not the answer posts out of you.....

:headscratch:

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Ozzy:
    since, I quit being angry & faced reality:
    2) if you don't like Chad Henne, get over it because he will probably get a chance to redeem himself @ some point in time next season. if he is in the stable, I believe Henne should be allowed to compete for the start, regardless how they resolve the QB situation. competition is the elixir of success. in the end, Henne will probably not be the answer. however, we have too much invested not to include him in the final resolution of the QB dilemma, in whatever capacity he can contribute.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

okie dokie then

jetssuck likes this.
  8. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Is this real life?

GISH likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend BlameItOnTheHenne:
    are we talking football or existentialism?
    I believe this is our (2011) franchise reality, as stated in the thread
    having said that
    I have no opinion on anyone's personal reality

or was that simply a rhetorical question?
    how about: it is what it is

10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Agree with everything you said except that.

Chad Henne should be traded. I do not believe he deserves another chance in Miami. However, if he does get another chance (more than likely) I will support him 100% until he proves me wrong and starts losing games for us again next season.

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

See, in my opinion, that's a fallacious statement. You can't just say "Oh well we spent a second round pick on him" or "Oh he started 18 games for us, so we have to keep trying."

2 words: Pat White

... and 4 more: square peg, round hole.

We have a new offensive coordinator, so any schematic reasoning for keeping Henne as a stopgap goes out the window. He's signed cheaply, but that's the only thing he has going for him. If there's a reason he stays, it'll be that; so ironically, his saving grace will be the small (monetary) investment we have in him!

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Hurricane quoted me as saying:
    "we have too much invested not to include him in the final resolution of the QB dilemma, in whatever capacity he can contribute."
    this is an accurate appraisal of how I see the QB situation
    & in particular Chad Henne. look @ the statement in its entirety

Henne could conceivably contribute in a myriad of ways:
    1) could compete & win the start
    2) could be the starter while we break in a rookie QB
    3) could serve the team as a back-up
    4) could be traded, helping the team gain advantage in the draft or free-agency
    what Chad Henne can't be, nor should he be, is ignored

in one way or the other he should contribute to the development of the team. I am open to all & any options that will improve our game.

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree w/ 23rd :yes:

[​IMG]

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I don't disagree with any of this, if that's how you feel. I think "invested" was just a poor choice of words...or something about the way you said it.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    poor word selection, tried to insinuate too much. glad I got a second chance to clear up & expand on my thoughts concerning Henne & his importance to the team.

Hurricane likes this.
  16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    So.... wait a minute... you bash Henne all season long, and say he's a bust, and isnt the answer, blah blah blah, now you're ok with him starting?

:sidelol:

Am I still drunk from last night or something? What's going on here.

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    exactly, Friend brandon27:
    simply do not want to waste precious opportunities or resources wherever we find them
    "we have too much invested not to include him in the final resolution of the QB dilemma, in whatever capacity he can contribute."

in one way or the other he should contribute to the development of the team. I am open to all & any options that will improve our game.

why would I continue insisting he is a bust? it is what it is & we're stuck with the guy.
    I would prefer to clean the slate & give him an opportunity to become part of the solution.

we have a major rebuilding to accomplish on offense. it will probably take two years to complete.

Center
    Left Guard (pulling)
    RB (franchise quality that can carry the load)
    QB
    TE (blocking, H-Back type)
    WR/ RtnSp (speedster that can do returns & stretch the field on offense )​

18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

1) what proof do you have that the rest of us do not that Sparano bears all the weight for the decisions along the OL or starting Henne ?? It's pretty apparent that Sparano didn't have last say on some things, as that was 'added' in his recent extension ?? Who is your source ?? Because otherwise you're just guessing and this is nothing more than your opinion of the situation. I don't agree or disagree, but it's just your opinion.... BTW, Parcells, as is his MO quit long before he moved his furniture out of his office in Davie....In fact, back in March of last year, he said he would stay as long as HE felt necessary...that obviously was early Sept....

2) Given the CBA situation, the questions surrounding FA and where we pick in the draft with the missing 2nd rounder, the assumption that Henne will be our guy for at least this year is rather simple to make... I don't know, like the rest of us, whether Henne is the answer or not, but he'll get another shot because despite his deficiencies, he wasn't responsible for all of the offensive woes....

3) Ross made the decision to move on with Tony versus changing coaches now. That decision was made in early January. You're right, it's time to move on if you harbor any ill feelings...however, I had ill feelings against Wanny for nearly 5 yrs....you're right, just live with it... Personally, I don't feel any different than I did last year at this time (save for the CBA issues), it's time to build for the coming year...

4) Jeff Ireland has not embarrassed himself by any stretch of the imagination in his time here. Of course that, some would say, can be tempered by the actual amount of involvement Parcells has really had in personnel moves...However as in #1 above, is all speculation on our part...there isn't any proof one way or the other... But if you say that he at the very least was in charge of scouting and at least bringing up the names of the players, he's done a very good job of it...

5) How can anyone make a sound judgment on Daboll ?? He's had some bad luck as an OC (injuries) and he at the very least showed that McCoy has some potential, after losing his first and second choices to injury. He also has had a dysfunctional FO and staff to deal with in Cincy. That said, he hasn't coached a down here yet, so any predisposition is again, speculation....

BTW, please, I don't need to be told who I should like or not like, especially on a forum like this one...it's got too much class as it is....I can make my own decisions as to who to support and not support without being told by anyone else...I glad you offered your opinion, but keep in mind it's just an opinion, not stated facts...

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend LarryFin, the response:
    1) the speculation is based on what was said & implied by the media, on comments Parcells personally made before walking away from the organization
    2) apparently we are in agreement
    3) everyone knows the story behind that debacle, Ross was shopping for another head-coach. if you chose to go with the spin they put out after the fact, so be it.
    4) we have no disagreement on Ireland.
    5) of coarse you're right about Daboll. the only thing I did was spin it positive: if you don't like Brian Daboll, wish him well, because if he can work the offense like Mike Nolan has the defense, we'll have a shot @ winning some games in 2011. it's as simple as that...

didn't mean to demean. :no:
    needn't concern yourself about my opinion
    being anymore than an opinion
    or ever consider that I would disrespect
    the forum or you in any way by posting it.

have a nice day

20. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Chad Henne cannot be traded to gain draft picks. Players cannot be traded until there is a FA period and on draft day, only draft picks can be traded, not players and draft picks as in the past. Nothing in FA or trade is going to happen until the new CBA.

21. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

If a new CBA is reached by March 3rd (not likely, but this is important...), free agency will occur before the NFL draft and the offseason will progress as usual.

22. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    True but I do not believe the owners want any type of an agreement by the due date. The ball is heavily in their court and their court wants changes made of biblical proportions.

23. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Yeah, I thought it might get done this past week, but things changed for the worst fast.

Check out the CBA thread below this one; Jay Feely had a lot to say about what's going on at the meetings...

24. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    "1) speculation is based on what was said & implied by the media, on comments Parcells personally made before walking away from the organization"

Noting was ever mentioned in the press or by Parcels that he felt it was all on Sparano for moving the Oline around. Parcels never commented anything on the offensive line at all. He did, or supposedly was quoted as, saying he was not happy with the way Henne was developing. To be honest, I watched them everyday and IMO, Penny was the better QB. Thats not be a homer but just what I saw. He passes were on target and when they practiced throwing to the corner of the endzone, Penny was perfect each and every time. He actually had anice long bomb type of accurate pass too. Henne was inconsistant in summer camp as he was in the season. What I mean is, passes were high, long or short a lot of the times. Again, this is just MY opinion of what I saw at Davie this summer.

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is how I interpret it....First of all, 23rd and some others imo, were right about Henne up until this point, and had him not being successful last year as the year went along..Personally I was done with him at midseason...However we all love our team, and if our coach and staff want to give him another chance, 23rd is just gonna support that decision without hatred towards the player...We all {at least ones that have no ego about whos right} want our players to be successful while they wear the jersey..jmo..

the 23rd likes this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend mommabilly:
    said this in a previous post...

a trade would be one of them, however, I don't think it will be the teams first choice of resolutions

27. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Players have no advantage on their side of the bargaining table. To be honest, the few times I have seen this Maurice Smith Character I get the impression he is a real snake oil salesman type and is trying to make a name for himself. Listening to Kevin Mawae is real real hard. The man is as much as a negotiator as I am a rocket scientist. I am not a Goodelll flag waiver either but man, the NFLPA is just blowing smoke in the wind, they have nothing at all to hold against the owners, nothing.

On one side of the table you have some of the smartest money people in the USA ( owners ) on the other side of the table you have a wise *** Smith and guys that were good or great football players but have a hard time figuring out their tax returns. Who do you think has the upper hand ? :)

28. mommabilly

May 3, 2010

Hey, if Chad Henne turned out to be very good this year I would be the first to jump and be happy and jubilant. I just do not see it and I pray I am wrong because the main thing this team needs is a QB. Does not have to be a Peyton Manning but we need someone to get this thing going. With no QB, we have no running game as the box will always be stacked. Even if we did have a running game , we are not winning many games without a QB that can get the defense moving around. Right now, Chad Henne neither is consistent nor does he ge any defense to back up. I see no FA Qbs that impress me either and Sam Bradford types are not that common so yes, I wish the kid well but would not bet the farm on it.

29. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this is simply an inaccurate statement.
    there were things mentioned, apparently, you missed them.

1) it was Parcells that went after both Smiley & Grove to build the interior line
    Sparono was responsible for Donald Thomas being added to the roster
    it was Sparano, by his own admission, that dismissed the entire interior line
    in favor of what he thought to be a superior interior line for pass defense.
    took some serious balls to make that decision & very bad judgment
    inevitably, the decision would prove to be a season ending mistake

2) Parcells was dropping hints about Henne as early as training camp.
    the schism came & went with little fan-fare or belligerence
    Parcells favored open competition for the start
    while Sparano openly declared Henne to be the undisputed starter
    of coarse, Sparano had bet the house on Henne
    after rearranging the offensive line to favor the passing game

and so it is we find our-self in 2011 rebuilding an offense:nutkicker:

30. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I agreed with most of your original post, but this is just isn't accurate. Smiley's shoulder is shot and would not have helped us or made our line better - he spent the season mostly keeping JVilles bench nice and toasty. Grove spent half the year on the bench injured last year, something he has a habit of doing every season. When he was cut, nobody - nobody - went and picked him up. 32 teams in the league, many with below average lines and centers, and not one team thought Jake would improve their situation.

Thomas getting cut can realistically be debated, but its not like he was jumped on and started tearing up the league after getting cut.

The fact is we went after several injury prone guys in a short term attempt to shore up the interior. They fell apart faster than expected, and along with other injuries (such as Garner) the interior was a liability most of the season, though arguably was more than adequate in pass pro the majority of the time.

The fact that we weren't prepared for Grove/Smiley to fall apart so soon is incumbent on Sparano, Parcells and Ireland equally, though mostly we have just been beset by bad luck at the position.

31. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    We'll take it and like it...

32. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    I personally do not make it my mission to bash a player or coach in every thread until they are traded/released or fired. I have my issues with Sparano, I hope he improves as a HC because what else can I do?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  33. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    [​IMG]

34. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    if you dont like it, then too bad. youre a dolphins fan, which means youre doomed to suffer the up and down roller coaster of hope and crushing defeat.

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

1) Smiley & Grove had injuries & missed games. this is nothing new in the trenches, its common place. in 2010, a number of starting offensive linemen missed games due to injury. just off the top of my head I can name @ least nine teams effected: steelers, raiders, 49ers, giants, greenbay, seashawks, bucanneers, panthers, even the jets with their premier offensive line suffered injuries. this is why you need depth & versatility on the offensive line.
    Smiley, bad shoulder & all, was traded to the jaguars (& played in 2010) obviously his injury had healed for him to pass his physical.
    according to Sparano: Jake was cut primarily because on money concerns not injuries http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/09/1815860/miami-dolphins-cut-center-jake.html

2) why he felt that Thomas had to go, I don't know.

be it as it may, I believe you don't close down one of the better interior offensive lines, replacing them with a rookie, a journeymen & potentially a problematic player. Sparano could have played the starters, working the replacements into the scheme, transitioning the line, getting the most out of veterans, as you develop talent & timing, allowing for a measured evaluation of the newbies throughout the season.

as it was done, it cost us a season & Sparano should have known better. without the offensive line dominating the trench, our running game was eliminated, which in turn put everything in the questionable hands of Chad Henne. if I were to rate the bad things on the 2010 offense, they would be: the Offensive Line, the Running Game, then Chad Henne. ironically, they're all linked to the disruption of the interior offensive line (one of several very bad decisions by Sparano). Tony should have been more prudent, his decision to rift the entire interior line was hubris.