1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were GM and we finished 7-9 would you draft a QB in next year's draft?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Brasfin, Oct 28, 2013.

If you were GM and we finished 7-9 would you draft a QB in next year's draft?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2013.
  1. Yes, on the first day of the draft (1st round).

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. Yes, on the second day of the draft (2nd round).

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Yes, on the third day of the draft.

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. No.

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    A team can't crumble around a 2nd year QB and then expect him to effectively pick up the pieces.

Fin D likes this.
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'm pretty sure that I saw posts nearly identical to this during the henne days (not from you necessarily). Now, I think Tanny is betetr than Henne but he's not leaps and bounds at this point either. Lots of other teams have o-line issues and their QB is not turning the ball over 14 times in 7 games.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I already stated the Chargers bungled it. But if you have both Brees and Rivers, you are in a good position. They effed it up of course, but that's hind sight. They should have kept Brees and jettisoned Rivers. But having two great QBs is not a bad problem to have.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How can they have had two great QBs and made a mistake but it still be a good problem to have? This makes no logical sense.

5. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The only thing the Chargers bungled was not getting an asset for either QB. They could have franchised Brees, gotten him healthy and thent raded him for at least 2nd round pick. Or they likely could've gotten a first for Rivers. But SD was absolutely justified in drafting Manning/Rivers. Brees was horrible the serason before and even he admitted that he needed the push of fighting for his job to help him turn the corner.

And also, Rivers was unquestionably great his first few years in SD and he did get to an aFc Championship game. Not his fault AJ Smith and Schotty couldn't see eye to eye which got him stuck with Norv.

6. DullFinsSuck

DullFinsSuck Banned

Oct 28, 2013
    Let me know when Tannehill reaches 4,000 yards - this season or any. He's not a franchise centerpiece. Fortunately, Tebow is available!

7. DullFinsSuck

DullFinsSuck Banned

Oct 28, 2013
    Just because they're from Florida.

8. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Because a smart GM would maximize it (draft picks for Matt Schaub) while an arrogant, egotistical SOB will squander it (Smith not getting picks for Michael Turner or Drew Brees/Rivers). It makes perfect sense ... to most people ;)

Note that Schaub was taken 5th, after Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, JP Losman (lol at Buffalo). 3rd round. They parlayed that into a 2 2nd rounders as well as moving from 10th to 8th in the first round.

Brees played fantastic in 2004, and great again in 2005. He did injure himself, but they still offered him a contract which he refused. It was a slap in your face contract. It was the same per year as the Saints contract but much more incentive laden. Typical AJ Smith.

That's the mistake you have. It's the same as having two great running backs (Michael Turner and Tomlinson) and then getting NOTHING for Turner when teams were offering picks for him.

Oh, and I forgot Vincent Jackson (letting him walk without any compensation in return). That's the AJ Smith way. He's so confident in his abilities to draft he didn't bother stockpiling picks.

CashInFist likes this.
  9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He is on pace for 4,043 Yards this year. Douchebag.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Giving a young QB time to develop applies to any highly drafted 1st or 2nd round QB, Henne or not. You try your hardest to put them in a position to succeed and with the pieces around them to do so, and you continue doing so until they've reached the point that you can say with some degree of confidence that they either are or aren't the answer. Except for a few rare instances, that doesn't happen within the first year and a half. It's typically a 3-4 year investment in a higher draft pick QB to discover what you do or don't have. Sometimes they look like the answer by their second year and then regress or fail to develop further like we've recently seen with Henne & Josh Freeman, and sometimes it takes them 3 or 4 years hit their stride and blossom. Just b/c the second comings of Peyton Manning & Fran Tarkenton and some spread-option QBs saw great success as rookies or year 2, I don't think it's rational to hold every other young QB to that standard. A lot of great QBs would never make it if that were the case.

11. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    If a guy like manziel is there then u almost have to pich him, but the tackles in this draft aren't to shabby either, or Eric ebron te could help this team as well..

12. The Finest

The Finest Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 3, 2011
    If you're drafting a qb. It's in the first round.

13. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    7-9 and a 80 QBR rounds a lot like Jason Campbell territory.

The second full time year is when the elite quarterbacks tend to make a move that don't leave any doubt. Elway is a rare exception to that rule.

Tanny is not making the move. Maybe the team around him a sucks which, well, brings us back to Jason Campbell's so-so career.

We should be drafting a QB every year.

14. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If we're going to keep lining up QBs behind this line and with these WRs, we're going to be arguing we should draft a new QB for a long, long time.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  15. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Aaron rodgers leaves no room for such excuses. Go look at who Rodgers is playing with right now. The elite QBs make the guys around them better. If we had Peyton Manning, with this group of receivers, even with the line, we would be 5-2 at worst right now and a Super Bowl contender

16. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I agree we need a better offensive line. But they can only give the QB a comfortable opportunity to throw, the cannot make the throw more accurate, the decisions correct, the awareness more acute, etc.

I don't think Peyton Manning could overcome a bottom 10 line. But if you have something around the middle of the pack, a great QB can still make enough plays out of whatever opportunities there are. The 2008 Steelers were one such example, the 2011 Packers were another.

It's tougher with such a young QB because he's probably not trusted to make the audibles at the line. You can bet your grandma Peyton would audible out of a play action for a bubble screen or a quick slant.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I voted no. but the reality is, where are you picking? Who's available? Any guys with Franchise potential?

I don't think Miami should draft a QB. Let Tannehill finish year 2. Let him have year 3. If things are still dicey, draft a QB and give Tannehill year 4. The San Diego method, so to speak.

18. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Im willing to give him Drew Brees years. But if by year 3 we don't see anything I'm drafting a QB.

19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Putting the draft aside, what if a veteran unexpectedly becomes available. What if Chicago foolishly decides they don't want to pay Cutler?

What if McCoy and SD's GM decide they want to mold a QB of the future and dangle Rivers?

What if the Steelers put Roethlisberger on the block?

20. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i would surround tannehill with an oline and not a sieve. i would then find an OC that knows how to call and plays and doesnt abandon the run.

Aquafin likes this.
  21. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    To OP............
    I would draft a QB almost every year. If they turn out to be worth something, you can trade him, that is if you don't need him. There are always injuries that need to be replaced and QB's are worth more than most other positions.
    I am not giving up on Tanny just yet. You have to give him an honest chance to succeed and he doesn't have that with this OL. Just because one QB can survive does NOT mean every other QB should be able to. They each have their own strengths.
    I have been on the fence about Ireland until now but I am starting to give up on him. There is no excuse for this OL being so bad after this long. NONE. He can't blame it on injuries either. This OL stinks. I'm just not sure Ross will let him go.

22. ATLFINFAN

Nov 23, 2007
    Personally, I don't like Cutler. He seems like a head case to me.
    Can you trust Rothy to stay clean in Miami, off the field? I'm not sure.
    Rivers..................I'm on the fence here too.

23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I laughed out loud

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Look at Chicago's record with and without Cutler the last two years. I don't care that he's a little moody.

Ben has been compeltely clean since his marriage and everything I hear from Pittsburgh fans is that off field stuff is completely behind him. Look at it this way, if you swapped Ven and Tanny right now I imagine the Steelers are exactly what they are and we are 5-2 at worst

25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Rivers, only if we can protect him (that goes for all QBs though). Big Ben has been clean for years now. He's really cleaned up his act (like Jared Allen and Vincent Jackson with their DUIs)

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Unless your 100 % that you have a franchise Qb you do serious scouting on the position, than if someone comes into your territory presenting good value, if you have a high grade on the player, you pull the trigger..

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pitt would be stupid to get rid of Berger.

28. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    If we finish 7-9 (which I can't see at this point, I'm think 6-10 is the best we can hope for), Ireland is fired. We will bring in a new General Manager, at that point all bets are off.

If I was the GM?

I would draft a quarterback, in the 5th-7th round.

We have a starting quarterback.

We DON'T have a left tackle, right tackle, right guard, a heavy running back, speed at receiver (we have Wallace but...) and we may need 2 starting quality defensive tackles (you need three in this league and we may lose two in the offseason).

I'd tell Joe Philbin, who I like, that he has to fire his offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and offensive line coach. If he balks, I turf him and hire a new head coach and let him decide on his own staff, as long as those three are dismissed.

I have serious questions about this coaching staff. I dislike Mike Sherman more than I ever disliked Dan Henning. Sherman, in my opinion, is the ONLY reason we lost to the Patriots. The officials ****ed us, Sherman ****ed us even more. If I'm Ireland I would have asked Philbin to fire him this morning.

29. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was thinking a little bit more developmental perhaps. Some of the guys that intrigue me later on in the draft are:

A.J. McCarron - Alabama
    David Fales - San Jose State
    Bryn Renner - North Carolina
    Connor Shaw - South Carolina
    Jordan Lynch - Northern Illinois
    Jimmy Garoppolo - Eastern Illinois
    Kenny Guiton - Ohio State
    Tommy Rees - Notre Dame
    Cody Vaz - Oregon State

I could see both McCarron and Fales moving up into the 2nd round area when all is said and done. I need to watch more on Garoppolo, but I've seen some nice things in the Draft Forum on him. Kenny Guiton will get overlooked by most everyone simply because he's been a backup. However, when he's played, he reminds me of Josh Johnson. He can move around a good deal, has a decent arm, isn't rattled. I would want him purely as a #3 QB starting off, but I think the tools are there. He might also give you a weapon you can use elsewhere a la Kordell Stewart.

30. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I voted yes. All I know is if we finish 7-9, it better not be Ireland drafting.

31. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Honestly, no, unless we're at a point the draft where people at the needed positions is grossly overshadowed by BPA. So... maybe.

Despite me believing that Tannehill will be, at least, a very good QB, I'm not discounting the possibility that he won't be. At the same time, our offensive line is really our main problem. Pouncey, Incognito, and (provided that he consistently plays the rest of the year the way he played on Sunday) McKinnie are our only linemen that's been playing at good enough level. I'd focus on Guard and Tackle first hand. Then a running back, then maybe a QB.

Just sayin'.

32. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I think 7 wins is the cut off. I now it sounds silly but I think 6-10 gets him fired, 7-9 gets him another chance.

33. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I voted for spending a late round pick. Thats not really a statement on Tannehill but a statement on how important the Qb position is. I think taking a Qb late in the draft is a good value pick if he can at least be a backup. He'll be cheap and learning our system and who knows, maybe you'll get a good solid backup or potential starter down the road. I think giving up on Tannehill after 2 seasons would be a mistake, give him 3 seasons then make a decision on him, after 3 years we will know exactly what we have and what we don't. If we can improve the Oline and get more talent at the RB position I think Tannehill will thrive with much less pressure on him.

34. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Tannehill deserves 3 years as a starter. I give him next year. I fire Ireland. I first figure out what kind of team are we going to be and draft / free agency around those needs.

Oline, Safety, and corners. Oh and a STUD Running back.

35. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    See i think the idea was to draft a QB in 2011, but it didnt work out that way. You dont just go in saying, " we're going to draft a QB, regardless "....... So i dont even agree with the question.

As far as this upcoming class, there are going to be a few guys scattered about the 1st and 2nd rounds that I really like. But I believe the best way to improve the team is to stay the course, and add pieces to the foundation. Taking another QB is lateral move that would set us back before it could help us. Unless of course, its a clone of Andrew Luck. We all knew Tannehill was as raw as it gets, so why are we talking about replacing him after 20 or so games ? This just reeks of restlessness.

36. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    ..... and i dont for the life of me understand the " cut off" where you decided what kind of job the GM has done..... your basically saying a few breaks here or there on the football field should determine the guys body of work. That's ridiculous. His work is primarily finished before the season starts, as far as that years roster is concerned. Did we not field a team that can and should win enough games ? Why would anyone wait until the season is over to play captain Hindsight ? You guys make zero sense with your assessments of player personnel, leave it to the experts..... Or are you really too arrogant to conceed that Ireland is an expert..... ? For the record, I like the defense he built from scratch.... I like having a promising young QB for once. I saw us dominate a half of football in Foxboro, Ireland didnt blow the 2nd half. There are far bigger problems with the franchise than the guy who has slowly helped bring this team from being by far the least talented to one of the more talented teams, in just 5 years. Sparano, Henning, Henne, and the wildcat really gave the offense no chance to progress the 1st 3-4 years. But Ireland is blamed for those 7-9 seasons now. I know, I know........ you still think MAtty Ice would have been awesome on this team ........... :up:

37. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If I were the GM, I would draft a QB and let him and Tannehill fight it out for the position. Of course if I had been the GM in 2012, Tannehill would not be the Dolphins QB right now.

I wanted the Dolphins to draft Luke Kuechly with the eight overall pick and Russell Wilson in the second round in the 2012 draft.

38. ATLFINFAN

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm not taking a RB unless we lose one of ours. With our OL, these guys have done a reasonable job. We need OL, OL, OL, OL...........and Pouncey. Then we can worry about the rest of the roster and see what our offense can really do when they have a chance.

39. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Our games are competitive. We played 7. Won 3. Got dominated once. Lost two heart-breakers. And were robbed of a win once.

Compare that to the typical Miami Dolphins season of the last 10 years (save 2008):

Played 16. Got dominated 9 times. Lost two heart-breakers to Oakland and Carolina. Ref screwed and dominated by NE. Beat Jacksonville. Beat Jets. Beat Buffalo. Won 1 game against a playoff team (somehow).

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  40. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on the 3-4 record at this time and the four previous seasons that the Dolphins did not have a winning season, Ireland has not performed the job of a good GM, which is to provide the talent to the coaches that will be good enough to make the playoffs.

Sparano took the blame the first time. Now it is time for Ireland to take the blame for not drafting or signing enough quality talent to get this team beyond mediocre.

So far the rookies drafted in 2013 have done very little (Jordan - Sturgis) or absolutely nothing to improve this roster.

The only players added in free agency who are worth the money they were paid are Gibson and Grimes. Wallace has been a total disappointment so far and Clabo was a total bust.
    Ellerbe and Wheeler are no better than Dansby and Burnett and according to most football stats, Dansby and Burnett are playing better than Ellerbe and Wheeler this year.

With all the holes this team had going into the draft and free agency after last season, Ireland just didn't do a good job bringing in players who could fill these holes at a quality level.

A judgement of Ireland and the job he has done isn't just about this season. It is about this season and the previous five years he has been this teams GM. He just hasn't shown that he is capable of selecting enough quality talent to get this team to a level beyond mediocre, therefore it is time Ross sends him on his way and hopefully brings in a GM who can finally turn this organization around.