1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to say it now...

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by NaboCane, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    ...although I said it before he was hired and ever since:

Randy Shannon should NEVER have been the University of Miami's Head Coach.

I'm watching the NC game and regardless of the final outcome I'm not going to wait because an eventual win won't change my mind.

I just saw the UM Defense get absolutely GASHED for a 76-yard touchdown, and it is clear to me that Butch Davis KNEW exactly the D that Randy was going to play today, hands down.

Randy HAD TO KNOW that Butch is familiar with his Ds and yet he did NOTHING to counter that - just went out and played exactly what was expected and is getting gashed by a 4-2 team missing ten key players to an agent scandal.

For years I've pointed out that he fails to develop even the greatest pure talent that comes his way, and now it is clear that his D - his forte - is woefully inadequate against even opponents that should be overmatched against the level of talent he has managed to recruit.

From his days as DC when he failed to develop guys like Rocky McIntosh, who went on to be better as a pro than he ever was at the U, to failing to develop a 4.2+ Sam Shields (WHO THE **** CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE A PLAYER WHO RUNS A 4.2 IN COLLEGE?!), his failures have hampered the program right up until the present day.

Now it is abundantly clear that in 3 years he has absolutely failed to develop Jacory Harris, a kid with all the natural talent you could want, but one who has not progressed one whit past being a great HS Quarterback.

Jacory has the same arm and the same ballsy style he had coming out of Miami Northwestern, but he also has exactly the same football IQ because he has not been developed by Shannon's staff, and he is suffering because of it...and the U is suffering with him.

Add to that Shannon's snarly disdain for the media - and therefore, the fans, since the media is our only conduit of information about the team we love - and the way he has of alienating key players, and a picture emerges of a petty tyrant who is squeezing the team ever tighter in a vain attempt at control he can never reasonably exert.

This week lauded recruit Latwan Anderson left the team and will likely transfer, citing a lack of faith in the coaching staff, and a key recruit from Northwestern decommitted for the same reason. In past years Miami has had only TWO QUARTERBACKS ON THE ROSTER FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON because Shannon had two of them transfer in the same week.

Miami will not be great again until Shannon is gone, but it goes deeper; it is also imperative that Donna Shalala GTFO to make way for a President who understands what having a great football team meant to the school and the city.

Shalala is responsible for the overmatched Shannon in the first place, since she wanted to resolve the position on the cheap instead of reaching for the best talent available.

Our beloved U is in trouble, guys, and it will not be on the right track again - a CHAMPIONSHIP TRACK - until Shalala gets the **** out of dodge and takes sad-sack Randy with her.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Mike Leach is available. :yes:

3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Quick - lock the electrical closets!!!

4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    ...and while I'm at it;

Millions of Australians on the planet and Outback couldn't find ONE real one to voice their commercials?

GTFO, Outback. And your steaks still have the marks where the Jockey hit them.

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I wish UCF would hire him.

6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    If only he knew there was a thing called defense in college....

7. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Mike Leach doesn't think you play defense or run the ball in college.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He also pushed Texas Tech further up the polls than that program had any right to be.

But Randy Shannon is just untenable.

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Why would anyone take a coaching job here? This won't become a dirty program for a while.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Jeff Van Gundy.

11. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Shalala got the game ball last week :lol:

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    /searches for the "you suck" button

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  13. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTJ0UFfvvC4"]YouTube - Hurricane Gameday: UNC vs Miami Tease[/ame]

It's at the end...btw, every time I see her I think of a little f***ing troll.

NaboCane likes this.
  14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Exhibit A:
    Sam Shields left The U with no idea how to watch film.

This thoroughly confirms my contention that Randy Shannon is NOT teaching players anything, and any play - good or bad - is a product of what each player brought with him from high school and what he's been able to learn on his own.

You have to wonder what players like Colin McCarthy might have become if Shannon's administration actually developed players.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sam Shields never appeared to be the sharpest knife in the drawer so it wouldnt' surprise me if he was to blame too.

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I literally laughed my *** off when I saw him in the preseason get a pick 6...then as he got better as the season went on, it wasn't comical anymore :glare:

17. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    He's capable, just never taught at The U.

How many players do you see struggle at The U and then succeed in the NFL?

If the NFL truly is light-years harder than college, how can capable players underachieve consistently at Miami and then succeed where the game is light-years faster and the other players bigger, and the schemes more sophisticated?

It's counter-intuitive.

Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

And they don't come much simpler than Randy Shannon as a Coach of any kind.

18. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Besides; forget position play - how do you NOT FIND A WAY TO USE A 4.2 player at all to your advantage over 4 years???!!!

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I was wrong and you are correct. Surprised that he picks it up quickly, honestly.

It's no secret that the players in Miami are not being developed properly. I think we can all agree on that.

NaboCane likes this.
  20. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

ooo, I like this idea...Gruden is overrated as a pro coach but he'd be phenomenal at The U.

21. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    They said that about Wannstedtt when he went to take the Pitt job. He seems outmatched in college too most times.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I am hearing all sorts of Gruden to :theu: chatter, maybe trying for a Jimmie Johnson style rebirth to his career?

23. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
  24. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sunday could be the day.......:praying:

25. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Wannstedt's Achilles heel will always be player evaluation, college or pro.

Case in point: he thought Tyler Palko over Joe Flacco was a good choice.

Gruden is much the same in the pro game, but he might be better choosing prep talent.

26. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007

The one guy I'd give a lot to see hired to helm The U is Jimmy Johnson

27. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    JJ is done Nabo, he is like the guy at the eating contest who just cannot stuff one more hot dog in their gullets.

Now if we wish to go back to the future, Dennis Erickson is still coaching...

28. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I'll make this prediction now: Jimmy Johnson will be the Head Coach somewhere next season.