1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm guessing right now might be a bad time to look at buying a new laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My current laptop is four years old, so its getting near the end of its expected life anyways, but it was also repaired once when it fell off of a table, and then later when the rivets used to repair it bust loose. Its time.

But when I started to look at new ones online, I realized that the pricing is absolutely insane. My current machine is an i7, with 16 GB of RAM, and I paid $700 for it. Ones with those same specs seem to run around $1500 right now, and if I wanted to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM, they can be over $3000!

I'm guessing its all due to the chip shortage, and stores price gouging while they can. I guess I'll just try to keep the current one alive as long as I can. Anyone have any good advice on the topic, though?

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not sure. I helped my friend look for one last winter and we found some good ones settled in the $1100-$1400 range, which is what you'd expect for a slightly future-forward laptop. Not sure if they've ballooned since then.

My 10 year old desktop is in the shop right now. I'm trying to get it up and running so I can start buying music production stuff but everything is outdated from the OS to the USB ports. Hoping I can make it work with some bubblegum and matchsticks.

Definitely going to have to upgrade within a year or two.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Good luck. After asking around a bit more after I posted this, the consensus seems to be that supply shortages due to Covid are having a huge impact on the PC market. Everything is both very simple and very expensive. The manager at one store advised me to just wait it out if I can.

4. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks. Yeah I don't know much beyond the lack of labor with regard to the shipping and manufacturing issues right now, just because the nature of my job.

I ordered a Roland SP404 (the new version- it's a sampler/drum machine) a couple weeks ago and I won't be getting it until March, probably. Stinks.