1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imho, Steelers paying for rushing Big Ben back

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Dec 11, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    *Gosh* the Steelers have lost 5 in a row, and the sports media is atwitter with explanations for the "why" that is.

Check out his numbers since the KC game:

From 398 to 278 to 201, 3 TD's to 2TD's to -0- TD's

Big Ben had a concussion in the KC game, Derrick Johnson laid him out with a knee to the helmet, Dennis Dixon played one game, after Big Ben said he would start until that Friday, they lost to the Ravens and reinserted Big Ben and he has been cowflop since then.

gafinfan and adamprez2003 like this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah, I'd say he hadn't completely 100% recovered. But they needed him and gambled on the severity of that concussion. They also trusted him confirming his health status.

It also doesn't help when his offensive line is comprised of 5 turn-styles. You didn't mention the sack numbers but I venture to guess by last night, that he wasn't going to do very well getting blasted through that stretch. That too has to do with the lack of timely decision-making on his part, but was the Browns secondary/pass-rush really THAT good?

In all, I can't say that Big Ben alone has been the problem since the KC game. Too many moving parts in football to target just one. I actually expected his offensive line to step it up knowing they have an already concussed QB's health/career/life sitting behind them. It is however, likely that his decision-making had been negatively affected by the concussion.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    they werent that good last year but they got the right breaks at the right time. this year they have no Polamaulua whih is like their version of bob sanders. defense isnt the same when he isn t playing and their offensinve line sucks just enough to make big ben useless plus the fact he's dinged up. its aperfecct combination to bring them back to mediocrity. i think they will draft offensive tackle in next year's round one

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If you look at Big Ben's numbers Adamp, they plummeted after he sat out for the Ravens game, and they have steadily gotten worse over the last two games.

Sacks, TD's, yardage, Derrick Johnson rang his bell, Hines Ward publicly questioned his toughness and since he came back he just is not the same player.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    There is something wrong with him, I watched that game and he just would not get rid of the ball. He seemed confused with the pass rush, he was a statue in the pocket and just didn't seem to have that 'sense' Qbs have to have to get rid of the football. His oline played like garbage but he took a lot of sacks he didn't have to take. Honestly it was the worst game I ever saw him play. They probably would have been better off sitting him against one of the if not the worst teams in the league in Cleveland, and Dixon honestly might have faired better since he could have rolled out a lot and ran some Qb draws, etc to get around the rush.

padre31 likes this.
  6. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree but some of the sacks yesterday can be attributed to great coverage by the Browns. He's never been a "throw away to play another day" QB but he almost looked lost in the game.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Dude, the Brownies are 30th or something in pass defense.

They have a Wr playing Safety if that tells you anythng.

I saw the same things, normally Big Ben extends the play, this time he tried to, never found the underneath Receivers and got sacked 8 times.

clearly, Ben ain't right, they lost Batch and did not wish to risk playing Dixon, Big Ben will recover fully sooner or later, he was not jacked up by the Brownies, but in the short term, the Steelers are screwed.

Makes a bit more sense that we have Thigpen as our #3 and not some newbie who has never played a down in the NFL until a couple of weeks ago....

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I thought Dixon played well when he played, the ending was unfortunate but he's a young player, those things happen. Honestly I think he would have faired better than Ben did, not because he's better but he's healthy and with that line it would help to get the Qb out of the pocket.

9. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Call it great coverage or bad WR play but the Steelers WR's did nothing to help Ben. Some of those sacks were coverage sacks and some bad decisions on Ben's part.