1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impact of a Lefty QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan94, Aug 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    As many of you know, our wildcat leader last year was Ronnie Brown. As some of you learned in Week 3, and some might still not know, he's a lefty. This year, we drafted Pat White to be our wildcat QB, and he's a lefty as well.

So how does that impact the overall game? How does everyone adjust?

First, the WR have to adjust to the angle the ball is coming into, as the angle is different on a pass down the middle. But that shouldn't trouble reliable WR.

But how do pass rushers adjust? In most teams, the best pass rusher lines up in the QB's blind side. For a righty quarterback, its his left, and for a lefty, its his right. So would a pass rusher move over to the other side when Pat White comes into the game? And how does our OL adjust if that happens? Does Jake Long move over to the right side and Carey to the left? Is it easier for lineman to adjust to that change than rushers? Or do we leave the other team's best pass rushers(in Week 1 Abraham), go against Carey and risk a sack?

Looking forward to people's opinions

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I would think we leave our o-line the same. If we start moving them around it might give away the play or confuse blocking assignments.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    what gives White the advantage is his passing on the run & ability to read defenses & run (when appropriate) like a RB
    left or right is 6 of 1, half dozen of the other
    with an appropriate SingleWing/Spread offense he will excel @ QB/RB
    more interested to see how everyone would respond to an unbalanced line to the right as opposed to the left

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The O-line if anything would simply shift the TE or a back to that side if infact the DE made his presence known that easily. Standard practice to put the TE where you expect pressure, even slide protection to that side.

Most people don't realize that an O-line does actually split protections, in terms of allocating the center to one side or the other giving one side of the line an advantage. Often times the left side of the line is given only 2 men (LG, LT) whilst the C shifts his attention to the right side. Both players on the left side are typically better athletes, and may handle the duty better than their typically athletically limited brethren on the right side.

gafinfan and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Personally you don't change the blocking assignments... no need to when both Carey and Long are reliable Tackles in both the passing and running game.

Our recievers are fine, because they get to see the thows in practice, the other teams defensive players might drop more balls because of the different spin though.

6. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with you there. If you was change the line when the Wildcat or when Pat White is in the game, teams tend to notice that and will add pressure to the opposite side of the field to create the most havoc.

7. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How so? By bringing in Pat we already know that its going to be a wildcat play. If you mean that its a passing play, then we leave Long at the right side even on running plays to not give it away ONLY IF their best rusher goes to that side. That is my main point. We only do this if they move their pass rusher

8. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Why do we need to do it. The Rt is capable enough to block his man then fine. If not, move the TE and call it a day. Moving tackles around is not the best thing in the world to do, as it does create issues within the blocking scheme as it asks players to do things they aren't used to doing.

And it may cause more thinking than reacting, which means those players may be half a beat slower. There is enough on these guys plates as it is, adding this would only hurt in my opinion.

9. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I seem to remember us running a unbalanced line, with Jake split to the right next to Vernon, most of the time we ran the wildcat last year.

gafinfan and Anonymous like this.
  10. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007

It's also more thinking on the D's part, and this is something that we will have practiced since training camp.

OK, I'm going to call it now, Jake Long lines up as a full back twice this year! :tongue2: (hey, at least I didn't say he was going to be the fly motion man...)

cnc66 likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    It really wasn't most of the time. It was the "original" version we used to start the formation, then we utilized more of a traditional line. We did use an unbalanced line moreso on Ricky's sweep to the right than most other runs.

Other formations within the WC package we stuck with a regular line.

Two Tacos likes this.
  12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

You don't switch tackles or guards from their normal positions just because you have a lefty QB in there. One of the advantages we have on our OL is at RT Vernon Carey is pretty solid and has played LT before, so he is more than capable of handling the opposing team's best pass rusher. If not, slide the TE or FB to that side to help.

All of which is to say pretty much the same thing everybody has already said above :lol:

13. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Weren't we unbalanced everytime we ran the fly/jet sweep action? I guess it doesn't matter, but I do think we have shown that we aren't afraid to play with formations to get match ups, even with the line. I think we went unbalaced from some standard short yardage sets too.

14. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    We don't gain anything by screwing around with the line unless it's by design. Honestly, I would go a step further and put Garner in Fasano's spot (if he can catch) in the unbalanced line to solidify the blocking for run plays.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    there are many viable systems of play