1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improper License suspension lega recourse?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Coral Reefer, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Any lawyers in here that may know if I have legal recourse from having my License suspended by clerical error?

I paid a traffic ticket on time.
    However 4 months later I get pulled over on the highway to find my license is suspended. I get arrested and miss a damn interview because of this.

I had no idea what this could have been from until I go back and research my licesne to find it had been suspended for failure to pay the ticket I paid. Upon calling the county the lady said she see's payment had posted in time and flat out tells me it must have been a clerical error!

You know if any citizens make a mistake like missing payments or court dates or anything you get penalized and nailed to a cross to make an example of the need to be accountable YET when police or Gov't screw up we just have to eat a big shiznit sandwich! It's not right.

So anyone know if I have any recourse here at all?
    I'm sick of taking this kind of crap.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Wow, you must think very highly of us if you think there are any lawyers among us.:lol: Anyways, I'm no lawyer, but I would think you could at least get them for defamation of character. Find you a hungry dog and I'm sure he can get you a few bones out of this one. I hate it for you, it's a sucky situation that could happen to anyone of us and is not fair. Good luck and keep us posted.:up:

alen1 likes this.
  3. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    :lol:

It was worth a shot to see if there were anyone besides us regular delinquents on here.

We used to have a few lawyers among us and I know we've got a couple of docs around. It's a VERY frustrating situation. Gov't. or police agencies will NEVER admit any wrongdoing even when it's blatantly obvious that they were.
    I am still the one that has to dig myself out of this and they still expect me to pay late fee penalties on the ticket and the fee to reinstate my license even though the counties rep admitted it was their mistake. :sidelol:

If I didn't laugh I'd cry.....

4. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    I don't know what he specializes in, but I think Phunwin is a lawyer. I may be wrong, but I think I read that here somewhere.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  5. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I used to work for an insurance company paying claims.

You've got a pretty good case in proving the county should be liable unless they have some kind of immunity, your real problem is establishing what damages (if any) you've suffered.

Just think about what a legal claim is going to cost you in terms of emotional input and time invested in the case. I've seen too many people ruin their lives when they pursue claims when they would have been better off just putting it behind them and moving on with their lives.

6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

As much as I hate to say it I have to agree with Pauly on this one. Its gonna cost you more to get satisfaction than its worth. I might be wrong and if you can find a lawyer that will hear you out before charging you at least you will know what cost you are looking at.

Good luck, which I could help more, stick it to them if you can.:up::hi5:

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    CR I also got pulled over in a similar situation. The cop told me my license was suspended, I told him that was impossible. He said I had an unpaid ticket in a different county (which I paid months earlier). He let me go if I promised to get it taken care of.

When I called the Highlands County Clerk of Courts they said they had no record of me sending a check, only to call me the next day and tell me they mysteriously found it.
    Fubar.

Ive said a THOUSAND times traffic tickets are the biggest joke. One way in which the system fails us on a daily basis IMO.

8. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    this crap almost happened to me too. i would be furious

9. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I am Maynard but like many have said I pretty much just have to accept it.
    I did speak with some attorneys that voiced pretty much the same view as a couple of others did in here. Attempting to go after them for the problems they've caused me is a tall order and one that would have me coming up with a lot of up front cash to persue it.

It's ridiculous.

Again, it's so frustrating to know that as a citizen if you mess up even a little they nail you to a cross but if they screw up you're just supposed to be ok with it.

I'm in kind of a tough spot right now, going through some tough times and missing that interview hurt quite a bit. I got rear ended on this one.

10. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Unbelievable bro! :pity:

11. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I'll give you guys a laugh on this.

This entire situation stemmed from a ticket I got in Key West on one of those moped rentals. The headlights went out on the friggin thing about 1/2 a mile from my hotel one night. I got pulled over and got the ticket for driving without headlights on. Can you believe it? All this because of headlights on a moped.

I was actually going to fight the ticket in the beginning as I felt the Moped rental should be responsible but I decided I'd just pay the stupid thing and move on.

The drama with this ticket just won't die.

In addition, Monroe County can't send the d-6's to me to clear this up without me sending them a stamped envelope and the fee to have them sent back. 2 weeks they quoted me.... "unless you wan't to drive down and pick it up sir". I told her HELLO! I'M IN TAMPA WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE! :lol:

I can't even begin resolving this until I get the stupid d-6!

This whole thing kills me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah government I find will rarely reimburse you for anything even if its there mistake. I spent about $50 extra on my passport because they MISPELLED MY FREAKING NAME. Had to resend pictures twice, recopied stuff, needed mailers and such, a big pain in the *** for THEIR mistake. Never saw a dime in compensation ofc.

Especially being a fairly far away location it will be difficult for you to recoup anything on your losses, I feel for ya man, government takes and takes and takes, but good luck getting back.