1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the year 2058 ...

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by DrAstroZoom, Jun 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
  2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I have a big problem with this part:

From what I know a.i. is far from being advanced enough to where we have to stay ahead of it.

Celtkin likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That's exactly what the "A.I." folks want you to think.....hahaahaha

Actually, since A.I. doesnt have LAZYNESS or LACK-OF-MOTIVATION programmed it, theoretically speaking once they are even - they are actually passed or have surpassed their HUMAN Intelligence equivilant neighbor.

4. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    and its a long way till they get even. Right now speech, and interpretation, natural language processing, is based more on a pre recieved list then the machine actually "knowing" something. Recognition is making some progress but still is far from being at the human level, and so on. Point is we are very far from giving robots free thought to where they can even be a threat so to speak, or be our superiors.

5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    How can that be possible as syntax varies among languages?

6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Do you think a rule will be - all Hand-held neuroimagers must be left on the nightstand before any "pillow-talk" shall commence?

7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Scary list, for the most part.

alen1 likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't like this one. I think if those items were to be implemented, they should be for convicts, sex offenders and basically any people who have a criminal history.

Also, hopefully by 2058, we will have people who commit a serious crime locked up instead of people who do or sell drugs. I don't use drugs nor do I endorse them but I don't see how they have an affect on another person if one is using it. The only affect it could have is bad influence. If that is a problem, then one needs to learn to say "no." imo.

I'm not following on this one. How would a handshake spread a disease? Can someone please clarify this for me.

9. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    It's hard to a say this without being crude, but not everyone washes his hands after gong to the bathroom.

Celtkin likes this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I know that, I just never thought that could be a major disease-spreader. I thought there was more behind it.

11. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    That plus people sneeze into their hands. :up:

The enteric microbes passed from not washing is pretty gross but most infections are spread after a person touches their nose or coughs or sneezes into their hand then touches another person or thing and that person later touches their own face or mouth.

Miamian and alen1 like this.
  12. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    No to mention the dreaded 'toilet paper poke through'.

This is an event I learned about in a Florida Food Manager course a few years ago. Yikes!

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The problem I have is the idea that we would not be far enough in medical science to make disease something that isn't really cared about

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is 50 years from now. 50 years ago computers were sizes of rooms. I don't know if the rate of changes is going to be similar. I do know that they are probably going to beyond many expectations.

Unless we all kill each other.

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    computers became smaller because of smaller electrical parts. Thats a different situation IMO.
    I'm not saying its impossible, but I am saying it is a little unlikely that our a.i. technology will expand that rapidly given its current status. There is still a ton of research to be done, in the human body, and then transferring that over to computers.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    There is tons of research to be done. We are talking about 50 years man. That is a long freaking time when it comes to research. Especially with computers. AI has come along way in our time as well.

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    It is a long time. But the thing that I see with a.i. is its a problem that seems to get more and more complex with further advancements. I don't know I just don't see machine learning advancing as quickly as most people think. It's not like software development, computer architecture or any of those other areas that can advance quickly.

18. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ive been saying this for years. Not for the reason of a birth defect, but I guess a win is a win.

19. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Huh? A.I. is actually a lot like software development and computer architecture.

20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    in what way? You build programs, but thats about it. Software development centers around more of development patterns, architecture patterns, process in other words and setting up standards, thus making building systems into more of an engineering process. Computer architecture is more of the set up of the computer:

21. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i'd be more concerned if children are being genetically engineered not to keep up with AI, but in order to form a predetermined class structure at birth, whether it be determined by wealth, rank, location, etc. i have no doubt once genetic engineering becomes available that'll be the first real abuse of it. "oh i can't dare see my son be a janitor or a cripple. heres 2 million give the bad genes to that poor family over there"... yikes

22. miami#1

miami#1 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    springfield, missouri
    if i remember this was recently voted down in missouri as a way to "mark" legal workers in the state

edit- ok i did some research and i guess they voted that it should be illegal for an employer to force its employees to get microchiped. but it doesent ban them from being used

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/05/29/missouri-law-would-fine-employers-requiring-microc/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  23. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I can see all the negative points to this but if true I really feel sad for you young people. Much easier to train children properly than to have the government dehumanize people. If that is the way you want us to go then I'm very glad I won't be around to live in that way. Don't ever want be in a place or time where I can't hold someones hand or hug them if needed! :cry::no:

RGF likes this.
  24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hmm, some fascinating and crazy stuff. The pace of technology is just incredible on so many fronts. Medicine and nanotech are imo the most exciting and will be ofc the most influential.

8. Children of the baby boomers will work into their 70s because of a labor shortage -- and because they can.

bleh. But then again, if I live to 140 I guess Ill need to work more to pay for it. A fair trade I suppose :)