1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indy could be in trade talks with Phin's for Vontae Davis

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinsRDbest, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I really hope this is just some BS rumor. We play the Patriots twice a year we cannot sacrifice our #1 corner (he is I don't care what one episode of Hard Knocks said and him being a little out of shape) for a potential draft pick. I mean it's hard to find a play making CB with the talent and tackling ability of Vontae. When the pats come out in 3 receiver sets WE WOULD GET TORCHEDDDD.

Bpk and Mcduffie81 like this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    How exactly did that price get arrived at?

From the starting point of Jim Irsay mentioning a high pick, no less?

3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Tweets from Colts owner Jim Irsay:

This seems a more probable situation (as one poster pointed out regarding MJD).

Link: HERE

ToddPhin, dolfan22 and Pandarilla like this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not entirely sure what you think Davis has been protecting the Dolphins from, considering he's not been covering Wes Welker or those tight ends.

5. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Yes I know but If we get rid of him instead of marshall, davis and smith being on the field, it would be carroll

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I still consider it a luxury when Surtain could move inside on 3rd down.
    Davis was sucking wind and beat down.
    VD is being pushed.
    You people don't see it.

7. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Guys multiple sources have confirmed it is neither MJD nor Mike Wallace in the trade talks

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

A reach around from Rachel while she is behind you wielding her strap on? My goodness you are the kinky one. :D

Paul 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  9. MrClean

Damn I'm old, I had to use the urban dictionary to even know wtf a blumpkin is. I do agree though, it involves two acts that should remain separate.

Paul 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Hypothetically, that guy is already on the team.

11. MrClean

That was Davis for a WR. This is Davis for a pass rusher. Not same.

12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Missed that.

As always in the NFL, there are always......smokescreens.

Sans "rumors", what makes the most sense for a team with a rookie QB with the potential of Luck? A corner?? Or a big time playmaker on offense who can help take the load off the shoulders of that rookie QB quelling a defense to tee off on the future of your franchise?

The owner of an NFL franchise does not tweet the things he tweeted for a Vontae Davis. Why excite fans over Vontae Davis? Most fans probably know him simply by his being Vernon's little brother.

Vontae may indeed get traded, but I guarantee that he is merely the consolation prize.....

13. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I'm intrigued tell us a little more.

14. MrClean

Collie has concussion issues doesn't he? How about Hughes and a 2nd rounder?

ToddPhin likes this.
  15. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Could be Cary Williams from Baltimore:

16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't like Hughes for our defense, but if a 2nd were included I'd do it. Could always use Hughes as a nickel pass rusher, no?
    I'm not sure they'd ditch Hughes now that he's beginning to look ok in their 3-4 switch. :dunno:

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Whoa whoa whoa lol

MrClean likes this.
  18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    who the **** hijacked this thread to talk about vontae davis??!!! this thread is about blumpkins/magicians/flying camels.

[​IMG]

19. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To us id say vontae is worth the first we used on him at least, but that would be more than anyone would pay right now id think.. so don't see this happening unless one side is desperate

20. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

A team in need of a young corner with starting experience and the upside of Vonte would part with a later one imo.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How 'bout Indy giving a 1st & 2nd for Wallace AND Jones-Drew?
    ________________[​IMG]

dolfan32323 likes this.
  22. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

To add to your plausibility... wasn't Bill Polian just in here a week and a half ago commenting, as he watched practice, on how Vontae looked like he had incredible tools. I believe Polian said Vontae could be a Pro Bowl level CB if he just focused more, or something to that effect.

Polian, of course, was president of the Colts from 1997-2012 (this past season) before being fired by Irsay. I would assume they don;t have a close relationship, but maybe Polian does comunicate a lot with the remaining Colts personnel guys and talked Vontae up. At any rate, Polian's praise for Vontae's potential just before the Colts getting interested is a possible link.

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. Bpk

I think that's Boomer's M.O.

Float a faked-up theory in Club... wait a week, then leak it to a few news sources to validate his own rumour.

But in America, rumor is spelled without a u my friend! That was the giveaway!!!! BUSTED!

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. Bpk

Depends, is Nolan Carroll now on the field for 40% of our defensive snaps against every teams #2 WR... because I think that'll cost us way more TDs and yards than Jordy Nelson scores in a game.

25. Bpk

You have to look at the time cost. We see none of that benefit this season and that's the main problem with that idea.

If we were acquiring a WR today in trade for Vontae, we could consider it. For a pick next year, I don;t know man.

I think it's more likely we trade him for a player than a pick. Unless we are TOTALLY giving up on this season and are stockpiling picks already.

Maybe we could have all the coaches scout college games during the week this season instead of gameplanning, in that case. Just allocate all the resources to next year. lol.

26. Bpk

He picked Tom Brady off twice. That has to count for something.

27. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    [video=youtube;mpHBAJXOKgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHBAJXOKgk[/video]

dolfan32323, Paul 13 and Bpk like this.
  28. Bpk

LOVE that moment. It says EVERYTHING about vontae's confidence and that he is not intimidated by ANYONE. That's one of his best traits.

Marches right past Brady and lets him know, "I gotcha for TWO now." lol. Even Tom acknowledges it.

Killer Bees likes this.
  29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    In years past I'd definitely agree with you, but now that we have Tannehill I'm thinking about a WR who can help maximize his potential (even if it's not till 2013). It's not an easy decision but I'd probably prioritize Tannehill's future at the expense of our 2012 secondary. If we didn't acquire Richard Marshall then I'd say no way in heck. If we're talking Indy's 1st rounder (even if it we had to sweeten it with a 3rd or 4th) then I'd do it in a heartbeat considering they could very well have a top 10 pick.

shaddup

Bpk likes this.
  30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Are there any decent cornerbacks left on the open market?

31. Bpk

I doubt they'll be top ten, but maybe 12-15. If it's for a pick, it has to be a first rounder or I don't even consider it. I mean, they get to use him all season while we wait to see our return next season? This is why a 3rd in a current draft is worth a 2nd in a future draft, just about.

I just don;t see this as a good trade... Hughes, more 3-4 as people have pointed out. Freeney, too old considering this year we are rebuilding for the future. Mathis also too old.

So who would we want? No way they part with Reggie Wayne, perennial Pro Bowler unless we send them Vontae AND a high pick... but they wouldn;t take Luck's best WR away!

So what do they have that we need today? Nothing. Just a pick for the future.

Like I said, only if it's a 1st.

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    for real and he was a rookie.

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah, I agree, they don't have any players I want from the list they'd be willing to part with.
    I wouldn't want anything but a 1st either. I'd perhaps consider a 2nd and a decent player, depending on the player.

Not sure if you'd still be ok with us throwing in a mid rounder to sweeten a deal for their first. ???

34. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I disagree. I very much like the idea of trading a player you were expecting to round the corner into greatness and lead your team, only to show up out of shape and play in a way that gets him demoted.

That sends a very clear message to your roster. We're developing a winning team culture here, and if you're a guy who should be at the point in his career where you're a main contributor to that and you let us down significantly, it's time to move on.

Joe Philbin's concern about the way the defense is playing is exemplified by Vontae Davis of all people. Here is a guy who should be leading that group much the same way Jake Long has become a vet with enough tenure to now lead the offense. Instead he's been demoted.

If you truly want to develop a winning team culture, I think you get rid of players like that.

In terms of the development of your team culture, it's addition by subtraction, and it sends a clear message to your locker room about the accountability you expect players to have for themselves, especially ones who should be assuming bigger and more important roles on your team at these points in their careers.

I guarantee you about the time Vontae Davis is traded, that defense will wake up in a real hurry.

Colmax likes this.
  35. Bpk

Maybe this is right. It takes a few years for coaches to get 'their kind of players' onto the roster (working with the GM of course) so they can establish the culture they want.

I don;t think Philbin likes guys who are jokers, have lax atttidues, or seem too complacent/comfortable about this. He expects them to treat it like a profession to which they are truly DEDICATED.

shouright likes this.
  36. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Precisely. And much in the same way you get value toward the salary cap from guys when they're in about their third year as a pro and playing very well but haven't yet gotten their monster contract, you get value from guys toward your team culture by having them take on leadership roles at the appropriate points in their careers.

You see Reggie Bush and Jake Long doing that right now. They're vets who have enough tenure in the league and play well enough to become team leaders. And they're doing that. The team culture Joe Philbin is trying to create here will be aided by that significantly.

Vontae Davis on the other hand is a guy who is letting the defense down tremendously. He should've come into camp playing the way Bush and Long do, with the mindset that he's going to become a leader on defense much like they are on offense.

Instead he's been demoted, and we have this gaping hole of leadership on defense.

Like I said, I think you get rid of guys like that. Let that crap go on on some other team, and go forward with the idea that you're going to do a better job of identifying this garbage in the draft so you can obtain guys like Bush and Long who are going to take on these roles you need players to have, rather than having huge disappointments like Davis.

37. Bpk

The thinking at the time of getting Davis was, I think, sure he has maturity questions but he is so gifted we can't pass him up AND we have enough leadership on defense to help him grow up. You draft this kid BECAUSE you have Will Allen and Yeremiah Bell around him.

Where Ireland failed was at replacing those leadership guys. If he EVER hoped Vontae was going to become one of those guys, Jeff was just wishing, not planning.

38. Bpk

And I would not at all call Davis a HUGE disappointment. Until this preseason he has started for us and played decently. He is a minor disappointment, not a major one.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But put your last two posts together to create the context. I think he would be a minor disappointment on a team that already had good leadership in place. On this team, where the establishment of leadership and a team culture is happening as we speak, a guy with Davis's talent who is at the point in his career where he has enough tenure to be viewed as a leader by his teammates is a huge disappointment, IMO, if he comes into camp and plays in a way that gets him demoted.

Hell he's not only not taking on a leadership role, he's regressing with regard to his physical play!

40. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Possibly, but I think this one is on the player. I think it was reasonable to assume that based on Davis's play last year, you could count on him to come into camp and play well, if not become a leader on defense.

Hell it's a feather in Ireland's cap that he went out and got Richard Marshall. Imagine the mess they'd be in from just a physical play standpoint if they hadn't gotten him.

Bpk likes this.