1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info on how Ireland/Parcells drafted...D/O Line are his favorites.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by sweeper, Jan 3, 2008.

1. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    http://www.thephinsider.com/

2005, Ireland's first draft a VP, the Cowboys were very successful. Dallas hit on their first 5 draft picks. They were DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Kevin Burnett, Marion Barber, and Chris Canty. And we can't forget about 7th round pick Jay Ratliff, who has started 14 games in the 2007 season for the Cowboys.

However, 2006 and 2007 weren't quite as successful for Ireland and the Cowboys. Their 2 first round picks from those 2 drafts, Bobby Carpenter ('06) and Anthony Spencer ('07) are not starters, though both do see action in Dallas' linebacker rotation. However, they have found some solid reserve players, such as Anthony Fasano, Jason Hatcher, Pat Watkins, and James Marten. They did find a very good kicker in 2007, though. Nick Folk has converted on 84% of his FGs, including being 24/26 from inside 50 yards.

We also can't forget about some of the key free agent signings that the Cowboys have made since Ireland was promoted to VP of college and pro scouting. Dallas, the past 3 offseasons, has signed free agents like Akin Ayodele, Anthony Henry, Leonard Davis, and Ken Hamlin. All 4 of those players start and contribute to the success of the Cowboys.

All in all, 38 of Dallas' 53 players were brought in while Ireland served as VP. Of those, 12 of them are starters. And another is their kicker, who technically isn't considered a "starter." Not too shabby, I suppose.

I also wanted to quickly look at the positions that seem to be targeted by both Ireland and Parcells. These two were together as the key decisions makers for 2 seasons (2005 and 2006). The Cowboys drafted 16 players over the course of those 2 years. Of those 16 players, 10 of them are on the defensive side of the ball. In fact, 5 of their 6 first-day picks were either a linebacker or defensive end. And of their 6 offensive players selected, 3 of them are along the offensive line. What might this mean? It's clear that both Ireland and Parcells are big into building a team from the inside out. Exactly half of their 16 picks are players who play on the line, either offensive of defensive. So that could very well mean the Dolphins will look to address both of these units in the 2008 draft. I know it's early, but it seems like the smart money for what the Dolphins will do with the #1 pick (if they do not trade out of the spot) will be on Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, or Chris Long.

I found that to be very interesting.

2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks for the info.