1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial Thoughts on #8 in the 2012 Draft ....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PHINANALYST, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Haven't spent much time this year reading up on the draft, being in AF -- but thankfully there is always the 'Draft Winds' team to point you in the right direction ...

Will always be a Defense 1st type guy, and will only talk #8 options - so here goes:

First and foremost is the great unkown - Tannehill ... not having much to go on with Philbin (whereas Parcells was much more predictable - except round 2)

Does Sherman believe that much in Ryan ... did he do enough along with workouts to convince both Ireland and Philbin that he is the future. We are done debating Henne and Moore got relatively little thread coverage (all things considered as compared to the last few years). We have a body of work to look at from Moore .... and it was decent. How much better it can get - who knows .... What i do know, is that if anyone thinks Tannehill is Ponder -- then please do not pick him. the last thing i will say about Tannehill, do not move up to get him ... if you believe, and he is there at #8 -- so be it.

Back to Defense:

Coples - Has everything we are looking for in a SOLB ... Roth was the best we have seen in Davie in the last 5 years ... the one thing Coples lacks is speed -- but he will lock down the edge. Is he Julius Peppers - doubtful, everything points to Quentin being at least an above average SOLB/DE for a long time. The question is ... is this enough to help Wake? Or do we go the route of Nick Perry for the more speed rusher to compliment Wake? We have Freeny as a developmental project as a speed rusher and could put Dansby and Burnett outside (since Misi can't get there) ... but at the end of the day -- we do NOT have a true SOLB/DE, and Coples is this in spades.

Claiborne - is without question a Top 5 talent ... and doubtful that he is there at #8, but depending on how the chips fall ... do you take him if he is there?? It would be hard for me to say no.

Kuechly - is without question the best ILB on the board this year ... the question is - do you take the kid @ #8 ... my answer is - yes, i would. even with Dansby and Burnett. He locks down the position for the next decade - and can take over as the D Captain in year 2. sure we have Burnett, Dansby and potentially Misi for ILB .... but this kid is better than any we currently have on the roster. More than anything, i think we are missing the 'Captain' on the defense ... rumor has it Burnett tried it early on last year and failed.

Those are my 4 choices @ #8 ... personally, i only believe we stay there for Tannehill, Coples or Claiborne (not likely to be there). Otherwise, we trade down if offered the opportunity. So realistically, i see either Tannehill or Coples being our #8 pick - should we stay there.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'll treat Tannehill alot like I did Matt Flynn..

We have internal guys who know these QB's as well as anyone, the fact we didnt go hard after Flynn tells me a guy who saw him everyday didnt feel like he is a franchise QB. Same applies with Mike Sherman and Tannehill. If we take him at #8 I have to believe that some pretty good evaluators think he is the real deal. If we do not...how can I be upset about it? I and nobody should pretend like they know more about Tannehill than Mike Sherman. So basically Im entrusting the guys who are closest to the prosepect. (Also spare me the its Irelands ship BS, if he thinks highly enough of these guys to sign them as coaches he sure as hell will trust there opinion on 'X' player)

On to the other options...

Coples does have the make up and there are some great things I saw in his 2010 highlight tapes, but can you teach effort? No. Someone has to have it or not have it and a kid who is auditioning for his dream job who seems to not give 100%? To me that outweighs the natural talent.

Claiborne? Agree it's moot...not likely to be there but IF so..yes. Ireland has already brought in CB's rated highly so I have to assume he would like to find a better starter than Sean Smith.

Luke Kuechly, plays with the instincts and desire as our old #54 did....but with more athletic ability and strength. Still, I feel like #8 is a bit of a reach...would be alot more comfortable trading down a few spots and taking him. Either way next to Andrew Luck IMO there is little doubt Luke is a sure thing not as good as Patrick Willis but better than Dan Conner(who is good).

I'll bring up Nick Perry because I feel from a pass rushing standpoint he is the best in this draft. He turns the corner and its over, not so sure he translates well as a run defender that will be the difference for him in his career.

3. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    if we draft a MLB we have to get rid of fat dansby and his enourmous cap number. I like that move