1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside Slant by USA Today

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/dolphins/home.htm?loc=interstitialskip

OTHER BATTLE FRONTS: Reagan Mauia vs. Boomer Grigsby for the starting FB spot — It seems slanted in favor of Boomer because of his better hands and special teams prowess. Mauia, who played all 16 games his rookie season with a slow-healing fractured hand, did catch the only pass thrown to him Saturday, a nine-yarder. But Grigsby snared one for 14 yards.

I really liked what I saw out Boomer during the game. It was only the first game, but I like the intensity, and wanting to do something with the rock once he got it.

2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Boomer looks for contact and loves to hit and be hit. He's a throwback to the old school hard nosed football players Parcells loves. Kinda hard to get rid of a guy that plays like that and contibutes on Special Teams as well.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mauia got rocked by Jermaine Phillips. Phillips has layed out others before but a 260 pound man? Either Phillips is really strong or Mauia is really weak.

I've been keeping my eye on this battle.

4. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro Mauia was looking at the linebacker and preparing for contact with him. Phillips came out of no where.

Larryfinfan and alen1 like this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Looking at the gif, your correct.

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    "I mean, we're running routes on air and we're not catching the ball. ... We go to the game and we don't catch the ball. I can get anybody to do that. We really need to make sure that we're concentrating on catching the ball. I have not been happy with that end of the deal right now. We have to keep the ball off of the ground," Sparano said.

See how much more Tony is going to take.:wink2:

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I like Boomer better, but this is a power running offense, and the team already has some special teams mavens (Davis, jones, etc.) This staff has declared that the FB must primarily be a bulldozer for the RB far ahead of being versatile.

Boomer said that in his last interview (knowing he wasn't brought there for his hands nor to carry the ball, but just to open holes for Ronnie and Ricky). Coach Sparano referenced Boomer's quote in his own presser and said "He's right.".

That said, I think they'll like Mauia, who sucks at being versatile, but has more upside as a bulldozer if coached well. He is (still) raw, but I think he can become a punishing battering ram.

Despite this regime signing him, I think Grigsby is a surprise cut.

Bpk

8. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Mauia has hands of stone and doesnt play as big as his size would indicate. He better do something more than take up space or hes gone. I like Boomer better after only seeing him in 1 game.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.