1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INSIDE THE NFL Mock Draft 6.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Like a rite of spring, it happens every April, maybe a week to 10 days out from the draft. It's uncertainty time. That pre-draft period when even the things I thought I knew about this year's NFL pick-fest start to look a whole lot less solid than they did just a few short days ago.

Talking to league sources this week has made me re-examine assumptions that have been weeks in the making. Maybe the draft won't be led off by a lineman named Long after all. Maybe top-rated quarterback Matt Ryan really will linger until No. 8 Baltimore. Maybe New England has at least two natural trade partners that will be coming after its No. 7 pick. Maybe Chris Long and No. 4 Oakland aren't the match that many presume.

In my penultimate attempt to mock out the draft's first round, here's what I think I "know" now

1 DE/LB Vernon Gholston Ohio St Jr. 6-4 255
    Virtually the entire mock draft world has moved to the Dolphins taking Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long in recent days, and Miami clearly is giving him priority in terms of its pre-draft contract negotiations. But when it's all said and done, we're forseeing Long and his agents leaving the Dolphins' take-it-or-leave-it below-market offer, and rolling the dice that the No. 2 Rams will ante up. It's obviously a very fluid situation, but our sense is Bill Parcells' focus will shift from Long to Gholston in the near future. As for Chris Long, who has topped our mocks for a while now, it would seem that the Dolphins love his maximum-effort playing style, but also believe he may already be as good as he's going to get.

LINK
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/17/mock.draft6.one/index.html?eref=T1