1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspiration

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by King Felix, Jan 18, 2011.

1. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Okay, I originally wasn't going to post this. I don't want the attention but it might inspire some of you. So I figured I would post it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes a person or event can inspire you to do something you normally wouldn’t. I’ve been inspired by a person to give back to less fortunate. Now, I don’t come from the richest family, but I’ve never gone through such a tough time were I was living on the streets. Some people aren’t as lucky. My friend for example doesn’t really have a home to live in, and he is my age. He made a few wrong decisions like a lot of us do while growing up. It’s unfortunate because in high school he had a great future. Living from house to house (or on the streets), and never knowing when your next meal is, is something I don’t want to experience. I sympathize for anyone that has to do that, for whatever reason.

A week ago I decided I wanted to go into Portland and help an individual who is less fortunate than me, and living on hard times. Yesterday I decided to make it happen. I rode the max into downtown Portland. I walked around in a circle for what seemed like an hour. I walked by many of the same stores, and passed people that I had seen multiple times. Admittedly I was getting a little frustrated. I didn’t have a plan of what I was going to do, and sometimes approaching someone who looks homeless can be intimidating. I only told a few people my plans before I left, and most weren’t sure of my safety. As much as I wanted to go help someone, I was still a little judgmental in who I was going to talk to, and try and help. Finally I found a guy sitting down, looking very lethargic. He had a sign that said “Every penny helps”. A lot of people will ignore someone that has a sign begging. I’m thankful I’ve never had to do that in my life. I saw him from a street away, and when I was walking towards him, there was another guy with a guitar singing looking for a few dollars. I didn’t give him any, because all I had was a $20 bill. I walked up slowly to my soon to be new friend, and was still hesitant to ask him if he wanted to go get something to eat. I read his sign and smiled. He managed to smile back, and right when he did all my fear/hesitancy was gone. I asked him if he was hungry, he said yeah. I asked him if he wanted to get a bite, he said sure. Like I said he was looking lethargic, down, and tired. He managed to crack me a smile, even though he has nothing to smile about. After I asked him if he wanted to get some food, he popped up and put his sign in his bag like he just woke up and full of energy. The first thing he said after he got up is “That guy over there is a dick. I’ve been here for hours, and he just shows up with a guitar.” I already felt the struggle this guy was having, and how much it really means to him, “Every penny helps”. I asked him what his name was and he told me JD. I introduced myself and we got to walking. I asked him what he wanted, and he said whatever. I originally suggested subway because it’s the best bang for your buck, in my opinion. We ended up at Pizza Schmizza, which I soon learned that he “loves”.

JD is 29 years old. He has been living on the streets for only a few months, and is from the Hillsboro/Aloha/Tanasborne(which is where I live. Suburb of Portland) area. His wife is 26, also living on the streets. He then tells me she is 3 months pregnant. After I heard that I was really happy that I chose him. I can’t imagine living on the streets, let alone with a wife who is 3 months pregnant, and stressing trying to get her off the streets. He asked me about my life, and I didn’t have much to say. I bought him a slice of pizza, and a drink. He thanked me a handful of times. I didn’t order anything; I just wanted to talk to him. I asked him how he has been copping with the recent cold weather. He told me that his bag had been stolen the day before for the third time this winter, and it had a few coats and a really nice sleeping bag. I felt bad because I have a coat that I never wear, and never thought about bringing it. He probably could have used that just as much or more than the meal. JD washed his hands, sold change to Pizza Schmizza, and then we left. I didn’t really want it to end that quickly so I told him I would walk to wherever he wanted, and then go home. We ended up walking quite awhile it seems to a local Safeway where he said he is usually around. He talked about sometimes getting a hotel with a few friends for $45. Three people pitch in $15, and one person pays it while the other two sneak in. He told me it’s a lot better than a shelter because it’s clean, he can take a shower, sleep in a nice bed, and not have to worry about the drama, dirt, and stealing that comes with a homeless shelter. We got to Safeway and he found an entrance to sit down and continue doing what he was doing before I came along. He thanked me again, and told me if every sees me again he hopes he can repay me. I told him not to worry about it, and I wish him and his girl the best. I walked away feeling very good, better than I’ve ever felt before.

You might be wondering what happened to JD? Why is he living on the streets? Why can’t he get a job? Those are all legitimate questions. But those are questions that I have no interest in the answers. I’m more worried about if he and his wife are getting enough to eat, and staying safe. We all make stupid decisions, sometimes repeatedly. I think everyone deserves a second chance, and no one deserves to live without a roof over their heads. Even some of the biggest scum on earth (murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc.) have a roof over their head in jail. Sometimes I wonder which is worse jail or having no place to live. I was inspired to try and make a change, and I hope that I may have inspired JD to do something better.

It was just Pizza Schmizza, it was just $5.79, but I learned every penny helps. I urge all of you to help someone in need too. Helping someone directly is the best feeling I've had, but you don't have to help out the way I did. Maybe you have an extra coat you never wear anymore, or maybe you have some cans of food in your pantry that you can afford to give to a can drive. You don’t have to go to the streets to help someone, there are plenty of other ways and organizations that are made to help people in need. You never know, maybe life will throw you a few stones and you will need help someday. As for me, I plan to go to Portland on the first Friday of every month to help someone out. The money means more to someone in need, then it does to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thoughts?

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    You aren't showing off how you bought me that pizza again are you?

jetssuck and King Felix like this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    nice story. most people ignore the homeless, some are willing to throw 5-10 bucks their way, very few brave enough to take them somewhere to eat.

4. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    thanks. and yeah there are many ways to help homeless but none of it can equal the time you spend talking and brightening their day.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    God bless you and God bless your friend JD

dolfan7171 and King Felix like this.
  6. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Much more so than the money, the fact that you took the time to talk with him speaks volumes, and probably was what he needed most. I commend you. Great story.

King Felix likes this.
  7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for posting. We can all use reminders to help those less fortunate. Seems like you found someone who was honestly down on their luck and appreciated a meal. I've tried giving food to homeless before, and gotten the cold shoulder. They were only looking for booze / drugs. Not that I can blame them I guess. Even the homeless have to be careful about accepting food from strangers.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That's awesome of you KF. Hopefully all works out for JD and his wife. God bless.

King Felix likes this.
  9. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Good stuff. I am glad you was there for that person!!

King Felix likes this.
  10. Pavlous

Pavlous New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Its good to hear that there are people who still help to the less fortunate. I mean, though they didn't come from a rich families, they still make ways to donate or give to other people.

King Felix likes this.
  11. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    sorry for the bump but I needed to read this again

12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Not to take anything away from your story because its great very personal thing you did. But a few weeks ago I go to the store to get gum and turn in my scratch off. I was heading out with some friends to drink. Well a guy asks me if i can spare any money. My initial thought was no, as i am dead broke myself and haven't gotten a pay check in 3 months. But I swear to you it was like a voice told me to give him $20. So I did....most I've ever given a homeless person.

Cool part of the story is I scratched off my new scratch off ticket before I left the store and it was for $100.

Boik14 and dolphindebby like this.