1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in a Finance Forum?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finswin56, Sep 18, 2008.

Would you be interested in a Finance Forum?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    It has been brought to our attention that there may be interest in a Finance Forum.
    Basically it would be about the markets and anything not politically involved in that realm.
    Please let us know if that is something you would like added to our site.

Thanks for the idea Ludacris :up:

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    why not, make the site more rounded.....

i vote yes! :hi5:

3. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i think if anything it should be a sub of the POFO... though finance and politics are different i feel like they attract the same people... start it off as a sub of the POFO and see how much action it actually gets before adding it to the main forum list...

4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i would volunteer my expertise in that regard considering that is what i deal with everyday. i think it is a great idea.

there are certainly a lot of myths and i'd love to answer general questions, debunk myths, and generally educate everyone. :up:

finswin56 likes this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    With the economy the way it is, I think it'd be a good idea. It'd be a great place to swap advice.

6. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i just noticed that someone voted "no".

who would vote "no" for a forum about financial advice/discussion? you don't have to visit it or post in it, but to say it wouldn't be an asset to this website i feel is a bit unfair. care to enlighten us (whomever said "no") as to why you think it is not a good idea?

looking at this completely constructively :up:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  7. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i voted no, because A.) I would be of no use to the forum as i know nothing on the subject, and, really, without posts from yours truly a forum is most definitely not worth reading.... :tongue2::sidelol:

in reality though- i would support a finance forum, but the poll question asked if I'd be interested in it, and so i was just trying to answer honestly. Go for it though, i'm sure a lot of the membership would love it!

texasPHINSfan and finswin56 like this.
  8. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    haha, i appreciate your speaking up penn!

honestly though, the part i put in bold of your post is all the more reason to have the forum. the point is to educate those who don't know much about it :up:

not everyone is an expert on everything, but sometimes you have some that know more than others... you'd best be served at tapping their advice for those matters. i definitely defer to chris, boomer, and keith when it comes to scouting or draft notes as i don't know squat on that. ;) but that doesn't mean i'm against the draft forum... in fact i read it heavily and didn't post in it (lurked like crazy) b/c i was learning from those that knew. :up:

but i know what you're saying. i guess the poll needs to be made more clear, or specific?

9. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    haha no its fine as is- i was just trying to be a smart a** :wink2: but yea i completely agree. my friend IMed me the other day saying how the dow had dropped 4% or whatever it was, and while i realized it wasn't a good thing, i honestly didn't really know how bad it was/what it really meant in the long run. but i'm a believer in expanding your knowledge as much as possible so i'd probably visit the forum to try to figure some stuff out

side story: my only 'finance' experience was in 7th grade when i did one of those make believe stock things on AOL, and i pretended to put my 600 dollars that i had to my name into a stock, which i believe was Duncan yo-yo's, worth about .01 cents a share, so it was thousands of shares. anyway, the stock jumped a bit and i would have made 275k dollars had i actually done it. at that point i decided i was a finance god and didn't bother to learn anymore haha

orangefinfan likes this.
  10. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    rofl... ah yes, the stock market game. we all played it in high school. some were more successful than others, but in the end it really was (at that level) completely luck of the draw. ;)

but yeah, the thing about finance is it really affects ALL of us. everyone (at some point in their life) will have a retirement plan or 401k or something to that affect. Its not like algebra 2 or accounting or biology, where you have to learn it but chances are you'll never apply any of that knowledge in life... unfortunately for the masses, this affects everyone.

i'd be more than happy to write commentaries on the state of the markets and finances for the phins if said forum does sprout legs and take off. :up:

11. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

sure, why not.

12. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    If it could help me figure out a way to pay off the student loans that are almost as much as my rent, I'm all for it!

13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I voted no, but actually after thinking about it, I agree with the masses that have posted.

It would without a doubt add to the site :up:

14. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Algerbra 2 was usefull.
    Say your at a sample sale and 1 sample is X% off, but 3 samples are X% + and additional 10% off. You need to be able convert the discount quickly on your feet! Probably the most useful class I ever took. Now mind you I can't multiply past the number 6 if you paid me, but I could tell you the sale price at the drop of a hat!

Ludacris and texasPHINSfan like this.
  15. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I voted yes because I want Tex to educate me. When it comes to finance I'm generally lost so I hope you're a good teacher lol.

I cant say I'd do much more than lurk though, if that matters.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  16. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    i say yes

off topic. are you still keeping the c2c forum???

17. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    rofl... women & sales. ;) :lol: :up:

don't need algebra 2 to figure that out though, just practice. my cousin (who is very beautiful, but very dumb) dropped out of high school, never took algebra 2, but can tell you where all the sales are in a heartbeat and and instantly calculate better deals between two items.

weird.

that probably has more to do with where your interests lie than education, haha :beer:

18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Dumb idea. Anyone who voted yes is a Jets fan.

j/k :D

19. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I voted no out of my insurance communications paranoia. I'd hate for some user to take some "advice" off the site, run into some unfortunate circumstances and try to hold the site liable. I suppose you could build in some disclaimer language, but my day job has given me the yips on things like this. :)

20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I voted yes and I will probably just enter various threads and post SELL SELL SELL!

finswin56 likes this.
  21. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i don't see how the forum could be held responsible for a poster's advice.. people give advice on here all the time for a whole range of issues. we're all independent of the website, the website is just the vehicle and has no liability. besides, if i'm going to be honest... the SEC prevents me from making stock/purchase recommendations on here, and i actually won't do that anyway, b/c then i wouldn't get paid. :tongue:

i'm talking about finance theory and concepts, as well as market news and articles... all this stuff can be independent, non-partisan, and educational without any liability worries. If need be, someone could moderate against posting buy recommendations or what have you if this website is THAT worried about it. i know we have a couple of financial people on here, (wondering why they haven't spoken up), but i'm guessing we'd all agree on that resolution to that issue doc. :up:

FTR i'm on 4 other forums (they are all car-related), and they all have finance sections, and all are significantly larger than this website. food for thought...

rofl, that's awesome. if i'm ever in el paso we're getting some beers dude.... AFTER we stop at Chicos. :up: